Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Exterior build thread-Eyger (Vote for which color I should paint my car! (and rims))

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Exterior build thread by Eyger (color swatch-pg. 2 Roof done! pg. 4)

what kinda gun are u gonna be using?

and what kinda compress do u ahve?

(given that you're gonna do it at home?)
Old 10-25-2007

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

wiat....i jsut re read everything, ARE you painting it urself?
Old 10-25-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

^My original plans were to paint it myself, but like I posted before, I have no where to paint it. I'm not going to do it in my garage, it doesn't work that way. I was planning on buying a Sharpe gun and shooting it all from sealing to clear. But that plan is scratched because I can't find a place and I'm broke as hell. So whatever it's all good. I don't mind getting a couple bucks together to have it done. I have to keep pushing this stuff back because I have so much garbage to pay for....but that's not what this thread is about, I'm not going to complain about life...I'll just wait for the right opportunity to get things done. I have a feeling I'm going to get it all primed up and then end up waiting a while because I want to get all the parts first and then paint it and put it together.
Old 10-31-2007
Registered!!

CIVIC X3 is on a distinguished road

hey eyger where are you from? i know nor cal but what city.
Old 10-31-2007
Registered!!

chawski will become famous soon enoughchawski will become famous soon enough

i dont know if you have looked yet, but a lot of body shops will rent out their booth to people when they are not using it. if you know what you are doing, you have save a good chunk of change that way. definately dont do it in your garage. youve put in too much work to have dust particles in your paint.
Old 11-22-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CIVIC X3
hey eyger where are you from? i know nor cal but what city.
I just moved to Eureka in Humboldt county a couple of months ago. It's really nice up here. Are you in Nor-Cal too?
Old 11-22-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Originally Posted by chawski
i dont know if you have looked yet, but a lot of body shops will rent out their booth to people when they are not using it. if you know what you are doing, you have save a good chunk of change that way. definately dont do it in your garage. youve put in too much work to have dust particles in your paint.
Hm, thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking for paint booths, but I've never asked around for renting a shops booth. I might just start looking into it. Although I'm kinda leaning towards just having a shop do it. I wouldn't mind paying some money to have it be perfect.
Old 11-22-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Ok here's another update:

To make a long story short, no one could get me into a booth for primer, even when I was ready to pay them to do it for me. So I had this guy from this performance shop down the street do it for me, and well, they're a mechanical shop not a body shop. So the point is, that it sucked, I wasted money, I moved on. The good news is that I got most the car primer-ed and so now the bare metal is protected. Check out this one new pic. I'll take more another time. The roof turned out really well which is tight because I was expecting it to look strange.

No front bumper yet. it's really messed up and I need more money and what have you etc.

Interesting change of plans:
I wanted to do white, buuuuuut the more I think about it, and yes I think about it night and day...heh, I just don't think that white is the kinda car I would drive. It's not white white, but white with gold, yes but For some reason I'm more interested with having a darker colored car.

Kustom Shop just came out with several new lines of paints, which are friggin just as good as like House of Kolor and what not. I think I want to get a Black Cherry Kandy basecoat. And then a set of Gold Volk GT7's (Which uncle sam will hopefully pay for when I get a tax refund next year.) Here's a photoshopped picture of a sweet NSX with the color scheme I'm thinking about:

Pretty sweet.....

There's no color chip for the Black cherry yet, on the Kustom shop website. But I did speak with them over the phone about what it looks like. So hopefully it'll be sweet.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	primercivic.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	73162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nsxchop.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	73163  
Old 11-22-2007
Registered!!

HonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond reputeHonCiv02 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exterior build thread by Eyger (90% primer-ed, thinking about another color...)

that is a nice color combo. i think it would look really good.
Old 11-22-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Exterior build thread by Eyger (90% primer-ed, thinking about another color...)

Wow, that sucks about the shop man. You really have to try hard to **** up a primer job on a car. That is a really nice color though. What's wrong with the bumper? Got a pic?
Old 11-22-2007
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light

that color is sweet. Those volk rims look sick man cant wait to see it done keep us posted
Old 11-22-2007
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Exterior build thread by Eyger (color swatch pics added! pg. 2)

Originally Posted by Eyger
Update; continued from yesterday:

I kept working on the roof, it's looking/feeling really nice now. more pics:
(All i have to do is Sand the final glaze and then prime it for now....)

