Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

00' Civic Ex coupe NewGuy

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
revitup is an unknown quantity at this point
00' Civic Ex coupe NewGuy

it runs great. It's all stock . But i wanna make changes starting now .

Any Suggestions fellas ? I want to start with my engine . am thinking about replacing it to sohc/dohc/vtech . ? thanks ! i don't wanna b cheap but i really want to spend less .
Old 03-29-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 00' Civic Ex coupe NewGuy

Welcome!

For starters, assuming the car is "as-is" -ish from the factory, you already have a SOHC 1.6L VTEC engine, if that's one thing you wanted to add. It should be a D16Y8 engine, to be exact. Also, what kind of goals do you have for your car? What do you want to do? The more you know/research up front, the less you pay in the long run. That way, we can help guide you in the best direction
Old 03-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
bryan.0831 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want to start with the engine, then....
If you don't wanna "B" cheap, go ahead if you're "K" with it.

Lol! It's silly but I just had to do it.
Old 03-29-2013
Registered!!

That's the thing coz i think my engine doesn't have enough power anymore , got 190k miles on it .

my plans on this car , is to be a good running car that can chase 2.0T's , and make it look good inside and out . And just wanted to start with my engine . thanks
Old 03-29-2013
Registered!!

lol ! that's a good one bryan .
Old 03-29-2013
Registered!!

jimmycivic is an unknown quantity at this point

thats alot of miles on a car and being an aluminum motor the simple days of slapping bolt ons is in the far future my best advise is either rip the motor out rebuild it or swap it and im from ct anything with over 160k on a car has some serious rust unless it was garaged or not driving in slush so the first thing i tackle on a project is undercarriage and suspension and brakes good luck
Old 03-29-2013
Registered!!

good to know jimmy , undercarriage is in great condition , im not sure bout the suspension and brakes , i did changed the break pads a while ago .

Got more question for you guys , im having this wobble everytime i'm bout to slow down or to get stop . i'm not what it is . thanks
Old 03-30-2013
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

did you get the rotors resurfaced when you did the brake pads? If so, did you do a bed-in procedure? My first thought was warped rotors.

as for your car.. if you wanna chase 2.0T, you've got your work cut out for you. You're prolly gonna have to ditch the D16, unless you go with a massive boost build

with a civic, suspension mods will get you the best bang for your buck
Old 03-30-2013
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by jimmycivic
thats alot of miles on a car and being an aluminum motor the simple days of slapping bolt ons is in the far future my best advise is either rip the motor out rebuild it or swap it and im from ct anything with over 160k on a car has some serious rust unless it was garaged or not driving in slush so the first thing i tackle on a project is undercarriage and suspension and brakes good luck
I'm sorry, but I'm about to sound like a complete *** right about now, but your post gave my brain cancer. A little bit of punctuation will do you a lot of good.

I'll get off my soapbox now...
Old 03-30-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
did you get the rotors resurfaced when you did the brake pads? If so, did you do a bed-in procedure? My first thought was warped rotors.

as for your car.. if you wanna chase 2.0T, you've got your work cut out for you. You're prolly gonna have to ditch the D16, unless you go with a massive boost build

with a civic, suspension mods will get you the best bang for your buck
resurfaced might b the one i need , coz i did the bed-in after i replace the brakes . thanks , just asking , how much it will cost me to get it resurfaced anyway ? coz i don't wanna get rip-off .

one more thing , ditch the d16 ? that's what i'm thinking , i wanna get it replace for a dohc vtech head engine .
Old 03-30-2013
Registered!!

dont bother resurfacing. brand new is 30 to 40 bucks a piece for the 6th gens do it right and when you take the the old pads and rotors off compare both sides for uneven wear to make sure you dont have a seized caliper and a wobble can be a badly balanced rim or a bad tire
Old 03-31-2013
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by revitup
resurfaced might b the one i need , coz i did the bed-in after i replace the brakes . thanks , just asking , how much it will cost me to get it resurfaced anyway ? coz i don't wanna get rip-off .

one more thing , ditch the d16 ? that's what i'm thinking , i wanna get it replace for a dohc vtech head engine .
Pep boys down the street from my house resurfaces rotors for $15/rotor if you take 'em off and bring 'em in. Otherwise it's $120/axle or something
Old 03-31-2013
Registered!!

Okay good to know guys , much appreciated .

Now let's go back to engine , okay i got 1.6 Sohc now , i can't tell if its powered by vtech or not . What upgrades or tune-ups should i make so i can get the engine power back .
Old 03-31-2013
Registered!!

lol start with an oil change first then cap,rotor,and wires and some good plugs and this is a pic of a vtech solenoid and ex models are the only ones that came with vtech 157063_466998500034722_319616167_n.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	157063_466998500034722_319616167_n.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	84932  
Old 04-01-2013
Registered!!

rustycivic is on a distinguished road

Before you add power to the car, make sure the car can handle the power.

Personally, I'd do suspension before I'd touch the engine. Coilovers, sway bars, strut bars, and polyurethane bushings, and more aggressive brake pads/rotors will totally revamp the feel of the car. Combine that with some wider wheels and grippy tires, and the Civic will be pretty fun to drive.

Then, when you add power, the car will be able to handle it safely.