Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Lowering Spring Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mintei is an unknown quantity at this point
Lowering Spring Fitment

I searched google but couldn't find the answer I was looking for,
I have 185/65R15 tires, I was just wondering if anybody has had the same tire size and put lowering springs on, to me it looks as if there would be a fitment issue (It looks as though it will hit the bottom of the spring) but just wondering if anyone knows if there actually is one, before I buy a set of springs.
Old 06-09-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,197 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Lowering Spring Fitment

Look my signature link
Old 06-09-2018
Registered!!

I read through that already but didn't find anything, if you could specify exactly where to read that would help!
Old 06-09-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

When I had my 2002, and when I had OEM 185/65-15's, I was lowered about 1.5" with zero issues. That setup was Tokico HP struts (a.k.a. Tokico Blues) with Tein S-tech springs (drop was 1.3"/1.4" F/R).

I upgraded to lightweight 17x7 et42 (OEM wheel spec is 15x6 et45) wrapped in 215/45-17s (tire was wider by 1.18" and overall diameter larger by 0.156"), and the car was lowered by about 2.5-3", and I still had no rubbing issues. That setup was a full Tein SS-P coilover setup, with the adjustment nuts set to about .75-1" above the bottom adjustment.

Lower away. Camber kit will save you from buying tires every 15k miles. As long as you get a spring set actually designed for the car and installed properly, it shouldn't hit anything. If you go anything more than the Tein H-techs (.7"/.8" drop), I'd highly recommend getting aftermarket struts so they last longer. My S-techs lasted a good while (30k miles) on stock struts, but the Tokico blues made the ride quality sooooo much better. That, and the blues are meant to deal with a modest drop like that.

edit: lol. my tl;dr is longer than my initial post
Old 06-09-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

people put up to 215 without issues.
225 have issues on the rear, and nothing related to rubbing in the springs? it rubs on the fenders.

what exactly makes you think it would rub into anything with small drops? the seat of the bottom of the spring moves with the tire when suspension compresses...
my car picture is using 205/55R16 with the eibach pro...
Old 06-09-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

but it's rainbow colored sandro. That kinda makes it hard to concentrate on anything but the color of it.
Old 06-09-2018
Registered!!

Okay, thanks Riceboy!
Old 06-10-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

LOL, josh!