Ya think? Ha ha. It's all good.

That's it for now, I hungry as a bear and need to relax, tough day at work and lots of work in the garage. This weekend will be nice though, I'll have time to work on it. And even monday is cool too because I'll be home all day.

did you use bondo or something in the picture be cause it looks really glossy. Looks good by the way just asking becasue i used it when i shaved my front license plate off my car.
Old 11-22-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Originally Posted by speedfoos
Wow, that sucks about the shop man. You really have to try hard to **** up a primer job on a car. That is a really nice color though. What's wrong with the bumper? Got a pic?
Heh, tell me about it, there's drips and stuff all over the place, when I imagine what it looked like when he was doing it, I get this picture in my head of the guy just standing around with the spray gun in his right hand, and a sandwich in the other, just spraying around like he's trying to kill a bee with raid. he was a friggin knewb.....

The front bumper originally was cut in half horizontally, and fiberglassed to the stock bumper which was also cut in half. The execution was very poor considerably, not to mention that the fiberglass resin was just general purpose and I found out that there is a resin out there which is formulated to stick nice and solid to plastic. So I've re-designed my plan to make for a way better front bumper. I'm going to purchase an 03 civic aftermarket bumper of any kind, cheap most likely. And I'm just going to slice in in half horizontally. Then take the ING's RSX bumper and fiberglass the backsides together. After that dries, I'll Everglass the front side, then Evercoat, then glaze, sanding inbetween. After all that is done I'm 100% sure I'll have a rock solid bumper that will last me for a long long time. I'd hate to paint my whole car and have everything be perfect, then have one small crack or something because of shoddy front bumper work.
I'm pretty excited to get all this stuff done. I just need either another job, or a new job that pays more. Because all this is pretty much at a standstill cuz im broke yo. I'm looking forward to my tax return though. It'll be tight.
Old 11-22-2007
You Stay Classy, San Diego

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

love the color combo. Volk gt7s look amazing on just about any car. Even a late 60's mustang with an rb26 swap (lol Tokyo drift). I definantly like that black cherry better. White is nice n clean but Ive always loved red. I personally wanna paint my car the color of supermex's car. That orange is freakin amazing. But its not really in the superclean and jdm category.
Old 11-22-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Originally Posted by Civicman1988
did you use bondo or something in the picture be cause it looks really glossy. Looks good by the way just asking becasue i used it when i shaved my front license plate off my car.

I used Marhyde finishing glaze. The picture I posted, is when the glaze was still wet, when it dried, it looked much less glossy. It's cool though, sanding glaze is my favorite part, because it's so smooth. I read your Diy back when your first posted it, about the front shave, I liked it. I think it's a great mod, simple, but makes a hell of a difference. The only difference between me and you is that you had air power! I had good ol human muscle power!
Old 11-22-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Originally Posted by jamis33
love the color combo. Volk gt7s look amazing on just about any car. Even a late 60's mustang with an rb26 swap (lol Tokyo drift). I definantly like that black cherry better. White is nice n clean but Ive always loved red. I personally wanna paint my car the color of supermex's car. That orange is freakin amazing. But its not really in the superclean and jdm category.

Ha ha, yeah seriously. I agree with you on the white, it's nice, But I want more substance to it. Orange is tight too, my first car was orange. It's awesome.
Old 11-23-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Eyger
I used Marhyde finishing glaze. The picture I posted, is when the glaze was still wet, when it dried, it looked much less glossy. It's cool though, sanding glaze is my favorite part, because it's so smooth. I read your Diy back when your first posted it, about the front shave, I liked it. I think it's a great mod, simple, but makes a hell of a difference. The only difference between me and you is that you had air power! I had good ol human muscle power!

i used my hand i dont like the power tool that he had. I think it comes out better by hand anyways Trust me on that. You got anymore pictures of that roof?

