Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Member's Rides (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides)
-   -   POLL: Satellite radio (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/46-members-rides/166157-poll-satellite-radio.html)

NoLeadEmSoMuch 07-29-2004 10:22 PM

POLL: Satellite radio

Which service A) do you have? B) do you want? C) Why? and D) are you planning on getting, and refer to C) again. Rant on likes and dislikes.

DrivenConcepts 07-29-2004 10:24 PM

i have sirius radio now and its awesome wouldnt get xm cause theyre arent as many streams sux cause i have to pay 15 a month for it thats about it

glovas 07-29-2004 10:25 PM

Why pay $10 to listen to the radio. Mine is free so what if theres commercals.

gearbox 07-29-2004 10:30 PM

Both are garbage. I had XM, the receiver broke 2 weeks later, and that's the end. The sound quality is horrible and worse than FM. I'm sticking with CDs right now. Maybe if you have blown stock speakers, it won't sound any different to you. The music is compressed with AAC codec, which is like a 56kbps mp3. Not only does the sound suck, but there was maybe 3-5 stations that were worth listening to. It looks good on paper, but you'll be disappointed when you actually get it.

streetglower 07-29-2004 10:40 PM

why pay $10-$20 a month for radio service when you arent in your car 24 hours a day. It isnt worth it. Just listen to AM/FM.

DrivenConcepts 07-29-2004 10:41 PM

hey i love mine, everyone that works with me has one and they all love theirs. i dont know what happened to yours but sounds like you got the defect. the one i have transmit the sigal through the radio but if you had audio input in your cd player you can go that route. in fact thats wat my cousin did and it sounds just as good as a cd. maybe cause we're in fl and anything satillite is good here???

DrivenConcepts 07-29-2004 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by streetglower
why pay $10-$20 a month for radio service when you arent in your car 24 hours a day. It isnt worth it. Just listen to AM/FM.

actually you can get the home docking station for like 40 bucks and listen to it 24/7. on top of that you get a password through the company and can listen to it online

DrivenConcepts 07-29-2004 10:48 PM

you guys say its not worth it but i use it and when i let my friend use it i couldnt stand to be without it.

imagine listening to a cd, well the track repeats itself and you have to find another cd to replace it,

or listening to a radio, you grooving along when all of a sudden the thump quits cause some girl wants to ask if you're scurred or cumfuused, you want to change the station but by now all the good stations are on commercials

now imagine satellite radio, no commercials so your banging your sound 24/7, repeated tracks are no more because you have over 4 different streams for each topic ranging from rap to r&b, rock to pop, theres even streams for sports and entertainment.... tired of music hell listen to the comedy station and just have fun

damn ima good salesman

gearbox 07-29-2004 11:23 PM

What about burning an MP3 cd and listening to it for 6+hrs with only your favorite songs on it?

masarak 07-29-2004 11:24 PM

I listen to MP3s in the Civic, but I have several friends that have XM. All of them say that it's soooo great and soooo addictive they can't live without it. But then, they spend all of their free time searching for novelty in a vain attempt to stave off the realization that life is a vacuous pit of unending despair. :p

<soapbox> IMO: People should just listen to an NPR station if there's one around so they know what the heck's going on in the world outside their little rolling metal cocoons. </soapbox>

tinman 07-30-2004 10:07 AM

I have XM, and I do love it. But FM in Los Angeles has degenerated to garbage, mostly hispanic stations that bleed over 4 others near them, and thousands of commercials.

My CD and MP3 collection?? Well, I know every song, and it has become repetitive.

XM offers me a lot of variety, with tons of music I NEVER heard before. And NO babble.

I agree that the sound quality is near MP3 at best. But that's not what I have it for.
Overall, XM rocks. If you have a great FM station in YOUR town that you really like, GREAT!
Unfortunately, all the really good stations here have gone away. :(

Sat radio has it's niche, period. BTW, it's under $10 a month.
I was doubtful when I first got it, but now I wonder how I lived without it. For me, it's the sheer variety that FM here just won't offer. I am a fan of Doctor Demento, btw, and He's on XM but no longer here on FM.

The BEST part of XM is that it works coast to coast. I can get XM anywhere except in a cave.

Try it, you can always cancel, no questions asked.

Ledbelly 07-30-2004 10:27 AM

i dont listen to either .. if there is any kind of radio im willing to listen to its internet . most of the music thats out today and that get play on the radio turns my stomach... underground music is where its at

SQCivic 07-30-2004 10:32 AM

I love XM...wouldn't want to take a trip without it. Listen to any type of music you want...switch to several news channels to catch up on current events....switch to comedy and listen to stand up comedians (which is great on long trips)...the sound is excellent when you straight wire. I also have the Roady 2 which can go from car to car, inside the house, and soon in a walkman setup. Good stuff as far as I'm concerned. :tup: :D

hed 07-30-2004 11:12 AM

By buddy has xm.. and now i want it. I dont have a huge Cd collection, and radio here really blows. Xm has alot of cool stations that i look forward to listening to.

