Honda Civic Racing: Drift/Drag/AutoX/Time Attack There are different setups needed if you are using your civic for drifting, drag or track racing

BS Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Just to poke the bear with a stick but..... It still is just a mustang.

I've never really been a mustang fan, and from working on them (Body work, R&I not engine) I can say that I probably never will be. seen to many problems ect.... But you can say that I have just a little civic, and I'd agree its not the best performing car. I think if i could do it all over again I'd be driving a Miata. Now that would be fun.
Old 02-04-2004
Registered!!

Miss_Hatchy is an unknown quantity at this point
Z you are such a damn poker

Many people say "It's still just a Civic" as well, and I suppose the comment can be used for ANY car under a certain price range...this would vary from person to person.
Old 02-04-2004
Registered!!

greynotch is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Zzyzx
Just to poke the bear with a stick but..... It still is just a mustang.

I've never really been a mustang fan, and from working on them (Body work, R&I not engine) I can say that I probably never will be. seen to many problems ect.... But you can say that I have just a little civic, and I'd agree its not the best performing car. I think if i could do it all over again I'd be driving a Miata. Now that would be fun.
I've been a Mustang fan for years, but as the time grows closer for me to buy another fun car......I'm looking AWAY from Ford and more toward Nissan/Infinity (350Z/G35).

All I could talk about was a new 2004 Cobra for months, but lately I've been thinking maybe the money would be more well spent on the Z or G35.... At least I know it will be worth something in 5 years, and I won't break the bank paying for repairs.
Old 02-06-2004
The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits. As seen on TV by QBoi.

Kadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the rough
go with a g35....with a greddy tt kit....youll be hittin 500 hp's in no time

*EDIT* deleted

Last edited by Kadenx; 02-06-2004 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

^^^ We'd get a G35 to have a svelte, reasonably fast luxury car that we can enjoy, NOT so we can mess with it and make its resale value CRAP to the majority of the public lease:

It's fun to modify cars, but come on...
Old 02-06-2004

Kadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the rough
And who is we?? I thought I was entitled to my own opinion. Maybe I was mistaken. "We" maybe your split personalities but what I want to do to my car is my business, is it not? Plus, is a G35 not just an American skyline?? And is a twin turbo uncommon for skylines?
Resale value is only considered if you plan to SELL the car.

Thanks for the input tho.

*EDIT* From someone who owned a mustang, you probably know quite a bit about depreciation. By the way, what is "svelte"?

Last edited by Kadenx; 02-06-2004 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-06-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Dont matter much, the 350Z is a better platform to mod, its lighter and already has more HP....

G35 Coupe 280Hp @6,200 RPM 270LB-Ft @ 4800RPM
Lightest G35 Coupe... 3,435 lbs
350Z 287 HP @ 6,200RPM 274LB-FT @ 4,800
Lightest 350Z... 3,188 LBS
Old 02-06-2004

i think i can deal with a 7 hp loss considering I have a son and will need a backseat. I remember that c&d said the g35 was a better z than the z....
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by Zzyzx
Dont matter much, the 350Z is a better platform to mod, its lighter and already has more HP....

G35 Coupe 280Hp @6,200 RPM 270LB-Ft @ 4800RPM
Lightest G35 Coupe... 3,435 lbs
350Z 287 HP @ 6,200RPM 274LB-FT @ 4,800
Lightest 350Z... 3,188 LBS
Thanks Z, you saved me some writing by making my point for me

The G35 is a lovely, luxurious vehicle loaded with options & amenities, not to mention heavy leather seats. If someone who knew what they were doing wanted to throw a bunch of go-fast goodies on this particular platform, they would start with the 350Z. For the reasons stated above, as well as price: for the future modifier the lowest Z trim line begins at $26,400, while the 6MT G35 base starts at $33,000. You do the math. If it seems like I responded to your post rather hastily is because I'm just growing weary of seeing people say "slap a turbo/sc/n20" on EVERY car in this world.