Last edited by Civicman1988; 11-24-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-24-2007
A long winded 7th genr

I think it comes out better when you use your hands too, because the work is more precise. Although slower, it's better. I'll snap some pictures of the roof. and post em, it looks good.
Old 11-25-2007
Registered!!

thanks cant wait to see them
Old 11-30-2007
Registered!!

any updates? Any new pics?
Old 12-01-2007

hey i have a question for you, mabee you'll know...

the rear bumer, there are two screws right behind the wheel to hold the bumper in tact (they're at the top). i need to take em out, cuz my wheel is rubbing on them (215/50/16 tires)

so, i want the literally glue my rear bumper on to my car (also plan to mold it on to my car so its one peice...but thats later)

what adheasive would u recomend? i was thinking JB weld! lol but im sure thats not the smartest thing in the world...but its sure damn strong.
Old 12-01-2007

o, i also plan on molding my side skirts on and my rear lip, so imma need to glue those things on too...
Old 12-03-2007
Registered!!

i used 5 min on my front lip then i fiberglassed over it to make it strong and molding to the car is not the smartest thing to do.
Old 12-07-2007
A long winded 7th genr

ok ok, some more roof pictures. You can clearly see where the body filler soaked up the primer. I partially blame it on the guy that painted my car, because he didn't do what I asked him too, any ways, check em out. More updates when I get a second job, or a new higher paying job.

I have a feeling I might be able to get all the materials together next february. Being that I'll get a phatty tax refund and I'll get 3 paychecks that month. So it'll be bitchin. Still no updates as of late. You'll hear about it when I'm back up and running.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	73273   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	73274   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	73275  
Old 12-07-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
hey i have a question for you, mabee you'll know...

the rear bumer, there are two screws right behind the wheel to hold the bumper in tact (they're at the top). i need to take em out, cuz my wheel is rubbing on them (215/50/16 tires)

so, i want the literally glue my rear bumper on to my car (also plan to mold it on to my car so its one peice...but thats later)

what adheasive would u recomend? i was thinking JB weld! lol but im sure thats not the smartest thing in the world...but its sure damn strong.
I have the perfect solution for you. And I've been through all of this before, so you can trust me on it. My first car was full molded body kit.

if you want to mold anything to anything, purchase 3M's 3118 two part panel bonding adhesive. My buddys car back in the day used it to mold his kit and it's the best adhesive i've ever seen. The only draw back is first you have to purchase the gun, manual or pneumatic, either way, and second, it's pretty expensive stuff. Although you don't need all that much to get the job done. It's an adhesive not a filler. So after you got everything together, you fit the rear bumper in place, use the gun to lay a continuous bead of the panel bonding adhesive and sandwich the bumper to the quarter panel. Let some of it squeeze out. Wipe excess off with a finger using a rubber glove or a plastic scrapper then clamp the $h!t out of it and let it dry, i think it's like 24 hours of something like that. when done, apply regular body filler to make the gap flat, easy as that. This stuff is definitely strong enough too. 3M made it originally as a panel adhesive to use when welding can't be don't I.e. fiberglass, thin panels etc. remember when you mold your body kit, you can never get it off. Molded kits are really nice though IMO if you have any other questions PM me.
Old 12-08-2007
Registered!!

nice update i like the pictures and ur right that guy that primed it needs to be slapped bad lol
Old 12-08-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Originally Posted by Civicman1988
nice update i like the pictures and ur right that guy that primed it needs to be slapped bad lol

Heh, yeah he does. I took a video of him painting on my cell phone and it's laughable.... I don't know how to explain it, instead of doing long strokes, for coverage, he like did little spurts of primer back and forth, I was pretty much slamming my head on the wall at that point thinking, oh god I can't believe I'm paying him to do this....I asked him to go over the spots where I broke through to the primer first, let it dry and then go over the whole thing, never did that. I left to get some food and he just fudged it all up. I wish I had a paint booth of my own.
Old 12-08-2007
Registered!!

vacivic2005 is a jewel in the roughvacivic2005 is a jewel in the roughvacivic2005 is a jewel in the roughvacivic2005 is a jewel in the rough

you were supposed to weld in a piece, then use filler above that. the body flexes up on the roof, it will crack, eventually.
Old 12-13-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Originally Posted by vacivic2005
you were supposed to weld in a piece, then use filler above that. the body flexes up on the roof, it will crack, eventually.
Well, I disagree. based on the way that I did the work. I guess now, only time will tell, but regardless, I like the look. not to mention that I'll be purchasing chassis stiffening components soon as well.
Old 12-13-2007
Registered!!

vacivic2005 is a jewel in the roughvacivic2005 is a jewel in the roughvacivic2005 is a jewel in the roughvacivic2005 is a jewel in the rough

not something i'd ever do, glad you like it though, hope it doesn't crack.

Quick Reply: Exterior build thread-Eyger (Vote for which color I should paint my car! (and rims))