Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Koni yellow and ground control setup help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slo_es2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Koni yellow and ground control setup help

I was reading the stickies on koni yellow struts and how the front needs to be modified. I was confused by that and don't know how it needs to be modified, does anybody have any insight on that?
But anyway, I'm looking to invest in a koni yellow and ground control setup and was wondering what spring rate should I go with, and where should I buy from? Also other than front and rear camber adjustment kits, is there anything else I will need to do when dropping the car fairly low?
Old 03-25-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Koni yellow and ground control setup help

You mean this?

"1) Koni yellows - The front struts need to be modified for them to fit. There are a few different sizes (50mm or 55mm). These are probably your best bet for autocrossing or road racing if you don't have full coils.

You've got 2 sizes for koni yellows. 50mm and 55 mm. There is no way of determining which you need by year. You MUST measure the housings of the struts in your car and buy the right ones. Honda mixed them in randomly and there is no other way to tell which ones you need. "

it means the diameter of the shock itself

01-02 are 50, 03+ are 55mm. I am not sure, but I think they all fit without problems in relation to shock bodies?

the crash bolts, which connect to the knuckle are different also, 01-02 are 14mm, 03+ are 16mm - this you need to have the right ones. Or drill the knuckles bigger or use reducing washers in case you order the bigger ones and your car is the smaller ones.

Also, don't buy the inserts by mistake, Koni sells inserts, which you will need to cut out the housing and insert the new ones in.
Old 03-25-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

after job is done, what usually starts making noise are top mounts and anti roll bar endlinks.

change them at same time.
Old 03-25-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
You mean this?

"1) Koni yellows - The front struts need to be modified for them to fit. There are a few different sizes (50mm or 55mm). These are probably your best bet for autocrossing or road racing if you don't have full coils.

You've got 2 sizes for koni yellows. 50mm and 55 mm. There is no way of determining which you need by year. You MUST measure the housings of the struts in your car and buy the right ones. Honda mixed them in randomly and there is no other way to tell which ones you need. "

it means the diameter of the shock itself

01-02 are 50, 03+ are 55mm. I am not sure, but I think they all fit without problems in relation to shock bodies?

the crash bolts, which connect to the knuckle are different also, 01-02 are 14mm, 03+ are 16mm - this you need to have the right ones. Or drill the knuckles bigger or use reducing washers in case you order the bigger ones and your car is the smaller ones.

Also, don't buy the inserts by mistake, Koni sells inserts, which you will need to cut out the housing and insert the new ones in.
So wait, I thought that's all they had were inserts for the car, at least that's all I could find on their site, that I would have to cut open my OEM struts and insert the koni shock in for the front. If there is one where I don't have to do that I would greatly appreciate the part number for that. Also, thanks for the other info.
Old 03-25-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Woops, so if all you can find is inserts, yeah, they only have inserts. My bad.
The shock body shell determine the inserts you will need.
Old 03-25-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Woops, so if all you can find is inserts, yeah, they only have inserts. My bad.
The shock body shell determine the inserts you will need.
I I got you, is there any way to determine the strut insert size without taking it apart? I have the OEM part number for it but I'm not sure if you can tell by that
Old 03-25-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

50 or 55mm is the outside diameter, just put a caliper in there