Member's Rides Show off your rides progression thru mods or post up your detail job and that new mod. Your goal: make everyone jealous!
View Poll Results: Which satellite service do you have/want?
Sirius
29.17%
XM
39.29%
Neither, AM/FM works for me
31.55%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004
Boosted Auto Sedan Project In Progress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02sleeper is an unknown quantity at this point
the idea of xm and sirus is cool but why pay to listen to music listen to cd's no comercials there and the radio is FREE.
Old 08-06-2004
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

NoLeadEmSoMuch will become famous soon enoughNoLeadEmSoMuch will become famous soon enough
I might be forced to reverse myself now that Opie and Anthony have signed with XM....damn
Old 08-06-2004
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm just going to wait for the new HD Radio to come out...It's supposed to have cd quality and a lot of channels to listen to
Old 08-17-2004
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Hey guys, I just came back from vacation. All through the dessert, and the mountains.... XM never missed a beat. THAT'S what Sat radio is great for. Traveling.

HD radio can't do that, nor anything else. And I am sick of listening to all my CD's OVER and OVER and OVER......

Well, to each their own.
Old 08-17-2004
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Why couldn't HD radio not have as good reception as Sat. radio??? Am I missing something??? From what I have heard, HD is "supposed" to have a lot better reception and quality...How can Sat. radio be better?
Old 08-17-2004
Registered!!

518 is on a distinguished road
I replaced my HU with an aftermarket one and the AM reception got worse. Its worse to the point where you can barely hear anything. I was about to subscribe to XM but I'm glad I read this thread.

Im going to get me a portable AM/FM that I can listen to AM stations
Old 08-26-2004
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
Am owends
Old 08-26-2004
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Originally Posted by cwick187
Why couldn't HD radio not have as good reception as Sat. radio??? Am I missing something??? From what I have heard, HD is "supposed" to have a lot better reception and quality...How can Sat. radio be better?
HD Radio is local. That's fine if you never leave the city. If you travel, though, It'll cut out just like regular FM. Actually worse, since it's digital. The Digital HD radio will stutter like cell phones if you are not getting good signal. Everything has pros and cons.

Sat radio like XM and Sirius is probably best if you travel. Personally, I really don't mind $9 a month for it. I eat much more than that in pizza every month.

For that matter, how many people here have cable or satellite TV?? Regular TV is free after all........ It sucks, but it's free.
So why DO so many of us pay at least $29 a month for TV?

You could all just play your old VHS tapes and DVD's. Wait.... DVD's cost money too.....

Lets face it, free TV and Radio is really starting to blow big time. They know this. I think that it is meant to move everyone to subscription based programming in the first place. I don't like it, but there is BIG, BIG business behind the scenes manipulating the consumer every day.

Oh, another thing..... a lot of you are just starting out in life. A few bucks here and there mean more. Once you get into a comfortable income bracket, all this is unimportant. It just becomes part of living with a little more comfort. I have my cars detailed every other monday. It IS a luxury for me, but I can afford it since my cars are paid off. I don't have time, or don't feel like doing it myself anymore. When you reach 40, you'll understand.

Same with Dish TV, and XM radio. I like the little bit of luxury in my life, and I like the "No hassle" to listening to Music. I don't have to run out to find CD's anymore, or put together burned sets. XM is just great for me. I turn on my car, and there it is. It serves whatever mood I'm in at the time, and I find stuff to listen to that I would never have bought. And NO COMMERCIALS.
MY CD collection cannot come close to XM, ever. I know every song on every CD by heart. I just got bored of the predictability of what I listen to. XM always surprises me. That's what I really like about it. If I trip on something new that really hits me, I go get the CD anyway. I still have my changer in the trunk.

Before anyone puts down XM or Sirius, at least listen to it for a while. It's no obligation. You can cancel anytime. And if you do so in 30 days, you can always return the radio. If you want ultra high fidelity, this is not for you. But then you should be owning McIntosh tube monoblocks for audio amps.

