Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Corroding Suspension Parts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Corroding Suspension Parts...

Anyone else noticing their brand new shiny suspension parts corroding away and becoming "yucky"? I hate it! My Progress sway bars and the rear tie bar looks like crap now. I live in Massachusetts, so there's lots of salt and what not that contributes to this corrosion. I'm thinking of taking off my sway bars and re-painting them. I have a sand blaster that I can use to take off the old paint and rust too. It's just sad that things eventually go to waste.

Well, that is unless you do something like put Rhino-lining on the underside of your car. Some car-nuts do that. Put rubberized undercoating almost everywhere else where moisture might accumulate. Then clearcoat the crap out of all of the painted surfaces exposed to more moisture than usual. Maybe then you could prevent this sort of thing from happening? Maybe. The only thing that's safe is aluminum. Then again, it gets nasty-lookin' from the stuff that corrodes next to it. hehe...

Any thoughts on this subject?
Old 01-03-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
you can always rubberize like those other dudes i would just take the sway bar, sand blast it, paint it with strong high temp bbq paint (doesnt get chipped off easily and rustoleum works best) and get some of that handy ol rustoleum clearcoat and put on a **** load of coats...luckily here in so cal we dont have to deal with that...we only get rain occasionally in the winter...maybe once or twice a year...4-5 days total of rain a year haha
Old 01-03-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I stopped caring. I just make sure things like threads and fittings don't gum up to the point of being unuseable.
Anything that flexes will need to be coated with flexible epoxy, paint will just crack.
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

Kairi is an unknown quantity at this point
I've personally been using anti-sieze on everything that has threading ever since my very first brake pad replacement way back when. Only, curiously enough, thing is that anti-sieze will cause certain parts (*ahem, tokico blues*) to corrode/lose-paint almost immediately... Gotta becareful of what exactly you put where. That rubberizing **** is cool... if you're coating something stationary that'll never move, using galvanizing sprays will help against rust. Moveable parts should use the flexible epoxies as boilermaker says.