Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Maybe a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GACivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a cell phone. It's on my mom's plan for an extra $10 a month, she pays for that. Morally I'll probably give her that a month too. Food she pays for, I don't feel that is morably wrong, considering I live there, and do chores and what not. Maintence with a warranty is a breeze. I've had things go wrong with my used certified car or whatever and they pay for all of it.
Old 02-07-2006
Ride BMX

Mutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enoughMutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enough
im 20 and my dad bought me my car and pays for insurance and my cell fone bill and everything. it helps out a lot cuz i save a lot of money.. trust me dude you dont want to be in a position where you cant pay.. if you feel bad you didnt buy your car youre going to feel worse if you lose your job and your mom starts to pay the payments.. its gonna be more rough on her..
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ***** Fn FBM 85
im 20 and my dad bought me my car and pays for insurance and my cell fone bill and everything. it helps out a lot cuz i save a lot of money.. trust me dude you dont want to be in a position where you cant pay.. if you feel bad you didnt buy your car youre going to feel worse if you lose your job and your mom starts to pay the payments.. its gonna be more rough on her..
If you're talking about rough on her in a $ thing... No it won't. We are about to get another $250,000 from the government. I'm about 90% sure we'll get it, because my dad's cancer was caused by working at a bomb plant.

It's a job at a computer place, where they are going to train me, etc.. And I'll learn and work there. If I get fired... I can get my job back at Sonic Drive Inn which I really don't want to do, but if for some crazy reason I get fired, I would do that to pick up on the payments.

My mom pays for everything else sadly enough, but I could help out a little if I get the job and pay the payments. I will still have an extra $600 a month to spend.
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

schematicsskate will become famous soon enoughschematicsskate will become famous soon enough
im 17 as well, ive tought of this idea many times, maybe taking over the payments of my parents car or maybe buying a little hatch. It just doesnt add up tho, you drive that civic for free im guessing. Take that money your going to be making and save it for college.

I wont do it, but i know how you feel
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

juanotejano is an unknown quantity at this point
hes gonna get free college he says.
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by schematicsskate
im 17 as well, ive tought of this idea many times, maybe taking over the payments of my parents car or maybe buying a little hatch. It just doesnt add up tho, you drive that civic for free im guessing. Take that money your going to be making and save it for college.

I wont do it, but i know how you feel
People have been donating for college since my fathers deaths. My high school counselor said college will basically paid for since my dad died.
Old 02-07-2006
Ride BMX

Mutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enoughMutha Fn FBM 85 will become famous soon enough
if yuor mom agrees do it. i think the new civics dont look good. buy an rsx.
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ***** Fn FBM 85
if yuor mom agrees do it. i think the new civics dont look good. buy an rsx.
I don't think she will... My car is lowered and Honda keeps my warranty. We have like become friends with the service center up there. They fixed suspension problems under warranty, after it being lowered.

So basically she loves the Honda warranty.
Old 02-07-2006
im a psychopath...what are you looking at?

claudeboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by diskreet
BAD IDEA!!!!
Just remember that you only have that job a few months... the car payments are every month!!! dont make a huge mistake. keep your car, go through college, and then get something new!

If at 17 you have a car, especially if its paid off, keep it till it dies or you start a really well paying job. You won't be able to handle the payments every month. Trust me. I have my civic fully paid off and I will not buy a new car till I either graduate college and get a good job or win the lottery!

...i'l try to win the lottery if i were u
Old 02-07-2006
ultra super duper member

01vic will become famous soon enough01vic will become famous soon enough
i just dont see your reasoning behind buying a new car that they still have to work bugs out of, that will only make you drive fast and get tickets, and that you wont have time to drive cuz youre in college, when you have a perfectly capable one sitting right in front of you... it just doesnt add up

im sure you can pay for it and handle that, but its not like itll change your life or anything... its just a car, and youll get bored with it just like the one you have now, AND you wont have any money.....

whats an Si going to give you that your civic wont? the ability to drive faster?? get some sticky tires, a k-swap and youre there my friend... fun driving...BUT, if buying new stuff for your current car doesnt make you like it, why do you think buying a whole new car will???

just step back and think about it for a while...
Old 02-07-2006
Registered!!

hondoer27 will become famous soon enoughhondoer27 will become famous soon enough
You are too young to be thinking about buying a brand new car. Live a little before you have to work everyday all day just to pay of your car. Oh and think what if you loose your job then what your screwed. My advice is save your money and when you find a reasonable car you buy it and mod the s*** out of it. That is what I did (mods arent done yet though). Hope that helps
Old 02-07-2006
soooon to be psshh

kimchi29 is an unknown quantity at this point
honestly, in your situation i would just stick with the car you have now. pay it all off, go to college, get a job then think about a new car. trust me by that time you'll want to get something besides a civic and you'll hopefully have the funds for it by then. what you want will change with time. Also im sorry to hear about your father.

