Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Need Advice ~ Cold Air Intake/Exhaust... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/284623-need-advice-cold-air-intake-exhaust.html)

UltimateWarrior 11-25-2006 06:50 PM

Need Advice ~ Cold Air Intake/Exhaust...

Ok, since I don't want to be a Rice-a-Roney...old man, I want opinions on some things. :lol:

I am looking for sound mainly but a few extra HP wont hurt either! I know ya can't get much with a 4 banger like ours. So sound seems more interesting than HP's. I am not getting a turbo so forget that.

Anyway, I have the 2002 EX SEDAN. So, I am looking for a Cold-Air Intake which not only provides the best performance but also has some decent sound to it.

Next, I need a nice sounding exhaust. I want something to give me the "deepest" sound a 4cyl. can give yet be a little performace nice too!

And...maybe a new throttle body to boot.

Price is always something I need to look at but since the car is paid off I am more interested in getting a sweet ride cause it's gonna last a long time.

Thanks for any advice.

:rockon:

gearbox 11-25-2006 06:56 PM

cold air intake ruins engine if you drive in the rain with it, exhaust who knows there are so many and most are loud and annoying.

AmbulanceMonkee 11-25-2006 07:01 PM

I would go with a short ram for sound. The Weapon R has been getting good reviews in that department on this board. I also hear decent things about the AEM V2. I have a regular AEM short ram that I like just fine. It was about $100 new on ebay. As far as exhaust goes, if you have no illusions that you'll get HP gains out of it, just get an axle back. Check meganracing.com, or the FS threads on here. People are always selling intakes, and exhausts. As for the cat backs, Apexi and HKS sound good, I'm told. Personally, I'm in about the same situation you are, except mine's not paid for and it's a DX. I have no interest in swapping the header and cat from an EX, so I'm just going to go with an axle back in the near future. You should also look into suspension, if you haven't already done that. It'll make you faster in the corners.

CenZ 11-25-2006 08:35 PM

isnt the HKS an axelback and not a catback. but i head the RS*R is nice sounding

AmbulanceMonkee 11-25-2006 08:40 PM

From what I can see, the HKS Hi Power comes with some kind of pipe. Whether it attaches to the cat or the resonator is not clear on the site i'm looking. The pipe looks short, but the description says it's cat back. I'm not sure it maybe it's cat back for some cars but not ours??? Either way, I've heard good things about it.

gearbox 11-25-2006 09:02 PM

the rsr is sometimes too loud for my taste but usually not annoying. and it doesnt have a resonator, just a heavy muffler. the looks more than make up for any faults.

puidokas 11-25-2006 09:13 PM

Apex N-1 i got one, youll love it.

skipbarber 11-26-2006 12:56 AM

the hks is only an axle back. but the apexi WS is probably the lowest exhaust note and lowest volume you can find of any exhaust system for the 7thgen. Don't bother doing anything with your exhaust header or cat, keep them they way they are. I also wouldnt bother doing squat with the TB either, because unless you need the higher flow rate for turbo or cams, it wouldn't be worth the money or hassle. just my 2 cents.

SOAD 11-26-2006 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4091098)
cold air intake ruins engine if you drive in the rain with it, exhaust who knows there are so many and most are loud and annoying.

idk it depends on where and how you drive, i have had my cai on my civic for almost 3 years and not one problem. Just avoid puddles and stuff like that, get a bypass valve to be safe. Driven through hurricanes and blizzards with not one problem

UltimateWarrior 11-26-2006 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by skipbarber (Post 4091238)
the hks is only an axle back. but the apexi WS is probably the lowest exhaust note and lowest volume you can find of any exhaust system for the 7thgen. Don't bother doing anything with your exhaust header or cat, keep them they way they are. I also wouldnt bother doing squat with the TB either, because unless you need the higher flow rate for turbo or cams, it wouldn't be worth the money or hassle. just my 2 cents.

I have a Sedan. I can't find the Apexi WS version for that. Can you provide a link? Thanks. Everything seems like it's made for the coupe.

BTW, I had to remove the rusted out head shield from my original cat because it was making too much noise. My cat looks like shit and probably needs replaced soon. Would this be an OEM replacement or does the new exhaust system come with it? When I upgrade to an Apexi for instance, is that just part of the exhaust like the muffler or does it entail the whole thing, including all pipes and cat? Sorry, no clue about exhausts.

Hey Gearbox, Yes, I had an old E-Bay Short Ram a while back if you can remember but it was cheap. That's why I wanted to maybe try the cold intake. But, another short ram is an option IF it's better and not so damn annoying. HAHA... It gets old after a while plus the cheap E-Bay special short ram gave me power lags I think.

I want a little better (deeper) sound but I don't want to sound like some kid on a moped who took off the baffles going down the street. Talk about RICE!! Those people are rediculous. :_please:

Anybody hear like one of those STi's with a nice exhaust? Holy sheet bat man!! That almost makes you cream your pants!! I know our lousy 4 banger can't possibly produce those sounds but if I could make it a little deeper that would be nice.

CenZ 11-26-2006 12:20 PM

SOAD has the skunk 2 exhaust and its its LOUD, but deep loud. try looking into that.

SOAD 11-26-2006 12:43 PM

yea i got the skunk 2 megapower catback exhaust, its the loudest one they make for the 7thgens. It is very loud and very deep, extremely deep actually....idk how loud you wanna go but if you want loud this the exhaust you want and its not even close to the ricey sound...cause i hate that too

kornsined 11-26-2006 12:44 PM

Get a DC5R/05 type-s muffler. Upgrade the exhaust to match (2.25"). Megan Racing cat/resonator with defouler trick. Then get a Weapon-R SRI. My Iceman intake was good for sound too. You'll get as good as you can without the rice.

UltimateWarrior 11-26-2006 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by SOAD (Post 4091451)
yea i got the skunk 2 megapower catback exhaust, its the loudest one they make for the 7thgens. It is very loud and very deep, extremely deep actually....idk how loud you wanna go but if you want loud this the exhaust you want and its not even close to the ricey sound...cause i hate that too

Well, I would like deep but I don't want something so loud it would annoy people. I live in the "burbs". Hey, got some sound samples??? Haha...

:rockon:

SOAD 11-26-2006 05:44 PM

it wont annoy people, sounds samples? naaaaaa lol....ill see what i can get done tho, im not gonna guarantee anything tho :giggle:

UltimateWarrior 11-26-2006 08:23 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CIVIC...spagenameZWDVW

This one? Does it matter if it's a coupe or sedan? This doesn't say.

SOAD 11-26-2006 08:39 PM

yea thats it but i didnt get mine from ebay, coupe exhaust on a sedan will stick out more

gearbox 11-26-2006 09:00 PM

unless you have oem coupe lip :)

dk1021 11-26-2006 10:30 PM

I have a megan racing axleback on my sedan, has a nice deep tone and for a decent price.