Simple spoiler brake light question - Honda Civic Forum

Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2006   #1  
Registered!!

dnyblock is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Simple spoiler brake light question

i bought 02 civic ex coupe from honda dealership with o.e.m. spoiler w/ l.e.d. brake light. neither the l.e.d. spoiler brake light or the high mount rear window brake light were hooked up.

just recently i managed to hook up the high mount rear window brake light by basically just plugging the bulb harness into another harness which was not connected to anything.

i would like to have both brake lights working, but without having to splice or solder any wires, basically just plug and play. i dont think this is possible, so i guess my real question is can i just unplug the high mount window brake light and plug that wire into spoiler light harness? and if so, i need help locating/recognizing the spoiler light wire. any advice would help, thanks.

P.S.
1. I know the l.e.d. light detaches from the spoiler.
2. I hope i don't have to detach the complete spoiler just to figure out which wire is for the light.
3. Do either brake lights(spoiler/rear window) light up when you turn your headlights on, like the tail lights? or only when you brake?

dnyblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #2  
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
there should be a harness coming off the spoiler that should plug into the stock brake light harness if the spoiler is a real oem. if not you may need to tap the wires to the harness.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #3  
30 Years Driving Japanese Autos

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
With the OEM kit there is a harness that runs from the spoiler to trunk zip tied to trunk hinges and has a plug that mates up with the unplugged bulb/socket from the high mount. The harness is somewhat in plain site if there.

The harness should be somewhere.

#3 either brake light will only be lit when braking.
CraigW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #4  
Registered!!

dnyblock is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you, well now i just have to find the wire coming from the spoiler brake light, maybe they stuffed it somewhere in the underside of my trunk and never hooked it up after installing my spoiler. today i will do a thoro search, and i will let u know how it turns out. knowing that i must apply the brakes to light up the spoiler light(not just turn the headlights on) is also a big help. Thanks again!!!
dnyblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #5  
Registered!!

rev125yz is an unknown quantity at this point
just spice the wires which should be coming down the right side from where the spoiler is bolted, if it is an oem knockoff like mine. then test them by inserting them into the harness to see which wires should be spliced with which. then just screw on a couple of wings nuts
rev125yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #6  
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
just spice into you brake light in the window
Civicman1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #7  
Registered!!

rev125yz is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^what he said
rev125yz is offline   Reply With Quote