as i mentioned earlier, i am also getting the new si down the line, around august/october. in my situation, i dont have any payments at all so i have nothing to worry about. im 19 by the way. and for credit wise, i have a car under my name that my parents co-signed, and a credit card that my parents use but its under my name. all to build my credit. i wouldn't put your future credit at risk. if you are in a comfortable situation now, dont change it. save up a lil money and boost or swap, you dont want to tie yourself down with 23k.
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

Thuener will become famous soon enoughThuener will become famous soon enough
do it if you think you can handle it financially. Keep in mind though, you CAN span your loan over a longer period of time to decrease monthy payments, but ask yourself this: are you still going to be making good money when you're 21? or are u going to be off at school. Prioritize your cash flow, don't jump to purchases or u'll end up working off ur debt.
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

A lot of you people that say NOT to do it, keep repeating things that aren't true.

First off "If you lose you're job you'll ruin your credit"
Answer : My mom will catch the payments until I get another, then I will repay her.

Pay off your car first
Answer : My car is payed off

Something about college
Answer : College is basically paid for, for me. I will live at home for my 1st two years of college, then transfer.

Boost or K-Swap
Answer : My car is in my mom's name, and so will my next car. No matter how much $ I have, she won't let me do anything, especially because it is under warranty.

My mom fully backs me up on this idea, if she didn't think I could do it, she wouldn't let me.
Old 02-08-2006
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Ok, I'm not reading through pages of crap because there are a few people who are just bitching to bitch.

Here's my advice...
Take the job and keep your car. Take up a hobby to get your mind off your dad. I took up exercising (which progressed to bodybuilding) when my dad was near death. It's a great form of therapy.

Save up your money until october and then reevaluate your situation. If you save all you make until October, you'll be sitting on over $8,000. Maybe it'll be worth it then because your payments will be $3XX per month if you put $8,000 down on a $20,000 car.

Hell, at 17, I had no idea what I wanted eight months down the road... but I do with I had all that damned money I put into my Civic back. That was like $6,000 that I've got basically nothing to show for now.
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by white2K2EX
Ok, I'm not reading through pages of crap because there are a few people who are just bitching to bitch.

Here's my advice...
Take the job and keep your car. Take up a hobby to get your mind off your dad. I took up exercising (which progressed to bodybuilding) when my dad was near death. It's a great form of therapy.

Save up your money until october and then reevaluate your situation. If you save all you make until October, you'll be sitting on over $8,000. Maybe it'll be worth it then because your payments will be $3XX per month if you put $8,000 down on a $20,000 car.

Hell, at 17, I had no idea what I wanted eight months down the road... but I do with I had all that damned money I put into my Civic back. That was like $6,000 that I've got basically nothing to show for now.
Good point about the downpayment. But I am pretty sure my mom is going to loan me a few thousand for the downpayment. Write down how much I owe her, and I'll pay her little by little (couple hundred a month) until I have payed her off.
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light
Just do what you want because maybe you can pull this off maybe you can't. Either way everybody learns from their mistakes. No matter what people tell you to do on this site, when the time comes down to it, you'll still do whatever you want to do, no matter what anyone says. You know your current situation better than anyone else. Take a few days, sleep on it and then decide on what you really want to do.

If i were you, i would be happy with what i have. My very first car was a 85 cressida back when i was 17. I bought my own car at 18-19 and still paying it now, almost done, pay for my own insurance and blah blah blah. I'm 21 now and full time students, it's not easy but doable. YOU DECIDE
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
do whatever you want man, if you mess up your plans, you mess up; if you don't, then more power to ya.
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

Also obviously I'll take my wheels off and sell them (MSR 18" Gunmetal). I'll take my cd player out and sell it since the 06s have such nice stock cd players. I'll have a sub and a amp, that I can just swap over to the 06.

But I can probably get $150 for the CD player (brand new) and around $500-600 for the wheels.

