Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   Maybe a new car? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/246385-maybe-new-car.html)

GACivic 02-07-2006 08:55 PM

Maybe a new car?

Ok well I'm 17, and I've never actually paid for my own car. I'm tired of the 02 LX. And I was at the Honda dealership looking at cars today and I really like the 06 coupe's. I might be getting a job that pays 10.5 an hour and thats pretty damn good for a 17 year olds job while still in high school.

Anyways I looked up prices, and I think I'll get a 06 Civic SI with the upgraded 18" wheels if I get a job.

Good/Bad idea?

drew22mader 02-07-2006 08:58 PM

Do you know how much your payments are gonna be? a car that costs 20,000 is gonna be like 400 a month, not sure if you know that or not, plus insurance too.

GACivic 02-07-2006 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by drew22mader
Do you know how much your payments are gonna be? a car that costs 20,000 is gonna be like 400 a month, not sure if you know that or not, plus insurance too.

I'm 17. I dont have a house payment or anything like that.

drew22mader 02-07-2006 09:03 PM

yea, but you'll think twice when all your money goes towards a car payment, and you can't mod it or do anything else cause your paying all for your car. I went and test drove an Si the other day. I still live at home, i'm 21, have a job and go to college, and i could afford it if i wanted, but there are a few things stopping me, 1. Don't wanna just give up on my car 2. Don't want a high car payment. 3. I love my car, i'll just turbo it and be happy.

But more power to ya. Just good luck

diskreet 02-07-2006 09:04 PM

BAD IDEA!!!!
Just remember that you only have that job a few months... the car payments are every month!!! dont make a huge mistake. keep your car, go through college, and then get something new!

If at 17 you have a car, especially if its paid off, keep it till it dies or you start a really well paying job. You won't be able to handle the payments every month. Trust me. I have my civic fully paid off and I will not buy a new car till I either graduate college and get a good job or win the lottery!

GACivic 02-07-2006 09:05 PM

Not only do I like the car.

I like the idea of actually having the responsibility of paying for it. If I payed for the car, it would be MINE and mom couldn't say it was hers cause I pay for it (by law it would really be hers).

kimchi29 02-07-2006 09:06 PM

i have a 02 ex right now. im trading it in for a 07 si in october. parents are paying for everything so all i pay for is mods. i have a gas card as well. even with a 10.50 job, you'll be working part time right? i think it'll be tough with gas, car payments, and insurance.

drew22mader 02-07-2006 09:08 PM

Its not gonna be YOURS, you have to have a co-signer for your car, no bank will lend a 17 yr old kid money for a car and him not having a job, or just started working. They prolly won't even loan you the money with a co-signer. Its too much risk for them.

diskreet 02-07-2006 09:09 PM

yeah man never trade a free car if its not pitiful. Lets see you can pay $20,000 over the next few years, or have a blast with your money, do some nice mods to the current car, and put some money away for later too!
The whole responsibility will be great up until the first month you cannot afford it. Then your life goes to hell. (My friends have done this and its not funny at all. it sucks.)

wheamahm0n3yat 02-07-2006 09:10 PM

insurance is going to murder you...... 10.50 is not enough... plus if you never had anything under your name... you might not even get approved for a loan to get it. unless you put a big down payment... and interest will be high.

GACivic 02-07-2006 09:11 PM

The job pays about 500 something every 2 weeks. (friend works there currently)Thats enough for my car payment with a lil change. Then I'll have around another 500 a month just to blow on whatever or save.

fiatdale 02-07-2006 09:11 PM

Dont you have to be 18 to even have a checking account? You MIGHT get financed, and if you do the rate will be huge because you have no credit. Your insurance will be sky high, even if you are still on your parents policy. Just think it through. When i was 17 all i wanted was a brand new car, but even being 22 now, I realize how stupid I would have been with it if I did have one. Consider some other options man, and be safe. What happens when you go to college and cant work everyday? How are you going to pay for it? You dont want the repo guys coming and taking it, especially screwing up your credit being that young. Hope you make a smart choice.

GACivic 02-07-2006 09:12 PM

Let me explain this better.

It will be under my MOM'S name. I will give her the payments and she will pay for it. Insurance will also be in MOM'S name but I will be a driver on it too.

GACivic 02-07-2006 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by fiatdale
Dont you have to be 18 to even have a checking account? .

