Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Cilvia just got towed to the shop....

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Cilvia just got towed to the shop....

after waiting for 7 1/2 hours for AAA to not show up we called a local guy who charged $165...the as$hol3s who showed up for AAA (MASSIVE TOWING,bunch of cokeheads...seriously) literally ripped my bumper when he triedputting it on the flatbed...(had slack in the line and the hook came loose from the car and pulled)...

I'll be explaining all the crap that happened later after I get home from Red's...and I'll post the pics of the damage

and the reason I needed a friggin tow anyways is cuz I think my tranny went out (the teeth breaking off/grinding down)

I dunno I'll have the update after I get Red to OBD the CEL.....
Old 10-29-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
I had to say it, but after reading that thread where you said you were basically neutral dropping... this is what will happen...
Old 10-29-2005

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler
I had to say it, but after reading that thread where you said you were basically neutral dropping... this is what will happen...

I never raced anyone like that I just sat the car in neutral at lights I knew I'd be at for a few minutes...always left it in drive...but yeah....
Old 10-29-2005

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Ahhhh ok. That whole thread was sort of confusing to me. I was under the impression about neutral drops... but I see what ya mean. I do that to, because the 7thgens brake has to be held down like ALL the way to stop yourself at a light, so instead of straining my foot I pop it into neutral also..
Old 10-29-2005

yeah...I know...I wanna say i did do it once or twice but when I did that drop noise happened and I immediately let off the gas...ya know when the gears are changing up..it kinda went clunk and thud and I was like WTF?...I never did it after that just did D to N when i would come to stop lights....

UPDATE as well.....I called Honda and they'll do the tranny rebuild for me and it will be $3700 I'ma call and complain to the honda corporation though cuz thats what my mechanic said (i'd do it through him but he can't find a tranny, new or used right now for cheaper)....he said if I complain enough about the fact that this is an automatic...2001 with 58k on it and question the integrity...they should give in and give me like half the price for the work...I dunno...I'm gonna upload a pic of the damage from the tow truck in a few...
Old 10-29-2005

Well you can do what I've done. Go INTO the dealership and talk to the mamnager out on the floor. Then start yelling your brains out about how there so called "quality" honda parts afre failing and your cars only got 55k miles on it!. Trust me you feel like a complete idiot but I've never had that fail on me. I actually just did it for one of my friedns last week. Usuauly they will get panicy and then be like lets go talk. Thenif that dosent woprk you write the nastiest letter to Honda of america telling them you've been purchasing cars at hodna forever and this has never happened and sgtart questioning their integrity. I had a firend do just that and he got his car completley fixed to brand new even AFTER he was out of warrenty.
Old 10-29-2005

I'll probably try that on monday....I did it before when they didn't want to honor my V.I.P card (just a discount card for owners who have purcahsed before 2001 I think) and it gives ya all sorts of duiscounts that they don't want to give anymore...

Pic of the damage...the others are on my g/f's step dad's camera.....

this is what happened when the driver left the car in neutral and it rolled forward causing slack in the chain and the hook slipped out as it was starting up the flatbed....
Old 10-29-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
^^^ I would contact AAA about that, maybe they'll make the towing company pay. Unfortuantly it's hard to PROVE they did it with a pic, hence the reason I got a camera phone finally, to protect myself.
Old 10-29-2005