DoctaChill 07-30-2004 11:40 AM

It's great. I have XM and wouldnt want to live without it. There are really no decent stations around here. All you hear is the same music over and over on every FM station. Most all radio stations in the country are owned by Clear Channel, which gets paid by labels to play their artists' music. With XM, no one is paid off so no one gets more air time than anyone else At least with XM you get some variety and can hear more "underground" music that you would not otherwise hear. I'd highly recommend it to anyone thinking aobut making the switch. Just my thoughts..

JX6 07-30-2004 11:48 AM

Forget satellite radio.
Get a good MP3 CD Player for your car.
335 songs on one CD and it's commercial free! :tup:

supernootz 07-30-2004 12:42 PM

AM/FM baby...

maxxam25 07-30-2004 02:04 PM

sirius for me, sometimes it's nice to listen with no commercials...

DrivenConcepts 07-30-2004 10:18 PM

about an mp3 player in your car???? why not get a keg and get thousands of songs in your car. why would you want to get an mp3 player when you have to download and burn all those songs just to listen to it a few times and burn another. i have an mp3 player as well. when i got it new i used it all the time, now its just a waste of time and cds. 335+ songs are alot to search through considering you have to drive as well.

DrivenConcepts 07-30-2004 10:18 PM

sorry posted twice

satinsilvervic 07-30-2004 10:29 PM

I got sirius because of my radio and i love it. Radio stations in central new york suck.

rasper 07-30-2004 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ledbelly
i dont listen to either .. if there is any kind of radio im willing to listen to its internet . most of the music thats out today and that get play on the radio turns my stomach... underground music is where its at

Thank you. "Turn off the muthafunkin radio." :tup:
Listener supported KLON 88.1 FM is about all I listen to on the radio. Everything else is uninspiring crap.

zachgeyer 07-30-2004 11:21 PM

Sirius is nice

HondaSales 07-31-2004 08:19 AM

i haven't listened to the radio since i got xm. i can't imagine driving without it now.

JX6 07-31-2004 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by hondasux
about an mp3 player in your car???? why not get a keg and get thousands of songs in your car. why would you want to get an mp3 player when you have to download and burn all those songs just to listen to it a few times and burn another. i have an mp3 player as well. when i got it new i used it all the time, now its just a waste of time and cds. 335+ songs are alot to search through considering you have to drive as well.

If you aren't too lazy to do it, why the F*ck not?
It isn't hard and a backed all the cds I ever made up.
Changed the bit rate and put them in data format on a disk.
It isn't hard but it's not for lazy people. It's not hard to search through my stuff because I know what kind of mood i'm in before I drive so i pick my music accordingly. BTW you can put the music in folders so you can choose what folder you want to listen to.I listen to ONLY what I want to WHEN I want to.I can't afford a keg,I'm a student.Get a full understanding of whats going on before you bash it.

:sweet:

DrivenConcepts 07-31-2004 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by JX6
If you aren't too lazy to do it, why the F*ck not?
It isn't hard and a backed all the cds I ever made up.
Changed the bit rate and put them in data format on a disk.
It isn't hard but it's not for lazy people. It's not hard to search through my stuff because I know what kind of mood i'm in before I drive so i pick my music accordingly. BTW you can put the music in folders so you can choose what folder you want to listen to.I listen to ONLY what I want to WHEN I want to.I can't afford a keg,I'm a student.Get a full understanding of whats going on before you bash it.

:sweet:

wtf do you mean by bashing??? i had an mp3 player i never bashed it, in fact i think it was a very good invention. i just dont think its as good as sirius. so what if you can put it into folders, thats just like having more than one cd in at a time. like i said mp3 is good but what about getting all the new songs before they come out onto the radio??? i know for a fact that songs come onto the sirius before it even goes on the net for download

NoLeadEmSoMuch 07-31-2004 09:30 PM

I might as well answer my own question....just realized that I didn't....I'm a Sirius guy, or at least I will be after I get the deck for it. I looked at the stream lineups and liked Sirius better. Plus Sirius has a hockey talk show during the season...I listened to it no nhl.com last year and got hooked.

gearbox 07-31-2004 10:43 PM

When I was looking to get satellite, I thought I would never listen to a cd again. Boy was I wrong. Nothing beats the quality and content of a good cd. :)

DogstyleEX 08-01-2004 12:02 AM

i say sirius, only because i work for them... hehe

DrivenConcepts 08-01-2004 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by NoLeadEmSoMuch
I might as well answer my own question....just realized that I didn't....I'm a Sirius guy, or at least I will be after I get the deck for it. I looked at the stream lineups and liked Sirius better. Plus Sirius has a hockey talk show during the season...I listened to it no nhl.com last year and got hooked.

yup when the lightning played their last game me and my friends were at chiles and when they closed we had to leave. thank god for sirius cause we had a lil party outside