A lot of things on this board get ragged on by people. Huge wings are Rice, etc. Well, when I was 17, I would have done the huge wing thing. That was my taste back then. Now..... It's the clean look. Life changes. You change, and things you would NEVER have or do at the time will change too.
Some things never change. I still love to drive, and drive fast. Yeah, so I drive a civic now. That's by choice. It's great in LA. But I made it handle like Boilermaker and others here. I LOVE slinging the civic around twisting, winding roads in the mountains. It's an absolute JOY! And XM is with me, of course.

It would be fun to meet everyone here again in 10 years from now just to see how we all changed and what's important to us then. Who knows, this board may be "Vintange 7th Gen Civic" then, and we'll all talk about that Vic we had back then. And someone will probably have one in their garage under a cover as their "toy" car.

Then we'll all talk about the good old days. Of course, "I" do this already. LOL.
Old 08-27-2004
I hate people.

Milamber will become famous soon enough
I just own a ton of CDs...

But was thinking about getting some type of sat radio
Old 08-28-2004
Premium Member

CivicHX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
just to let you guys know... as far as reception goes, sirus should have better reception because they have 3 satellites which are above the US... this means the signal will be 60-90 degrees (should be good in the mountains)... XM only has 1 satellite which is somewhere over the equator and the signal is 45 degrees...

and if your worried about sound quality, you can wire the sat. receiver directly to your headunit through RCA input instead of using an FM modulator or cassete adapter for better sound quality...

i love satellite radio... don't have it yet but i want it, i jus don't wanna pay the fee... if i do get it, i'd go with sirus
Old 08-28-2004
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
WHY PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT IS FREEEE!

CDs are my friends, and then regular AM FM
Old 08-29-2004
Premium Member

Originally Posted by CivicHX01
just to let you guys know... as far as reception goes, sirus should have better reception because they have 3 satellites which are above the US... this means the signal will be 60-90 degrees (should be good in the mountains)... XM only has 1 satellite which is somewhere over the equator and the signal is 45 degrees...

and if your worried about sound quality, you can wire the sat. receiver directly to your headunit through RCA input instead of using an FM modulator or cassete adapter for better sound quality...

i love satellite radio... don't have it yet but i want it, i jus don't wanna pay the fee... if i do get it, i'd go with sirus
XM has 2 geostationary satellites, Aptly named ROCK and ROLL.
Sirius has 3, as you said, running a figure 8 over the US.

Even Sirius can have outages if the Sat happens to move behind an obstacle for you at the right time. Say a mountain.

Both are good, but like anything, neither are perfect. It's a toss-up at this point. Both cost the same. Sirius has more sports, though.
Old 12-18-2004
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
By working with Best Buy, I got the new XM2Go box (valued at $350) for free! It cost me 30 bucks to get it, with 3 months service. Not a bad deal to me. It stores 5 hours of Sat audio on it, it fits in your pocket, comes with rechargeable battery, car kit (with 3 diff brackets), home kit, antenna, and remote!

For free, who could pass it up?
Old 12-18-2004
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
wanna get me one for free? lol

Am/fm user right here. Don't feel the need to get satellite radio. I have enough troubles as it is with satellite internet.
Old 12-18-2004
People Eating Tasty Animals PETA

Gangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to all
I want to get satelite radio but right now the money isn't there. I'm so sick of hearing commercial after commercial. It is getting worse and we just lost rock 101 in houston which only leaves one other "alternative rock" which blows since they replaced the whole crew that worked there before. after I get settled in and get these credit cards paid and some rims I'll be getting satelite for sure. screw am/fm radio and there advertising. Oh and at my apartments they never shut off the cable from the prior person living there so I got it free... he he and if they shut it off I'm just calling one of the many peeps I know that work there! =)
Old 12-18-2004
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Free...
Old 12-26-2004
Cocky guys kick ass!

Cocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura about
neither, i'm putting a carputer in my car. fm, mp3, dvd, mpgs, avi, mov, etc.
Old 12-28-2004
The Legend

blackbullet will become famous soon enoughblackbullet will become famous soon enough
I got my Sirius for Christmas, and can't wait to install it into my car. But it's going in my daily driver, so I have to get that first. lol
Old 03-19-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I could not stand the commercials ANYMORE. I have had XM for about 6 months and I will never go back to FM (besides that the built in the glass antennas in the Civics are not the greatest for FM) CD's are great but I know them all.

