Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Need Advice ~ Cold Air Intake/Exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Need Advice ~ Cold Air Intake/Exhaust...

Ok, since I don't want to be a Rice-a-Roney...old man, I want opinions on some things.

I am looking for sound mainly but a few extra HP wont hurt either! I know ya can't get much with a 4 banger like ours. So sound seems more interesting than HP's. I am not getting a turbo so forget that.

Anyway, I have the 2002 EX SEDAN. So, I am looking for a Cold-Air Intake which not only provides the best performance but also has some decent sound to it.

Next, I need a nice sounding exhaust. I want something to give me the "deepest" sound a 4cyl. can give yet be a little performace nice too!

And...maybe a new throttle body to boot.

Price is always something I need to look at but since the car is paid off I am more interested in getting a sweet ride cause it's gonna last a long time.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 11-25-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
cold air intake ruins engine if you drive in the rain with it, exhaust who knows there are so many and most are loud and annoying.
Old 11-25-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
I would go with a short ram for sound. The Weapon R has been getting good reviews in that department on this board. I also hear decent things about the AEM V2. I have a regular AEM short ram that I like just fine. It was about $100 new on ebay. As far as exhaust goes, if you have no illusions that you'll get HP gains out of it, just get an axle back. Check meganracing.com, or the FS threads on here. People are always selling intakes, and exhausts. As for the cat backs, Apexi and HKS sound good, I'm told. Personally, I'm in about the same situation you are, except mine's not paid for and it's a DX. I have no interest in swapping the header and cat from an EX, so I'm just going to go with an axle back in the near future. You should also look into suspension, if you haven't already done that. It'll make you faster in the corners.
Old 11-25-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
isnt the HKS an axelback and not a catback. but i head the RS*R is nice sounding
Old 11-25-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
From what I can see, the HKS Hi Power comes with some kind of pipe. Whether it attaches to the cat or the resonator is not clear on the site i'm looking. The pipe looks short, but the description says it's cat back. I'm not sure it maybe it's cat back for some cars but not ours??? Either way, I've heard good things about it.
Old 11-25-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
the rsr is sometimes too loud for my taste but usually not annoying. and it doesnt have a resonator, just a heavy muffler. the looks more than make up for any faults.
Old 11-25-2006
Registered!!

puidokas is an unknown quantity at this point
Apex N-1 i got one, youll love it.
Old 11-26-2006
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
the hks is only an axle back. but the apexi WS is probably the lowest exhaust note and lowest volume you can find of any exhaust system for the 7thgen. Don't bother doing anything with your exhaust header or cat, keep them they way they are. I also wouldnt bother doing squat with the TB either, because unless you need the higher flow rate for turbo or cams, it wouldn't be worth the money or hassle. just my 2 cents.
Old 11-26-2006
Registered!!

SOAD is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gearbox
cold air intake ruins engine if you drive in the rain with it, exhaust who knows there are so many and most are loud and annoying.
idk it depends on where and how you drive, i have had my cai on my civic for almost 3 years and not one problem. Just avoid puddles and stuff like that, get a bypass valve to be safe. Driven through hurricanes and blizzards with not one problem
Old 11-26-2006
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by skipbarber
the hks is only an axle back. but the apexi WS is probably the lowest exhaust note and lowest volume you can find of any exhaust system for the 7thgen. Don't bother doing anything with your exhaust header or cat, keep them they way they are. I also wouldnt bother doing squat with the TB either, because unless you need the higher flow rate for turbo or cams, it wouldn't be worth the money or hassle. just my 2 cents.
I have a Sedan. I can't find the Apexi WS version for that. Can you provide a link? Thanks. Everything seems like it's made for the coupe.

BTW, I had to remove the rusted out head shield from my original cat because it was making too much noise. My cat looks like **** and probably needs replaced soon. Would this be an OEM replacement or does the new exhaust system come with it? When I upgrade to an Apexi for instance, is that just part of the exhaust like the muffler or does it entail the whole thing, including all pipes and cat? Sorry, no clue about exhausts.

Hey Gearbox, Yes, I had an old E-Bay Short Ram a while back if you can remember but it was cheap. That's why I wanted to maybe try the cold intake. But, another short ram is an option IF it's better and not so damn annoying. HAHA... It gets old after a while plus the cheap E-Bay special short ram gave me power lags I think.

I want a little better (deeper) sound but I don't want to sound like some kid on a moped who took off the baffles going down the street. Talk about RICE!! Those people are rediculous.

Anybody hear like one of those STi's with a nice exhaust? Holy sheet bat man!! That almost makes you cream your pants!! I know our lousy 4 banger can't possibly produce those sounds but if I could make it a little deeper that would be nice.

Last edited by UltimateWarrior; 11-26-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
SOAD has the skunk 2 exhaust and its its LOUD, but deep loud. try looking into that.
Old 11-26-2006
Registered!!

yea i got the skunk 2 megapower catback exhaust, its the loudest one they make for the 7thgens. It is very loud and very deep, extremely deep actually....idk how loud you wanna go but if you want loud this the exhaust you want and its not even close to the ricey sound...cause i hate that too
Old 11-26-2006
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
Get a DC5R/05 type-s muffler. Upgrade the exhaust to match (2.25"). Megan Racing cat/resonator with defouler trick. Then get a Weapon-R SRI. My Iceman intake was good for sound too. You'll get as good as you can without the rice.
Old 11-26-2006
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by SOAD
yea i got the skunk 2 megapower catback exhaust, its the loudest one they make for the 7thgens. It is very loud and very deep, extremely deep actually....idk how loud you wanna go but if you want loud this the exhaust you want and its not even close to the ricey sound...cause i hate that too
Well, I would like deep but I don't want something so loud it would annoy people. I live in the "burbs". Hey, got some sound samples??? Haha...

Old 11-26-2006
Registered!!

it wont annoy people, sounds samples? naaaaaa lol....ill see what i can get done tho, im not gonna guarantee anything tho
Old 11-26-2006
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CIVIC...spagenameZWDVW

This one? Does it matter if it's a coupe or sedan? This doesn't say.
Old 11-26-2006
Registered!!

yea thats it but i didnt get mine from ebay, coupe exhaust on a sedan will stick out more
Old 11-26-2006
Premium Member

unless you have oem coupe lip
Old 11-26-2006
Registered!!

dk1021 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a megan racing axleback on my sedan, has a nice deep tone and for a decent price.