I might just trade the civic in for a good downpayment, if they give me enough for it.(highly doubtful)
Old 02-08-2006
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Well if your mom is rich, go ahead and get the fun new car. But I wouldn't look forward to working your *** off to repay your mom/make car payments. Cuz you will find out that it is not fun at all.
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

CustomXSpunjah is an unknown quantity at this point
Your an idiot dont do it. I hate to be the mean one but i have to let you know. I have an EXTREMELY well paying job (average $20 an hour) and im 17. If i had to pay what your gonna pay-$400+ a month, i would have about $600 spending money left over a month but you know what the shitty part is? You just gave up your perfectly good car to Pay money out of your *** and the inability to upgrade it due to financial reasons. At your pay rate, $400 a month is busting your *** to make payments and having no money left over for spending. Make a wise decision before you jump into something I GARUNTEE you will regret. 06 civic si's arent worth the money imho, you could just save up that extra bit and buy something that counts-s2k or vette :P (used vette of course). Now imagine it, a 19 yr old riding in a badass tricked out S2000 or a 21 year old making payments to a 4 year old car. choose wisely
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CustomXSpunjah
Your an idiot dont do it. I hate to be the mean one but i have to let you know. I have an EXTREMELY well paying job (average $20 an hour) and im 17. If i had to pay what your gonna pay-$400+ a month, i would have about $600 spending money left over a month but you know what the shitty part is? You just gave up your perfectly good car to Pay money out of your *** and the inability to upgrade it due to financial reasons. At your pay rate, $400 a month is busting your *** to make payments and having no money left over for spending. Make a wise decision before you jump into something I GARUNTEE you will regret. 06 civic si's arent worth the money imho, you could just save up that extra bit and buy something that counts-s2k or vette :P (used vette of course). Now imagine it, a 19 yr old riding in a badass tricked out S2000 or a 21 year old making payments to a 4 year old car. choose wisely
$400 isn't that much money. That is only $100 a week, which is basically minimum wage. I will still have plenty of spending money.

My mom likes Honda's and supports the Civic SI idea.

She would NEVER let me get a car like a S2000 (she thinks verts are unsafe) or a Vette (everyone knows they are fast)
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

wheamahm0n3yat is an unknown quantity at this point
i guess you have your mind set of getting it... so do whatever you want to do... all you did was waste people time giving advice by posting this thread.
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

By the way, I went to KBB and looked up the estimated payments, if they give me $7000 for my car. It was $259 a month.
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

tarheel365 is an unknown quantity at this point
or...why don't u save 400$ and put it into some sort of investment package. a CD or just a savings account. a car is gonna be worth half of what you paid for in 3-4 years. if you wanna work on cars, don't buy a new one....buy an older 'vic. if you just want speed buy a bike.

how many hours a week do u spend on working?
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tarheel365
or...why don't u save 400$ and put it into some sort of investment package. a CD or just a savings account. a car is gonna be worth half of what you paid for in 3-4 years. if you wanna work on cars, don't buy a new one....buy an older 'vic. if you just want speed buy a bike.

how many hours a week do u spend on working?
Uncle = can only move above his neck b/c of a bike. So thats not an option.

I plan on working 20-30 hours a week, after school and on the weekends.
Old 02-08-2006
Formerly 2blu

Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
I say no. Just because i was in a very similar situation to u. I live at home and i was pulling in 800 a week only working 15-20 hours, straight cash. My car is paid for, i dont pay for insurance, and i dont have any bills. I have cash stacked up in the bank and i was sooooooo close to buying a cobra. But then i realized its not worth it. Why spend money on a car when i already have a perfectly good one that is paid for? I would have to change how i spent and saved my money, and i didnt want to do that cuz i was having to much fun spending money like it grew on a tree. Plus when/if u go to college i dont think that u should be stressed to make payments on a car when u have A LOT of things to worry about.
Old 02-08-2006
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by GACivic
Good point about the downpayment. But I am pretty sure my mom is going to loan me a few thousand for the downpayment. Write down how much I owe her, and I'll pay her little by little (couple hundred a month) until I have payed her off.
Duuuuuuuude. If you took your $8,000 and the dealer gave you $7,000 for your car, you would only have a $5,000 loan! If you paid it off over three years, that'd only be $139 per month!

I'm not going to say you're crazy if you get a new car, but if you get it and don't go that route ^^^, then you're out of your mind....

...coz with my plan, you'd have money to mod
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

I don't have $8,000...It would just be whatever they gave me for my car. Which should be around $7,000 which would make the payments like $240 a month.
Old 02-08-2006
2005SE

You seem really hooked on this idea, but at least wait until you finish one semester of college until you make a decision. EVERYTHING changes in college. I understand your tuition is paid for, but there are so many things you aren't accounting for. Also, even if you are a good driver, **** happens and let's face it, you are 17 = not an experienced driver. If something does happen, your insurance payment is going to freakin explode! I'm not looking down on you, I'm just saying wait a year or two and then make your decision. Also, if you want to finish college in 4 years, you will NOT be able to work 30 hours a week and maintain your grades. I'm a college grad, just take my word for it. If you want to spend $400 a month, then put that 400 in a savings account for a year or two and use it as a down payment. Then you won't NEED Mom's help. I understand she wants to help you, but if you really want to feel some responsibility, then you ought to be prepared to NOT rely on your mom.

Last edited by 2005SE; 02-08-2006 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Maybe a new car?