Why on earth would I refer to YOU as "we"? I don't even ****ing KNOW you. I was referring to greynotch, who is my fiance. It's not your responsibility to know that of course, but I wasn't aware that I had to clarify that it clearly was not YOU, someone I've never even spoken to before LOL @ split personalities, that was really clever!

Oh btw, sorry to negate the effect of your intended jibe , but I'll be the first to say that Mustang depreciation is much worse than many fine Japanese cars. HOWEVER, for being an American car, they hold their value amazingly well, and this is an undeniable fact. And for those who pay for our cars and care about them being worth something someday, resale value IS a valid concern. I am surprised this is even an issue. The future sale can be indefinitely in the future, but should still be considered. I can't tell you how many good cars I see with crap resale values due to modification choice.

So of course it is your choice to like/modify/hump any car you want, but someone who wanted to spend nearly $30K on a car and was still not satisified with it would NOT start with the G35 for pure performance purposes. Personally I do prefer the G35 myself, but because it's a glorious car, not because I would have the intention of "slapping" FI on it.

Last edited by Miss_Hatchy; 02-06-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-06-2004
AZZ BANNED-IT! SUUN!

asvyper is an unknown quantity at this point
haha nice...at least you beat his ***!
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by xavier
*EDIT* From someone who owned a mustang, you probably know quite a bit about depreciation. By the way, what is "svelte"?
svelte ( P )
adj. svelt·er, svelt·est
Slender or graceful in figure or outline; slim.

^^^ I'm still chuckling at the cute jibe that was edited in not one, but TWO of your above posts imp: Thanks for the laughs...

For someone who vehemently wants to have their own opinion respected, you certainly react strangely to the opinions of others Enough to even go back to edit and insert witty comments! Odd. Anyways, have a good day!
Old 02-06-2004

*EDIT* deleted

Last edited by Kadenx; 02-06-2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2004

a few more posts and Ill be able to get a custom avatar...yah
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by xavier
^^ Oh my *** is beat...Nice job MissHatchy. If you read previous post, I NEED A BACKSEAT, but why is it necassary to explain myself to you. Last time I checked the z does not have a backseat. I think its kinda funny how you grow "weary" about other peoples actions. Why would you even give someone power to make you "weary"? If it does float you boat...be ok with that. I respect your opinion, but I would appreciate you respecting mine. And as for the childish asvyper...yeah you just witnessed the biggest *** beating of 2004! The funny thing is, I hadly noticed my *** was beat.

*EDIT* I do recall it was you that chimed in your opinion when it was not called of.
thank you for the definition of svelte....never heard of it before

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! Er...I'll be the first to tell you that asvyper was referring to the ORIGINAL subject of the thread, which was about a race... Is everything about you? j/k <--- (just to make sure you don't take this the wrong way as well!) So easily excitable!

I have respected your opinion, I just responded to it whether uncalled for or not. You people really need to relax, sheesh! Either agree, or don't agree, I'm just making conversation anyways As for being weary, if you possess the superpowers necessary to not notice other people, then I am envious! I don't make decisions based on what others do, hence buying mostly boring, NON CUSTOM Honda OEM parts, but I do notice comments that are repeated constantly.

Last edited by Miss_Hatchy; 02-06-2004 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-06-2004

Ok MissHacthy, point taken. I appreciate your opinion and respect it. As for asvyper, statement retracted. I apologize for that. I am very relaxed since I dont have to work or go to school today....wife accidentally took my keys.
I actually do have the power to not notice others when I don't want to. That power is not supernatural tho. I learned it in NA and CA.
Thats Narcotics Anon and Cocaine Anon...
since thats settled, can we still be friends...
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

Of course! I love good (and even heated) discussions and I never take it personally. I wouldn't want everyone to agree with me anyways, because what would I have to complain about?!