oh yeah well it's a long drawn out piece of garbage...I'll summarize....I went to airport to pick up fiancee and engine has kinda whirring noise @ idle...on way back out of airport, tranny starts slipping and gas pedal revs the engine but speed doesn't increase, and the axles make the car feel like it has no traction (hard vibration like driving on gravel)...drop it all the way into 2 and throw the hazards...we end up in the back of Chili's parking lot(7pm) and wait for a truck they tell me it'll be 90 minutes I call @8:30 they tell me it will be 9:30 when the driver gets there, fiancee's parents arrive and wait with us...10 minutes later the flatbed arrives.... he decides to block the entrance/exit out of the chili's parking lot (there are 4 restaurants next to each other they all have exits this is the closest to the street) to pull the car up..so we push it out to the back of the truck...he gets the winch line down and lowers the bed...he starts to pull but the lip is touching...he grabs the wood planks to add an inch to the heighth to clear the lip of the flatbedand proceeds to pull it while leaving the car in neutral...the car rolls forward and the line gets slacked and rolls under the car lip...he starts to pull the car up the flatbed and the hook loosens and it slips off the car hook and grabs the bumper and the car slides ack down (only went up about 2 inches on the wood plank,only put the one plank under the dr side tire)...mayhem insues..we take pics he gets o the phone with his "manager/owner" and the guy rolls out 1 hour later (1 hour after lift attempt is 10:45) in his Lexus LX with 22's and dvd screens everywhere and his gucci tinted glasses and his "sugar sniff" now when he talks to me before he comes out on his guy's phone he says it like this " ok this is what were gonna do...were gonna get your car in our shop and fix the bumper and everything is gonna be taken care of by me nothing to worry about...I'll be out in about an hour to take pics of the damage and that will be it..." I say "no this is how it's gonna be...I want your name the company name and the number" he refuses and I say "well fine...you can either give me the info that I have every right to know....Or I can get an attorney to have you write it down on a check for me...it's your choice...I don't want you to fix it I want a reputable shop.." "well my friend we do the Orlando magic players cars...we do hundred thousand dollar cars all day every day...things like this hapen all the time there is no need for you to get an attorney for this..." "then give me the information I'm asking you for..." "I don't understand why you want to get an attorney..." "I don't need to get an attorney if I can get your info from you..." "Yeah we do this stuff all the time we'll just get you into our shop and you'lll be fixed in no time" "NO...I said NO...I have my own place I'm going to take it...I need the car running not looking showroom styled..." he finally comes out and tells me the same stuff about how he is gonna take care of it at his shop once he gets the pics...and my mom and bro arrive and they agree with me on what should be done...I'm not taking it to his shop just because he does this all the time...If he does this all the time he shouldn't be in business...he tries telling me if I take it to my shop they won't pay for it...and I said oh don't worry AAA will definitely send you the claim information and have you pay it...

4 hours later (2:15AM) we give up the fight with AAA to get us a truck cuz they told us it would be 90 minutes...every time we called them after the first guys left... so now we've been out there 7 1/2 hours in the chili's parking lot...we're all cold and hungry and tired and angry as hell and finally the guy we called outside of AAA came and got us and it cost me $165 and AAA is going to reimburse me....

Now I just wait for the tranny to be fixed and then I get the bumper fixed and Cilvia will be reborn hehe...but my god...this week has sucked...Oh and BTW that same morning I caught a flat tire at work in the parking lot...
Old 10-30-2005
Premium Member

kirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to beholdkirks04ex is a splendid one to behold
sucks...sorry to hear that
Old 10-31-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Originally Posted by Shroomster
yeah...I know...I wanna say i did do it once or twice but when I did that drop noise happened and I immediately let off the gas...ya know when the gears are changing up..it kinda went clunk and thud and I was like WTF?...I never did it after that just did D to N when i would come to stop lights....

UPDATE as well.....I called Honda and they'll do the tranny rebuild for me and it will be $3700 I'ma call and complain to the honda corporation though cuz thats what my mechanic said (i'd do it through him but he can't find a tranny, new or used right now for cheaper)....he said if I complain enough about the fact that this is an automatic...2001 with 58k on it and question the integrity...they should give in and give me like half the price for the work...I dunno...I'm gonna upload a pic of the damage from the tow truck in a few...

When I had a bearing changed after 160,000 miles on my nissan, I talked to the transmission shop owner a bit about the 7th gen honda transmissions and their problems. He rolled his eyes and explained to me that one of the clutch pack carriers in the transmission was made too thin, and begins to crack. This in turn can cause slippage at first, but WILL cause failure. Honda knows this, but of course denies it. The shops DO have access to an updated part to fix the original problem. Point is, LEAN ON HONDA. They know. They just don't want to accept a recall on these crap transmissions.
Old 10-31-2005
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
I had an auto rental once and I thought I dropped the tranny on the street
when I tried to do a roll back, it stalled and almost didn't start.
Old 10-31-2005
Registered!!

PiNoYxRaCeRxRH is an unknown quantity at this point
so when slowing down to a light don't shift into N from D?
Old 10-31-2005

^^^that sounds wise....at least now it does...after learning all this "new to me" stuff^^^
Old 10-31-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
all i know is after all i do to baby my car, if that tranny goes out before 200k miles at LEAST, i'm not buying another honda. just be glad you don't have an 8thgen. it feels like the tranny is breaking right off the showroom floor.
Old 10-31-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
btw i would definately go add your name to dezod's tranny cooler group buy. that thing is a must for our tranny.
Old 11-01-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gearbox
all i know is after all i do to baby my car, if that tranny goes out before 200k miles at LEAST, i'm not buying another honda. just be glad you don't have an 8thgen. it feels like the tranny is breaking right off the showroom floor.
My tranny works much better in my 8thgen than the 7thgen. The 7thgen let this little hiss out when it shifted and slipped on occasion, really wierd. It only had 20k on it and did all that from the day we bought it. The 8thgen seems to have a much better tranny, the 5 gears are a big plus too IMO. but to each our own
Old 11-01-2005
Premium Member

don't you think the 8thgen feels weird shifting and stuff? like its really sloppy and you can barely even hear it. i guess compared to the 7thgen
Old 11-01-2005

