Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

painted me drums! pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
painted me drums! pics inside

yay finally finished the last of my summer mods on the list. was a nice day so i stripped down and painted the nasty rust-covered drums with duplicolor black caliper paint. came out really nice. theyre still shiny, but im sure after a few days it will fade to a nice flat black like the fronts i painted the lil piece of camber kit too that was visible on top. makes the car look alot newer now that there is no visible rust anywhere. and a few pics of my new stickerzzz

Old 05-29-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold
Re: painted me drums! pics inside

Looks very nice. I was hoping it was black when I saw the title.
Old 05-29-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

haha you were secretly hoping i did red lol
Old 05-29-2008
Registered!!

mrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of light

haha thank god you did black, i was scared i was going to see yellow or red... came out great
Old 05-29-2008
Registered!!

Ravensteel is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome!
I just bought the exact same kit in black a couple of days ago...doing mine this weekend.

Did you paint your calipers too? Did you remove them?
Old 05-29-2008
Registered!!

buckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the roughbuckshizzo is a jewel in the rough

looks good.
Old 05-29-2008
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light

looks good

ill be doing the same to mine soon...just need to find the time
Old 05-29-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slowwhitecivic will become famous soon enough

you guys gotta hella lot of time in ur hands lol...j/k now its nice and black to go wit ur rims...i didnt care to do this cuz u can hardly even see it with the si rims
Old 05-29-2008
Registered!!

WgnrNick will become famous soon enoughWgnrNick will become famous soon enough

Looks good and very clean! I'm going to be doing that this summer too sometime.

Wagner
Old 05-30-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, I like that. It really does look newer. I'll have to do this soon.
Old 05-30-2008
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

looks much better.
Old 05-30-2008
Premium Member

i did not do the calipers cause they were not rusted at all.
Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that the brush on kind or the spray can? What were the steps you used to prep the drums? (Alcohol, tac rag? etc.)
Old 05-30-2008
Premium Member

for the rotors, i just used an art brush and the liquid paint.

prepping is easy, esp for the rears which you dont have to worry about trying to protect caliper and rotor from overspray and stuff. i used the spray paint for the rears since a brush wouldve looked way messy with such a big part to paint.

1. jack up car with jankstand and take off wheel. for autos, having the car in park will keep it from rolling and you can still turn the rear wheels. for manuals, you better put some wood or something in the front so it doesnt roll. you cant put the ebrake up cause you need to turn the drum to paint it. make sure car is on flat surface!! loosen lug nuts before jacking up car.

2. apply "rust dissolver" gel and let sit for several minutes. may need to do this a few times til most of the rust is gone. this stuff is pink and goes under many names, but its basically phosphoric acid that bubbles and eats off the rust. apply lots at a time!

3. using a clean cloth, wipe off the excess gel as best you can.

4. spray drums with brake parts cleaner (or caliper cleaner that comes in the kit, same thing). spray it down good a few times. then let it air dry and it should be completely dry in a minute or less. drum may turn white color but its fine since youre painting it anyway.

5. once dry, let the drum warm up a bit since its prolly very cool from the brake cleaner evaporating off it.

6. shake up the paint and start spraying starting at the top edge and slowly rotating the drum around in circles to get even coverage. put on at least 2 coats until it starts to look shiny. you want the last coat to be wet but not dripping.

7. wait at least 30 mins before putting the wheel back on and at least an hour before driving the car. paint takes 7 days to fully cure but in a couple hours it should be able to withstand normal driving trips without melting.

lower the car back down. it may take a day or two for the springs to settle back again, so dont get scared if the car looks like a 4x4 when youre done lol. retorque lug nuts after 50-100 miles of driving.

Last edited by gearbox; 05-30-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-30-2008
Premium Member

icedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really nice

nice work gear!

and for my off topic addition to this thread, my 400th post in 4 years
Old 05-30-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

***** sweet!
Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point

Where did you get the kit?
Old 05-30-2008
Premium Member

advance auto parts for the cleaner/liquid paint/brush (caliper painting kit) and the spray can paint is sold separately. so is the rust dissolver gel in the sandpaper section.
Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

everything about your car is really clean. the rear drums look good and i like your car a lot overall - you got my vote for rotm
Old 06-01-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

It looks good, but wouldnt it be easier to have taken the drums off?
Old 06-01-2008
Registered!!

mpfive is an unknown quantity at this point

looks very clean, definitely what i'm doing next
Old 06-01-2008
Premium Member

i thought it was easier to leave the drum on? less work and you can spin it around while painting.