Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack There are different setups needed if you are using your civic for drifting, drag or track racing

street racing from a spectators point of view

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iamboo is on a distinguished road
street racing from a spectators point of view

this goes together with the thread:Local Racin and Chill meet in O.C

anyways...

i used to think that street racing was a bad thing.... then when i started to go out there and watch, i realized that the people that do race on the street are very careful about what they are doing.... they never race around on coming cars, always race in a secluded area with wide streets, they never race when it's raining, snowing, or foggy... at least the people that i roll with.... it's like the same on the track... ive seen cars eat walls, go flying into each other, and people getting hurt ON THE TRACK... the only difference between the TRACK and STREET is that it's illegal to race on them (street) .... i'm not saying that all you people should go out and street race whenever and whereever you guys want... i'm saying that when people street race, the smart ones will take all necessary precautions to make it as safe as going to the track.... you can't say that street racing is 100% bad all the time, i'm sure many of you that say street racing is bad have done it and do it once in a while... doesn't mean you go out in big groups and race cars F&F style... but it could things like revving someone on the freeway or challenging your friends on a friendly run at the light.... point is... if you're smart about it, you can make it a fun activity...
Old 01-23-2003
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
I agree with you. Though some will argue that no street racing is safe. There's obviously two very different viewpoints on this subject.
Old 01-24-2003
Registered!!

BlkCivicAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
True, but more accidents have happened in street racing then on the track in respects to onlookers and drivers themselves. The thing about having it at the track is that you dont involve innocent onlookers. At the track the strip is in a designated area away from people watching and with a barrier between the two, where on the other hand if at a street race a car goes out of control there is no barrier between the car and the watchers putting them at a very high risk of injury. Second at the track it is in a controlled enviorment where if an accident were to occur there are medical teams and what not on site to help......I dont know about you but Ive never seen a ambulance sittin around waiting for an accident at a street race , nor a fire team waiting to fight any car fires caused from an accident.

These are enough reasons for me to stay away.........regardless of how careful you are you can still get hurt......even at the track. And if I myself am going to put my life in danger. I'd rather do it at a place where help is going to be there when needed. Plus seeing that street racing is illegal most people would bone out in the case of an accident so they dont get caught leaving only a few to help the hurt.
Old 01-24-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all

BlkCivicAngel, while you make some good points. Plenty of accidents happen at tracks. And yes most likely more accidents happen on the streets, but how much more street racing is there than track racing? Street racing goes on 24/7 while track racing only happens one day a week or so.

Just by the sheer numbers of how often street racing occurs it is gonna have more accidents listed. But if you look at accidents per race then you might get a more relative number.

Old 01-24-2003
DRJ
Registered!!

DRJ is an unknown quantity at this point
At least at the track I don't have to worry about the family of 5 that can pull out right in front of me during a race. That is reason enough to keep it at the track for me.
Old 01-24-2003
Registered!!

rgGolf4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I love how everyone tries to sugar-coat street racing. You can take as many precautions as you want, the bottom line is that its illegal and can have deadly consequences.

I like how someone said that at the track, you don't have to worry about a car pulling out in front of you. I think many of you miss that point. No matter how "safe" you think are when street racing, there are thousands of variables that you cannot account for. At least on the track, its either going to be mechanical failure or driver error. On the street, it could be a car pulling out, an animal running across the street, mechanical failure, imperfection in the road, a nail that pops a tire, cops...etc.

IMO, its not worth the risk to see if I can beat a Geo. PLus, if something were to happen, could you deal with knowing that you caused someone to get hurt or worse. I don't mind if I hurt myself, but when you put other people at risk for 17 sec of "glory", its just not worth it.

Old 01-24-2003

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all

We all know that streetracing is wrong and illegal. But everyone of you who are talking about how no one should do it is a bunch of hypocrites. Everything we do in a car could be deadly. Examples like speeding, going through a yellow, rolling through a stop sign. Studies have shown that every driver makes and error in driving or an illegal move "once" EVERY 2 city blocks.

Everything any driver does is dangerous. Even sitting in a car is dangerous. At least us streetracers can admit to that we drive fast and hard.

Everyone else is just lying to themselves.

Old 01-24-2003
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

[hr]Originally posted by: FlyRiceRacer02
We all know that streetracing is wrong and illegal. But everyone of you who are talking about how no one should do it is a bunch of hypocrites. Everything we do in a car could be deadly. Examples like speeding, going through a yellow, rolling through a stop sign. Studies have shown that every driver makes and error in driving or an illegal move "once" EVERY 2 city blocks.

Everything any driver does is dangerous. Even sitting in a car is dangerous. At least us streetracers can admit to that we drive fast and hard.

Everyone else is just lying to themselves.[hr]
good point flyrice...
Old 01-24-2003
DRJ
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: iamboo

good point flyrice... [hr]
What a bunch of BS. True, there is inherent risk in everything we do, but there is a big difference between that and knowingly participating in an activity that is dangerous. As for speeding and other activities, they are just as dangerous and correspondingly they are illegal too.