Well you are lucky, I have to go to class now myself, blarrrrrg
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

WhiteCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by greynotch
That was sorta her point. You have a '98 SN95 GT with the 4.6 WITH 4.10 gears and you run a 14.43? The week after we bought the '88 Notchback I ran it at Atco and she ran a 14.62 with stock everything. I'm talkin 2.73 gears, stock airbox, stock exhaust, with cats.... Now, the 5.0 tends to be more torqy, the notch weighs a few hundred lbs less, and it was 5-spd, but the theory holds true..... that the 4.6's were very weak.
You ran a 14.62@ Atco with one of the lightest Mustangs ever made and a 5-speed? I am not sure what the DA was on my run..but corrected to Atco DA it would be faster than 14.43. Lets say you put the same mods on your V6 and we'll run them at identical DA's. The V6 is NOT going to win.The 96-98 was a weak year for the GT's I will agree. But to say as a rule that a 99+ V6 is going to beat them is not correct. Don't get me wrong, I am agreeing about the 96-98's being weak ( hell the 94 and 95 too) But I am in no way threatened by an equally modded V6. BTW if you ever want to build a V6 for boost I have a 3.8 out of a Thunderbird SC for sale
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

Well with times that are so close (between the 4.6 2v and the V6) there is NEVER a rule, it just happens often when the GT is automatic. BTW, 94/95 pushrod GTs are not really weak at all for being such a heavy car laden with options and body cladding...The mechanic that installed my gears (NMRA driver) ran a 14.1 with nothing but 4.10s (air silencer, cats etc). Obviously some are Tuesday motors and others are more like Saturday night LOL but they are pretty respectable for being such elephants. I think the average for a SN95 5.0 GT with 5 spd is mid 14s for a decent driver...best I could crank outta her myself that night was a 14.3/14.4.
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

WhiteCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
94/95 were pretty weak. They were rated at 215 at the flywheel. My car (98) is rated at 225 at the flywheel. Some of the 96-98 s*it that the Mustangs get is from pushrod lovers too. Not wanting to see their beloved 5.0 go. I owned 3, 5.0's also. Loved them, but the SN-95 platform is a much better handling not to mention general comfort car. But with comfort comes the weight. I installed my own 4:10's and am a FFW driver, does that get me anything?
Old 02-07-2004
Registered!!

Blainestang has a spectacular aura aboutBlainestang has a spectacular aura aboutBlainestang has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by WhiteCivic
You ran a 14.62@ Atco with one of the lightest Mustangs ever made and a 5-speed? I am not sure what the DA was on my run..but corrected to Atco DA it would be faster than 14.43. Lets say you put the same mods on your V6 and we'll run them at identical DA's. The V6 is NOT going to win.The 96-98 was a weak year for the GT's I will agree. But to say as a rule that a 99+ V6 is going to beat them is not correct. Don't get me wrong, I am agreeing about the 96-98's being weak ( hell the 94 and 95 too) But I am in no way threatened by an equally modded V6. BTW if you ever want to build a V6 for boost I have a 3.8 out of a Thunderbird SC for sale
Oh, I wouldn't say the V6 would definately win either, I'm just saying that they are close to auto 96-98's and that it would be pretty much a driver's race, hence, in the same league.
Old 02-07-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by WhiteCivic
94/95 were pretty weak. They were rated at 215 at the flywheel. My car (98) is rated at 225 at the flywheel. Some of the 96-98 s*it that the Mustangs get is from pushrod lovers too. Not wanting to see their beloved 5.0 go. I owned 3, 5.0's also. Loved them, but the SN-95 platform is a much better handling not to mention general comfort car. But with comfort comes the weight. I installed my own 4:10's and am a FFW driver, does that get me anything?
Hey I love the SN95s, wouldn't drive anything but (well, except a fox body ASCMcLaren vert, those are pretty sweet!) Oh, and maybe the 2005, what a beaut!

I really miss my 94, and next Mustang I buy will be an SN95 vert...maybe even 96-98 (either Cobra or GT then 99+ headswap mmmm high compression)
Old 02-07-2004
Registered!!

