Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!

Fuking Crap, I need a new Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Fuking Crap, I need a new Oil Pan

So I was outside changing my oil today and I got my old bolt off and drained the oil, then when I went to put the new bolt and washer on, come to my suprise that the damn threads inside the oil pan were fuked up. The bolt would just keep turning. So now my happy *** needs a new oil pan. I would change it myself, but I dont have much clearance under my car, and I would have no time to do it. I pushed it up to the local auto shop and hopefully they will take care of it.

My only concern is the cost and if the exhaust has to be tooken out to get the pan out. It looked like it did, or just unbolted in a certain section. Oh well, another thing needing to be replaced.
Old 10-03-2004
VTEC MASTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redvtec04 should not be trustedredvtec04 should not be trusted
Dude !!! just get the drainplug that has self tapping threads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2004
MmmMMm.. I smell boost!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

joski will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by redvtec04
Dude !!! just get the drainplug that has self tapping threads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm with him.. Try that before you jump to conclusions and buy a new pan, bro!
Old 10-03-2004
VTEC MASTER

redvtec04 should not be trustedredvtec04 should not be trusted
http://doityourself.com/store/6274450.htm
Old 10-03-2004
Registered!!

kikoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
dude...there is a heli-coil kit that you can buy from any parts stores and just buy the next lower/smaller or higher/bigger drain plug......no need for a new pan...i know i did it to my car once
Old 10-03-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
whoa!!

haha
nice info!
Old 10-03-2004
Registered!!

bobbio is an unknown quantity at this point
The exact same thing happened to me when I changed the oil on my car about three months ago. I went to Honda to get a new washer and bolt and they gave me one that was longer than what came on the car. So maybe it's a common problem.
Old 10-03-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
so basically all I need to do is go to an auto parts store and get a bolt a size higher? And re thread it?
Old 10-08-2004
Registered!!

so now that I have a bigger bolt, 19mm I think, what would I do if this ever happens again? Go to another bigger size, or what?
Old 10-12-2004
Registered!!

HappyGilmore is an unknown quantity at this point
I use the QuickDrain. It's so easy to change my oil now. Just hand screw on the end of the drain and watch the oil **** out from the tube. No more screwing around with the drain bolt.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/55998/

Try it, I bought it at PepBoys for $9.99
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

Ok, I am thinking about trying something here, what do you suggest everyone? I threaded the new oil drain bolt in and changed my oil, but today when we were doing PM's at school I had my car on the lift, and when I looked at my oil pan and drain bolt, there was a bit of oil on the underside of the pan running to the bolt. I wipped it off, but when I looked at it again tonight, there was more there? What can I do to seal this up without having to buy another oil pan? I have a feeling the new bigger bolt that went in, the pan is stripped again?

I am thinking about the quick drain, but I have that bigger bolt it, so do I just need to get a bigger size quick drain bolt?
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

jameStype is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Originally Posted by streetglower
So I was outside changing my oil today and I got my old bolt off and drained the oil, then when I went to put the new bolt and washer on, come to my suprise that the damn threads inside the oil pan were fuked up. The bolt would just keep turning. So now my happy *** needs a new oil pan. I would change it myself, but I dont have much clearance under my car, and I would have no time to do it. I pushed it up to the local auto shop and hopefully they will take care of it.

My only concern is the cost and if the exhaust has to be tooken out to get the pan out. It looked like it did, or just unbolted in a certain section. Oh well, another thing needing to be replaced.
was this your cars first oil change? (brand new ride)? my dealer told me that i would need my first oil change done at the dealership before i could do it on my own. i'm curious if its due to this threading issue??

you guys know anything about this? i have a 2004 ex coupe that still has some miles left before its first oil change.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jameStype
was this your cars first oil change? (brand new ride)? my dealer told me that i would need my first oil change done at the dealership before i could do it on my own. i'm curious if its due to this threading issue??

you guys know anything about this? i have a 2004 ex coupe that still has some miles left before its first oil change.
No this was not my first oil change, it was like my 25-30 oil change. I have 75k on the car.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

Oishi is an unknown quantity at this point
toughie...you can try a hellicoil or a rivnut but i don't think it is meant for liquids...i think they're mainly used for stripped "dry" threads...
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

hobbes1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jameStype

Nah. The dealer is just trying to get money out of you. I changed the oil myself the first time and every time after that. I never had any problems with the threading.
Old 10-15-2004
Registered!!

jameStype is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hobbes1985
Nah. The dealer is just trying to get money out of you. I changed the oil myself the first time and every time after that. I never had any problems with the threading.
thanks for the info hobbes. i'll do my own oil change. just need to buy some washers and i'm set.