If I had your names and addresses, I'd inform your local police dept. that you're more than happy to admit you drive "fast and hard."

It's opinions like this that give import enthusiasts and automobile enthusiasts in general a bad reputation with the public.

Old 01-24-2003
Registered!!

We could get hit parked in a parking lot, but I would like to keep my odds of dying to a minimum. Therefore, I don't street race...or even watch. So, I am not a hypocrite. I may go above the speed limit, but there is a difference between going 40mph and 80mph. I go to the track. What is so hard about that?

I guess I'm to old to understand. Why is there a need to speed down a public road and put the lives of you, your passengers, and the general public at risk?
Old 01-24-2003

[hr]Originally posted by: DRJ

If I had your names and addresses, I'd inform your local police dept. that you're more than happy to admit you drive "fast and hard."[hr]
You want to talk to some cops here in my area? Why don't I let you talk to some of the cops that I know who come out to race with me. It's great when they are there because we get the all clear that we won't be bothered by other cops.

Don't even tell me that you have never has a time ever in your life that you have ever seen how fast you could go or raced someone else. It just all depends on the degree that we take it too. It's like a drug.

Hello my name is Tristan and I am a race-a-holic. Woopdeedoo, are you happy?

Old 01-24-2003
DRJ
Registered!!

Don't even tell me that you have never has a time ever in your life that you have ever seen how fast you could go or raced someone else.[hr]
I won't tell you that, but I've always found out at the track. I sure as hell wouldn't trust you, your driving or your car on the street. That is the point. Yes, there are people that love racing that don't race on the street.

It doesn't really matter to me who you get to race with you...cops or not. Darwin will take care of you all before too long. I just feel sorry for all the innocent and unsuspecting drivers that will get hurt or killed along the way.

Old 01-24-2003

[QUOTE]Quote
[hr]I just feel sorry for all the innocent and unsuspecting drivers that will get hurt or killed along the way.[hr]
Would it make you happy if I put a big decal on the back of my car that said "Warning, I street race" ?

Old 01-24-2003
Registered!!

1. I have never street raced thank you very much........for one I don't see a point in risking my life and I own a SOHC hx civic...........unless I do an engine swap to a B16 or something I wont even bother taking it to the track to get maybe high sixteens or 17.

2. Everything we do in a car is deadly yes.........thats part of the risk of drving. But why in the hell do you want to increase your risk of being hurt by speeding down a street with potential dangers at 100mph [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] That to me makes no sense. I mean do you consistently do this with things in your life.....know youre in danger but proceed to make things worse on yourselves.

3. Oh yes you admit you drive fast and hard Watch out now hes a big man who comes forward to admit he's totally willing to risk his life and the lives of others........sorry but thats idiotic to me. You want a cookie????

4. It seems to me you have that feeling that you are invincible..............have you ever seen a street racing accident? Have you ever seen a random person walking down the street killed by a car gone out of control? Probably not and thats why you are going to sit here and say to me that the people you street race know how to drive and know when to push, and know how to control your cars.................well I'm sorry but the reality is a car is much more powerful then you and it could happen, ask any race car driver with years of experience. They know that they can be the most experienced people in the business and still be hurt in an accident. '

5. I know I am not going to change your mind............but when something happens to you, or one of your close friends, or even an innocent bystander I hope you realize even if you werent in the car, that it is partly your fault and that you hold some responsibility for that person who was hurt. Think about living the rest of your life knowing you supported such an event that killed or injured some random person walking down the street. I dont know about you but thats not something I want on my conscience for the rest of my life

Old 01-24-2003
Registered!!

[QUOTE]Quote
[hr]I just feel sorry for all the innocent and unsuspecting drivers that will get hurt or killed along the way.[hr]
Would it make you happy if I put a big decal on the back of my car that said "Warning, I street race" ?[hr]
Nice answer - I can see now you have no guilt if you were to hurt someone...........you sir to me are a poor excuse for a human being with that attitude

Old 01-24-2003
DRJ
Registered!!

[QUOTE]Quote
Would it make you happy if I put a big decal on the back of my car that said "Warning, I street race" ?[hr]

Do what you want. You're responsible for your actions, not me.
Old 01-24-2003
Wicked Moderatuh

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
Old 01-24-2003

[hr]Originally posted by: BlkCivicAngel

1. I have never street raced thank you very much........for one I don't see a point in risking my life and I own a SOHC hx civic...........unless I do an engine swap to a B16 or something I wont even bother taking it to the track to get maybe high sixteens or 17.

2. Everything we do in a car is deadly yes.........thats part of the risk of drving. But why in the hell do you want to increase your risk of being hurt by speeding down a street with potential dangers at 100mph [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] That to me makes no sense. I mean do you consistently do this with things in your life.....know youre in danger but proceed to make things worse on yourselves.

