Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Help me figure out this noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amplify is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help me figure out this noise!!!

I've looked around on the forum and don't think I've came across another post about the same noise. Hopefully this won't be a repost.

Background info: My car is lowered on springs, shocks, and all-around camber kits.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a "creaking" noise coming from my front passenger side wheel every time I pull into my driveway or back out of my driveway. It only happens when my steering wheel is turned and I'm going over that raised part of the road that separates my driveway from my street. The noise doesn't happen when I'm just making regular turns on leveled streets. It also doesn't happen if I'm backing out of my garage with the steering wheel straight. I have no idea what the noise is. I'm hoping one of you experts out there can help me figure it out.

Here's some more background info... back when I had my camber kits installed and went to NTB to get an alignment, the mechanic didn't know that the suspension on the 7th gen had changed and was under the impression that I had the wrong front camber kits. I had to try and tell him 7th gens were running McPherson up front now, before he finally admitted that he's never done an alignment on a new Civic before. Then something happened to one of the camber bolts on my front passenger side (the same side I'm hearing a noise from now) and the mechanic ended up taking one of my camber bolts out and replacing it with one of theirs. I'm not exactly clear what he did, but that's from my understanding. Took the car home, drove it around for a week, and felt the alignment was still off. Ended up taking it to another NTB to get them to check it out under warranty. Turns out the first guy didn't do much at all since my alignment was still plenty jacked up. Finally got it fixed at the second NTB and everything was fine. Now there's a creaking noise coming from the front passenger wheel. I don't know if it has anything to do with the replaced bolt the first guy put in, since it's from the exact same wheel. *shrugs*

The car still drives straight though. I wanna go get the noise checked out, but I have no idea what's causing it or what to tell a mechanic to search for. Anybody got an idea? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2003
Registered!!

opto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura aboutopto_isolator has a spectacular aura about
I have a similar problem. Except I have a neuspeed x-brace installed. The creaking I hear comes from the passenger side, underneath - I belive from the subframe. It started to happen after I installed the x-brace. I've tried taking it off (which seems to work), but when I put it back on it doesn't go away.....

No clue.....
Old 06-24-2003
Since 1977

HYPR DRV will become famous soon enough
Re: Help me figure out this noise!!!

Originally posted by Amplify
I've looked around on the forum and don't think I've came across another post about the same noise. Hopefully this won't be a repost.
Even though your situation has a couple of unique variables, I'm thinking the creaking noise is PROBABLY still related to the dead coils rubbing. But the best way to find out is to have it looked at. Take it back to the shop that did your springs and ask them. Or if you went with the DIY, then follow the procedures explained in similar posts regarding this noise. There are a ton!! But don't sweat...It's an easy fix and definitely something you can DIY. Search for "Creaking Noise" or "Popping Noise".