Originally Posted by tinman
When I had a bearing changed after 160,000 miles on my nissan, I talked to the transmission shop owner a bit about the 7th gen honda transmissions and their problems. He rolled his eyes and explained to me that one of the clutch pack carriers in the transmission was made too thin, and begins to crack. This in turn can cause slippage at first, but WILL cause failure. Honda knows this, but of course denies it. The shops DO have access to an updated part to fix the original problem. Point is, LEAN ON HONDA. They know. They just don't want to accept a recall on these crap transmissions.

doesn't the clutch pack refer to the manual or are you talking about the internal clutch in the automatic ( I have the auto, not a manual civic)

UPDATE:::: Just got off the phone with American Hondaand they said they are going to call me back in the next 48 hours or so to discuss what they can do for me...didn't hurt to tell them that the car we traded in for the Civic was a 92 accord ex.. that the service manager actually bought after parents traded it in to Honda...had 175k on it and only needed a spark plug job and new belts and hoses...god I miss that car....

1-800-999-1099

Last edited by Shroomster; 11-01-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-01-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
The clutch packs are hydraulically engaged in an auto. It has a clutch pack for each gear. I don't recall WHICH was too thin, but I'd guess 1st gear. When I drive by the shop I'll ask again. He said it was a design flaw. Yay honda.
Old 11-08-2005

Update!!!!!

talked with the case manager for my claim...he said the field manager or whomever...is going to take off 75% of the price...so I'm only paying around $850 for everything!!!!! WOOT!!!!!!

was told the total amount in the beginning would be approx. 4000

Last edited by Shroomster; 11-08-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2005

Originally Posted by Shroomster
talked with the case manager for my claim...he said the field manager or whomever...is going to take off 75% of the price...so I'm only paying around $850 for everything!!!!! WOOT!!!!!!

was told the total amount in the beginning would be approx. 4000

good for you!!! congrats!
Old 11-08-2005

Originally Posted by gearbox
don't you think the 8thgen feels weird shifting and stuff? like its really sloppy and you can barely even hear it. i guess compared to the 7thgen
IMO, it's to eager to shift, but it does that just to keep the RPMS low and because of the 5 gear thing. But I just realize it's only a little gas miser eninge that gets around 40MPG, so it is not going to produce huge amounts of power and has to jump gears to keep going.

But as for the shifting, I think it actually shifts better than the 7thgen. I think our 7thgen auto was a little screwy in the tranny, personally. My truck you can't hear anything when it shift is actually far smoother than either of the civics.

Anyway, I've never like any of the auto civic's I've driven, old or new. They always seemed really slow and like they where struggling to me. This car seems a little better, but I still think the manual is nicer.

It seems you got a better 7thgen auto than I and the my 8thgen is better than the one you drove.
Old 11-08-2005

shifting with the rebuilt tranny right now is like butter...no noise or popping or hard sounds....only other test I can do now is the hill test...park on my mom's driveway which has somewhere around a 30* slope I think....then turn it on and put it in reverse....it used to sound like the tranny was jumping...literally...
and you know how a manual feels when it is getting ready to stall? well I'm getting that feeling somewhat when I apply the brake and the car is almost stopped....

ohhh and final total for the cost was $907.35 wrote off $1800 @ dealership

they replaced the tranny, fluid, replaced a motor mount, and for some odd reason an axle (they said it was rusted or corroded like it had been driven up north or seomthing w/e).....
Old 11-09-2005
Premium Member

So you paid a little more than what the tranny ACTUALLY costs the dealer. They still made money.
Old 11-09-2005

well with tax yes....but the thing is I also got a new 1/2 axle (free) and a motor mount(free) the tranny itself was going to cost I think At cost $850 (howard Engineering rebuild) 3300 for a honda rebuild and 38 for a new honda if I remember correctly but it doesn't matter to me now....I just have to get over the migrane from all the stress...they tried to call me back after American honda said I was going to only pay the 850, Classic tried to say that since I didn't tell them I was talking to American Honda that America Honda thought I was getting the honda tranny, that I was going to have to pay 3800....I was like Hell no. If there was no communication how come they (both american honda and classic) kept telling me they were talking to each other trying to sort everything out...w/o a doubt bother parites kew whatb was going on...nonetheless Classic siad they'd eat the cost since amhonda pulled out suposedly....I don't care I got my cilvia back and she is running fine for right now....
Old 11-09-2005
Premium Member

wow nice deal. don't forget the tranny cooler now