No. I have a checking/savings account.

diskreet 02-07-2006 09:14 PM

I guarantee that if you buy a new car at 17 you WILL regret it sometime soon.

fiatdale 02-07-2006 09:14 PM

Get some more driving under your belt, save some money. Youve got your whole life to get a new car. pullin up to school in a new Si would be sweet, but be smart dude.

drew22mader 02-07-2006 09:14 PM

I'm telling you, your not gonna get approved, your gonna walk into the bank without a loan and walk right back out without it too. Your 17, right there your done, You don't have the job yet, Strike 2, You haven't had the job more the 6 months, Strike 3. Hell you don't have credit, Strike 4.

Face it, your done. i wouldn't even waste the persons time at the bank, they'll just tell you no and when you leave they are gonna just laugh.

manahoonie 02-07-2006 09:16 PM

do your parents take your car often? or do they have vehicles of their own?

car payment...$400/month

insurance...(i don't know, someone else fill this one in...)

gas...$30 a tank (lets say twice a month)

maintenance...about $100 every three months...give or take...

job paying 10.50 an hour (part time 20 hours a week): $210 a week (840 a month)

correct these areas as need be, and do the math...

diskreet 02-07-2006 09:16 PM

Ill take a 2001 sedan and an already near perfect credit score at 19 over an 06 si and ruining 7+ years of my life

fiatdale 02-07-2006 09:17 PM

^^yup!

drew22mader 02-07-2006 09:17 PM

You are gonna have to be rated on one of the cars in the house. I'm telling you its not worth it, how you gonna pay it if you get fired or something happens? When you go to college you gonna be able to work all the time and make the payments? Mom and Dad won't be there to make your payments and insurance for 6 more yrs.

GACivic 02-07-2006 09:18 PM

Ok this is difficult to explain. But say I had a gap, I lost my job or something. Mom could pay for it if she HAD to.

No my mom won't take my car, she drives a 2006 Chrysler 300C Hemi.

Father passed away almost exactly a year ago. I need something to keep my mind off of him (I have anxiety/depression problems) and paying for a car, and it being mine would make me feel good.

But my mom is taking out the loan. I am giving her the $ and she is paying. She will probably pay insurance too.

diskreet 02-07-2006 09:19 PM

Also note that events on your credit score take 7 years to clear. So if you screw up a few payments and get repo'ed or anything like that then you will spend 7 years not being able to get credit cards, cell phones, apartments, or school loans cause of terrible credit!

here is a simple alternative...
Save up over the next months. Get like 6K together. Do a K swap. you will be happy long time!

GACivic 02-07-2006 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by diskreet
Also note that events on your credit score take 7 years to clear. So if you screw up a few payments and get repo'ed or anything like that then you will spend 7 years not being able to get credit cards, cell phones, apartments, or school loans cause of terrible credit!

My mom will pay payments if I fail to due so and I'll have to give it to her later (That SHOULDN'T happen).

College is being payed for because of my father's death, blah blah.

fiatdale 02-07-2006 09:20 PM

If your car ends up getting re-poed, that will put you in even more depression. Its not a smart idea and I think all of us here agree

drew22mader 02-07-2006 09:21 PM

Thats not right, if you had any morals you wouldn't make your mom pay your damn car payment. You buying a car and paying for it takes your mind off something? Its one a month thing that takes 5 minutes. But the fact that your gonna try to make your mom pay for your car that you said you could afford is damn wrong i'm sorry.

GACivic 02-07-2006 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by drew22mader
Thats not right, if you had any morals you wouldn't make your mom pay your damn car payment. You buying a car and paying for it takes your mind off something? Its one a month thing that takes 5 minutes. But the fact that your gonna try to make your mom pay for your car that you said you could afford is damn wrong i'm sorry.

You're not understanding what I am saying. Mom isn't going to pay for it unless I get fired for some reason (never happened). She is taking the loan out. And I am paying the payments on it.

GACivic 02-07-2006 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by fiatdale
If your car ends up getting re-poed, that will put you in even more depression. Its not a smart idea and I think all of us here agree

I'll pay payments on it. If I fall behind mom will help me. She trusts me to do this or I wouldn't be trying to do it.

fiatdale 02-07-2006 09:23 PM

Dude, are you listening to anything we are saying?

dp_yz713 02-07-2006 09:23 PM

yah man thats a bad idea. i am 18 and my dad pays my insurence and i want to lower my car, but he said i have to pay everything if i do. the car is paid off and i got a quote on insurence and it was around 800 a month for full coverage. oh and i got a clean record