Kind of bites they raised the price for XM, but it is still a bargain.
Old 03-19-2005
Registered!!

greggdogg is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by satinsilvervic
I got sirius because of my radio and i love it. Radio stations in central new york suck.
Amen to that. Sirius all the way.
Old 03-19-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Sirius > Xm but i dont listen to ANY radio...If im bored ill watch a movie, play Xbox, or put in one of my like 20 MP3 cds with like every song I like across all of them.
Old 03-19-2005
You boost, I-VTEC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
I have XM for 1 reason, opie and anthony. I hate listening to the radio, satalite or am/fm. I wanna listen to what i wanna listen to, not what the sation/dj wants to play. The only music station on xm i can tolerate is 46 which is 60's/70's rock, and i can't even listen for that long because they never really play what you want to hear. I do though find myself listening to 14 which is bluegrass, i love listening to that crap
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

03civsilv30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Personnally i think its like cable tv, once you tried it you cant go back. I mean there are no commercials on XM channels, of course there are some when you listen to CNBC, FOX or ESPN radio b/c they play commercials not XM. Its good coast to coast on those long drives, so no searching the dial for a good station. Whatever your in the mood to listen to they got, if you cant find something you like than you probably arent a real fan of music anyway. They got top 20 songs on 20 just like all the played out local radio stations play anyway but without the babbling. They got 40's on 4, 50's on 5, 60's on 6, etc... Oldies, Blues, Jazz, Latin, World, Classical, Christian, Rock n Roll, Unsigned, Country, HIP HOP/ Rap (with or without cursing) plus all the sports, they got ACC, PAC10, BIG Ten, MLB, Nascar, Indy Car, PGA golf , Comedy Channels (with or without cursing) and Opie & Anthony which is the same as Howard Stern's show except something new. Last but not least they got Traffic radio which is in 21 Major Metropolitan Cities and growing, which personally helps me know which is my shortest drive home from work b/c of rush hour or accidents which in turn helps me save on gas and not to mention that whole headache.

XM NOW HAS 3 (Geosynchronous) SATELLITES UP !!!

XM-1 Roll
XM-2 Rock
XM-3 Rhythem (2/28/05)

Bottom line, you cant really speak on it until you've had one... I think everyone should try it and then come to an opinion on it and I'm betting in the end you like it.
Old 03-20-2005

NoLeadEmSoMuch will become famous soon enoughNoLeadEmSoMuch will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 03civsilv30
They got Opie & Anthony which is the same as Howard Stern's show except something new.
Um, no...O&A are nothing like Howard...Howard is a sellout, O&A actually try every day.
Old 03-21-2005
Registered!!

Your right they do actually try and Yes Howard is a sellout, I totally agree with you... I just meant O&A as the same typle of format of a show as howards so people who have never heard of them get an idea what THE VIRUS IS!!!!!!! LOL
Old 03-21-2005
Registered!!

Oh yea i forgot to add that on APRIL 2nd O&A will be FREE, No longer a premium channel it will now be included with the basic XM subscription
Old 03-21-2005

Originally Posted by 03civsilv30
Oh yea i forgot to add that on APRIL 2nd O&A will be FREE, No longer a premium channel it will now be included with the basic XM subscription
Feel free to join the 7thGen O&A Army - refer to my sig...I believe you'd be #4.
Old 04-02-2005
You boost, I-VTEC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the roughHawk is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by NoLeadEmSoMuch
Feel free to join the 7thGen O&A Army - refer to my sig...I believe you'd be #4.
he'd be 5 we already have a 4.
Old 04-02-2005

^^ I stand corrected, forgot about Jollysid. So far it's me at 1, you and silver04 are 2 and 3 but I forget which is which, and Jolly makes 4.
Old 04-03-2005
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah my buddy has it and its ok but I can't see paying that much for something I simply want to listen during my hr commute 5 days a week. I hate paying my $45 a mth cell bill as it is. Rather burn what I want on cd's and listen to them there its still cheaper.

Quick Reply: POLL: Satellite radio