Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Started A Trunk Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Cool Started A Trunk Project

For the past year or two I've had wires running everywhere in my car/trunk due to 2 amplifiers and a computer so last night I finally decided to do something about it. I wanted to hide them under the floor somehow but after taking some measurements I realized I wouldn't be able to do that. So instead, I worked on the following and you'll get a better understanding of my idea when I finish it tonight.

This is the area I have to work with.

This is where I was going to put everything but quickly realized the space is too small. I could put just the computer here but what's the point?

So I took out the carpet and laid it over 2 separate pieces of cheap half inch particle board that I picked up from the discard pile at Home Depot for $1.01 each.

I made sure I had the civicforums.com D.I.Y. loaded to have a reference point and also Winamp for some music!

Got everything cut out and test fitted......yay!

Still have to do the sides though.

open

I'm going to screw both amplifiers and the computer to the top of this new floor. Then where you see the circle on each corner of this side of the board, I'm going to put 4 4 inch thick dowels to support a canopy over the electronics so I can still lay anything I want in the trunk without fear of messing up anything. Then on top of the canopy will be a handle for lifting the board which will be hinged with the one behind it so I can get at the spare tire.

Old 05-30-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Started A Trunk Project

nice post updates
Old 05-30-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

I will tonight when I finish.

Also I should mention I'm doing all this in my parking garage with nothing but a handsaw and my subwoofer box as a horse!

I also want to drill some holes in the floor and mount small LED underneath so they shine up through. Nothing too elaborate, maybe a tube to shine down from the top as well.
Old 05-30-2008
Premium Member

icedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really nice

nice project. good luck finishing it up. and holy geezus, be careful in that little work shop of yours...lol...
Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute

looks good so far. definitely in for finished results and gl.
Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

03BlueCivic will become famous soon enough03BlueCivic will become famous soon enough

should look good. soemthing a little different!
Old 05-30-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

4 four-inch thick dowels? That doesnt sound too stable. I dont know exactly how your setting it up, but maybe you could grab a 2x4 and take your handsaw to it and add in a few more supports- sounds more stable. Just an idea.
Old 05-30-2008
Premium Member

drunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of lightdrunkenmagnum is a glorious beacon of light

GL looks like a rats nest b4 u started
Old 05-30-2008
You Stay Classy, San Diego

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

ya it loooks like its got potential good luck. Im workin on my new trunk project. Fiberglass
Old 05-30-2008
Jza
Registered!!

Jza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the rough

neat, in for finished product
Old 05-30-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

ditto, i gotta see this one out
Old 05-30-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

I couldn't finish it tonight, got way too tired and sweaty. But here's what I got done.....these pictures are actually taken with a camera, not my Blackberry like the others!

I took all the carpet and paneling out and found a new ground point! Yay! I hope that's what it is and doesn't turn my car into an ominous ball of flames.....

Ya, it does look like a rat's nest. It's just so many damn wires coming out of the computer....VGA, 2 USB, power, switched in, 2 switched out, ground, power to screen.

TRIZ, I was wondering if that would confuse anyone. What I meant is that I have 4 dowels that are 4 inches long and are thick. So I guess I have 4 4 inch, thick dowels. Forgot the comma.

Everything in its mounting place. Not screwed in yet.

With the top on so I'll be able to get suitcases and **** in there without having to worry. The last piece is a vertical board mounted to the side of the trunk that an amplifier used to be bolted to.

And a view from inside with the back seats down. Hope to finish it up tomorrow.

Old 05-30-2008
I haven't been here in a long time

mkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the roughmkymonkey is a jewel in the rough

what kind of computer is that?
Old 05-30-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

motherboard - VIA Epia M10000 Mini-ITX
case - Ampie
Power Supply - M1-ATX
Old 05-30-2008
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

cool project & progress so far. Never seen that before.
Old 05-30-2008
Jza
Registered!!

Jza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the rough

most of the cars chassis is suitable ground, check your **** out with a multimeter to be sure.
Old 05-30-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I agree. There may be a certain amount of pride associated with doing everything with the bare minimum, but you need to be sure and do a safe quality job.
Old 05-31-2008
Registered!!

WgnrNick will become famous soon enoughWgnrNick will become famous soon enough

Sweet stuff! Looks great! I'm going to be doing my trunk setup after I get back from vacation. Keep us in the loop!

Wagner
Old 05-31-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

I'm running into more problems by the minute....wires aren't long enough, bolts are stripped, wrong hardware, wrong measurements. Damn. Here's what I just got done, got hungry and took a break. I'll do more tonight I guess.

Old 05-31-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

just dont quit!!!! want to see more!
Old 05-31-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Had to go to Home Depot to pick up some more supplies. Saw this coming out.

Back to work.

Putting the handle on.

Inside view. All done but still have to put the carpet back on. Too tired right now.

Take a step back and admire.

It doesn't look like it but I've got it open part ways here. I can't open it all the way because the ground wire for the computer is way too short. I need to find stranded 10 gauge wire somewhere and lengthen it. I think Home Depot's idea of stranded is something you can't bend with your hands.

Representing New York.

The tools I used. Would you believe I got this for $80 2 years ago? Great deal.

Last edited by DeX; 05-31-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-31-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Oh ya, a few points.
1 - I still have to carpet it, I'll do that later this year.
2 - All that and I still can't reach my spare tire, the hinged part doesn't go back far enough. I mean when I have it open, the hinge should be farther back so I can get at the tire. Stupid.
3 - I didn't measure properly so I ended up with a pile of wood pieces instead of the minimal amount. I had to use metal L brackets to hold them back together again.
4 - Somehow I didn't buy enough hinges so I'm missing one ont he left side.

This could have been done so much better, I'm glad I got wood from the bargain bin and didn't buy that $20 sheet of plywood.
Old 05-31-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Representing new york, and teh *****. nice..... I think you're done it'll look sweet.
Old 05-31-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Did I read you plan on fitting suitcases in there?
Old 06-01-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Did I read you plan on fitting suitcases in there?
Ya, now I'll get 2 in there instead of just 1.
Old 06-01-2008
Registered!!

WgnrNick will become famous soon enoughWgnrNick will become famous soon enough

Looks good but it definitely needs carpet. Get all the hardware, wiring, and carpet done and it should look pretty sick.

Wagner