Blainestang has a spectacular aura aboutBlainestang has a spectacular aura aboutBlainestang has a spectacular aura about
True, it is hard to beat the look of an SN95 Cobra.

'95 Cobra R
Old 02-07-2004
Registered!!

HeartSoul is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Blainestang
True, it is hard to beat the look of an SN95 Cobra.

'95 Cobra R
00 R
Old 02-07-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by HeartSoul
00 R
I'll agree with that

I mentioned the '95 however because it is an SN95 body. Oh, and it has a 351 in it
Old 02-07-2004
Registered!!

Yeah I wasn't really too hot over the looks (especially the wing) of the 00 R. Truthfully I'd rather have a Roush any day of the week!
Old 04-26-2004
Registered!!

phatcyclist is an unknown quantity at this point
wow, im chiming in a bit late here, but when I was stock, and my friend had his 99 V6 mustang auto with K&N dropin (I have an 03 EX coupe auto) he barely pulled on me at all, and that was from a stop to almost 75 mph.

Then when I got my Short ram and custom rear section, I started leading after 30, and he was at least a car length behind me at 60.
Old 04-26-2004
Banned by Admin

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
what the hell is up with the new generation of people on the board, do they not realize that they sound like dumb asses?
Old 04-26-2004
Registered!!

nivenmk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
A co-worker of mine has an 02 mustang V6. Depending on how good he launches, I either beat him or he beats me and my launches are consistantly crappy, the one time I did get a good launch on him, I ended up 5 car lengths ahead by 60mph. In corners, I can ===LEAVE=== him in the dust, and I'm running on OEM rubber and stock suspension.

Domestics are made to be somewhat fun to drive and quick in a straight line. "foreigns" are made to be ridiculously fun to drive and corner like banshees. It's really arguing apples 'n oranges. Drag a mod Vic into it and any stock mustang gets roasted all-around. Mod a stang and you can roast just about anything in a straight line but still not be able to keep up with a vic through the curvies. Mod the suspensions of both cars and the Vic will still whip the crap out of the stang in twisties; vice versa on the straights.

Arguing civic/foreign vs. domestic/mustang is really like arguing apples and oranges.
Old 04-27-2004
I do a body good

IMURMILK is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by nivenmk1
A co-worker of mine has an 02 mustang V6. Depending on how good he launches, I either beat him or he beats me and my launches are consistantly crappy, the one time I did get a good launch on him, I ended up 5 car lengths ahead by 60mph. In corners, I can ===LEAVE=== him in the dust, and I'm running on OEM rubber and stock suspension.

Domestics are made to be somewhat fun to drive and quick in a straight line. "foreigns" are made to be ridiculously fun to drive and corner like banshees. It's really arguing apples 'n oranges. Drag a mod Vic into it and any stock mustang gets roasted all-around. Mod a stang and you can roast just about anything in a straight line but still not be able to keep up with a vic through the curvies. Mod the suspensions of both cars and the Vic will still whip the crap out of the stang in twisties; vice versa on the straights.

Arguing civic/foreign vs. domestic/mustang is really like arguing apples and oranges.

and everything you just said makes you look like an idiot
Old 04-27-2004
Registered!!

nivenmk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
and everything you just said makes you look like an idiot
You could forego badging yourself with the same title by simply offering some explaination instead of name calling. If your birthdate is correct in your profile, you should have graduated 3rd grade quite a while ago. Even though it's apparently a new concept, coming up with a few points to debate and throw back and forth would do quite well towards absolving you of appearing to be ignorant.

Even better, try and follow me in your yacht through something exciting like the Dragon, 318 curves in 11 miles, located outside of Knoxville, TN. See if you can even manage to keep me in sight through the foothills. Your Camaro isn't designed to handle, it's designed to go very fast in a straight line; you probably don't need this proven to you; You have a muscle car.

Arguing muscle cars vs. imports is a losing battle on both sides of the fence. Muscle = Speed, Import = Handling. If you can't see this, I suggest you broaden your horizons. Apples vs. Oranges.

Quick Reply: BS Mustang