3. Oh yes you admit you drive fast and hard Watch out now hes a big man who comes forward to admit he's totally willing to risk his life and the lives of others........sorry but thats idiotic to me. You want a cookie????

4. It seems to me you have that feeling that you are invincible..............have you ever seen a street racing accident? Have you ever seen a random person walking down the street killed by a car gone out of control? Probably not and thats why you are going to sit here and say to me that the people you street race know how to drive and know when to push, and know how to control your cars.................well I'm sorry but the reality is a car is much more powerful then you and it could happen, ask any race car driver with years of experience. They know that they can be the most experienced people in the business and still be hurt in an accident. '

5. I know I am not going to change your mind............but when something happens to you, or one of your close friends, or even an innocent bystander I hope you realize even if you werent in the car, that it is partly your fault and that you hold some responsibility for that person who was hurt. Think about living the rest of your life knowing you supported such an event that killed or injured some random person walking down the street. I dont know about you but thats not something I want on my conscience for the rest of my life

[hr]
These are in order to answer you numbered series

1. Who are you to decide what is right for some people and what is not for others? Just because you don't do something like smoking for example gives you no right to tell someone else that they should stop. It's their own business.

2. If we had a track then I would be on a track, our track down here is finally opening up in February. People do potential dangers everyday in their life that they know could hurt them. They drink, do drugs, smoke, have unprotected sex. I choose to drive, and drive fast I do WHEN IT COMES TO A RACE. I don't go more than 5 over until I get into a race. I have a specific spot that the person and I go out to if we are goingto race. It's on private land so there is no chance of someone coming down the road. Unless the race is close its never taken over 100. Once someone has pulled we shut it down because there is no reason to go farther.

3. Yea, I admit that I drive fast. This is not bragging. I am admitting it unlike how you are doing. Everybody dies, but not everyone truly lives. You sound like you live your life in fear of everything. That is not living. That is being afraid to live. It's a liberating experience to get in a race. But that is what does it for me. A liberating experience for you might be jacking it in your room with your parents in the next room. I don't know, but I'm not going to hassle you about it.

4. I don't feel that I am invincible, I have been ticketed before and I have been in accidents before. I have seen a pedestrian killed by a truck when he tripped out into the road. I know that I can die at any minute. While my ex and I were going out she did not want me to race because of the hurt it would put on her. So for more than a year and half I did not race because I didn't not want to hurt her. But now that we are broken up, I have no ties to anyone. I will race when I want to race. Now when I begin to date someone else, she and I will have the same talk. I never race with someone else in the car.

5. You are right that you are not going to change my mind, as I know that I won't change yours. When something happens to me while I'm racing I don't want anyone to be sad for me. I want them to be happy that at least I died doing something I loved. I don't care if the person knows how to drive. It wouldd make them easier to beat if they didn't know how to drive. I dont' race everyone who revs on me, it's purely how I feel at that point. I race when I want to race. Think about you living the rest of your life in fear of living. More people fear achieving their goals than they do failing. You have already failed yourself but not taking any risks. Risk is an all or nothing deal. You either go full force or it will kill you. I'm ready to risk it, and I have no problems if I fail while I do put myself on the line because I know that at least I lived my life how I wanted.

Old 01-24-2003
Registered!!

iluvbritney is an unknown quantity at this point
streets thats the way to go
Old 01-24-2003
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

[hr]Originally posted by: iluvbritney
streets thats the way to go[hr]
hahahaha... short but sweet...
Old 01-24-2003

[hr]Originally posted by: iamboo
[hr]Originally posted by: iluvbritney
streets thats the way to go[hr]
hahahaha... short but sweet...[hr]
Can't argue there. [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-24-2003
Registered!!

You guys race freakin CIVICS! At least if you had sports cars, I could put up with some of this nonsense.
Old 01-24-2003

[hr]Originally posted by: rgGolf4
You guys race freakin CIVICS! At least if you had sports cars, I could put up with some of this nonsense.[hr]
Ummmm......my old car was a 1997 5.7L V8 Trans Am........is that enough of a sports car for you?

I decided to start a new project and I got this car because I wanted it. There is nothing wrong with racing a civic. The same goal is still accomplished. It's just like saying I don't see why people race NASCAR when they could race fricken F1. Either way racing is racing no matter what car you drive.

Old 01-26-2003
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Studies have shown that every driver makes and error in driving or an illegal move "once" EVERY 2 city blocks.

That is the lamest argument for street racing there is. Even "I like street racing!" is better because it makes the point of giving someone pleasure. The studies that show every breaks the law every two blocks mean nothing. The reason being; the difference in offences. The likelihood of someone getting in an accident as a direct result of going 26 in a 25 is much less than someone getting in an accident directly from street racing. However, both would be taken into account in the study of how often people break the law while driving. And for the rest of your argument, if you can't see the difference in the level of danger between all those things, then I guess this was a waste of time.