Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Future Rear Suspension Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Future Rear Suspension Swap

drooooooool........fkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk so bad asssssss brakes

how much did ur front ww bbk cost you?
Old 11-17-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I got a good deal on all four because they just came out with the rears for Civics. I was one of the, if not the first, to get the rears. Came out to $1400 shipped. Nowadays, I see the fronts go for $800-$900. Rears are $950, because of the parking brakes. One of these days it'll be Project Mu or Brembo GTs in the front. That's $2500, just for the fronts! Crazy.
Old 11-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Did you use subframe braces with all those bars?

I have a theory that subframe braces are completely unnecessary on our cars, except a solid 32mm, then it would definitely necessary haha
strangely enough, mine already had a bracing at the subframe, looking like stock (?).
I feel the rear close to lifting (i do believe rears do lift, since when doing the left-ffot braking, the ABS came on during some corners), i would not risk not running the bracings.
Old 11-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by maxtierney
Yeah, I had the used the brace for all of 'em. I've had the Neuspeed setup for years, maybe 8 or 10 months after I got my car. I think you're right aboiut the brace. If anything, the sway would break the mounting bolts or the rip the threads off the subframe. I got the Cusco and Hotchkis bars used. I wanted to powdercoat 'em, cause it drove me nuts to have them in less than pristine condition. I ended up selling 'em for profit. Haha. I was holding out for the ASR.
Originally Posted by sdaidoji
strangely enough, mine already had a bracing at the subframe, looking like stock (?).
I feel the rear close to lifting (i do believe rears do lift, since when doing the left-ffot braking, the ABS came on during some corners), i would not risk not running the bracings.
I've been thinking about this for quite some time, I have a 27mm hotchkis sway bar that I haven't installed, because it doesn't come with a subframe brace and I was waiting for ASR to release their brace for our cars. Our cars subframes are much shorter than the earlier gens that suffer from subframe tear out issues though, so I'm not sure if it's necessary to run one. Most companies also do not include braces with their RSX/EP3/7th gen sways with the exception of progress...

I'm 99% sure it would be totally fine without one, if I'm wrong though... well that's a big expensive mistake
Old 11-17-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I got a good deal on all four because they just came out with the rears for Civics. I was one of the, if not the first, to get the rears. Came out to $1400 shipped. Nowadays, I see the fronts go for $800-$900. Rears are $950, because of the parking brakes. One of these days it'll be Project Mu or Brembo GTs in the front. That's $2500, just for the fronts! Crazy.
Good deal!

I need to learn more about brakes, it's so difficult though, there are very few people knowledgeable about braking to learn from. Most racers say don't upgrade your brakes or it will screw up the bias and be detrimental, but big brake kits throw the bias off and that improves brake performance, and if you upgrade the rears as well it should be possible to balance the bias out.

How do you find braking with the F&R kit?
Old 11-17-2011
EM2ti

maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I've been thinking about this for quite some time, I have a 27mm hotchkis sway bar that I haven't installed, because it doesn't come with a subframe brace and I was waiting for ASR to release their brace for our cars. Our cars subframes are much shorter than the earlier gens that suffer from subframe tear out issues though, so I'm not sure if it's necessary to run one. Most companies also do not include braces with their RSX/EP3/7th gen sways with the exception of progress...

I'm 99% sure it would be totally fine without one, if I'm wrong though... well that's a big expensive mistake
Are you gonna pick up the ASR brace now that they're out? Only $160, but that's ASR's advertised price. I'm sure you can pick one up for cheaper.

Peace of mind - Just saying... How hard are you really gonna push it with out one?
Old 11-17-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the brake bias - not sure if there is one for our cars, though i do think they are universal, there are the proportioning valves that can be adjusted.
they need to be tested to adjust them, though.
pretty common on miatas - they have not enough rear braking pressure for the 50/50 weight distribution.
Old 11-17-2011
EM2ti

EP3s use an open 4 way joint vs front/rear proportioning valves. This allows the ABS control the bias. I'm not sure how much pulsing would be felt, but this is an alternative to an adjustable valve. I have both BTW, Wilwood and EP3. I'm satisfied with my balance, so far, never had the need to install either.
Old 11-21-2011
EM2ti

Shared my experience with ASR. Neil (Sales) said they were organizing a track event soon. They wanted to give ASR product equipped vehicles discounts at a few of the road race tracks (Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, etc) with some one-on-one driving instruction sessions. I also asked about camber plates and coilovers for our platform. Hopefully, they can expand their line-up for the DC/EP/EM/ES chassis, as well.

http://www.asrparts.com/
Old 11-21-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

noooo!
camber plates for the fronts?!? pretty please?!?
am outta the one-on-one stuff with a hairy bud, though :P
Old 11-21-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Shared my experience with ASR. Neil (Sales) said they were organizing a track event soon. They wanted to give ASR product equipped vehicles discounts at a few of the road race tracks (Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, etc) with some one-on-one driving instruction sessions. I also asked about camber plates and coilovers for our platform. Hopefully, they can expand their line-up for the DC/EP/EM/ES chassis, as well.

http://www.asrparts.com/
That's one of the nice things about living in the states, especially California, since we have different racing governing bodies and they're much smaller than the American equivalents not much attention is paid to our events by manufacturers.
Old 01-16-2012
EM2ti

Got another piece for the rear suspension. Carbing Lower Brace. No added benefit, just wanted a little eye candy. Not a big fan of Beaks - the 4 or 6 bolts holding everything together just killed it for me. A guy's gotta have a little function, not just form. I figured I could just powdercoat it to add a little something to the mix. Some before and after shots.

Old 01-17-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Love the carbing, it and spoon are my two favourites.
Old 01-17-2012
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

Pure sex
Old 01-17-2012
EM2ti

Love the carbing, it and spoon are my two favourites.
Yeah, it was the Carbing or Beatrush. Gotta good deal on the Carbing, so I couldn't pass it up. I was going to powdercoat it STI Pink or Baby Blue, just to have something different, but I changed my mind at the shop. I like the Spoon too.

Originally Posted by SlimRisk
Pure sex
Thanks. Neeed to swap cars with someone some day, just so I can drive behind my car and see it. Sorta like a lower back tattoo. You really can't appreciate unless you're the the guy in the back. Haha!

A little off topic, but...

No one else ever drives my car, except for a mechanic after an alignment or an oil change at the dealer. It's kinda weird seeing it in motion, but kinda neat at the same time. Anyone ever get to see your car driven by someone else? Do you have a similar/stupid, "That's pretty cool" reaction?
Old 01-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
conda hivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha I know what you mean. I like to see my ride from out side the shell.
Old 01-17-2012
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

one night i was with my brother in law, and it was a red light. I was looking at the headlights of the on coming traffic waiting on the opposite red, and I saw one that really stuck out to me. I was like "Damn, those are sexy headlights, I wonder what kind of car that is?" When we passed it, it was my mom driving my car :P I lol'd haha
Old 01-17-2012
Registered!!

conda hivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha that's legit.
Old 01-17-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

A little off topic, but...

No one else ever drives my car, except for a mechanic after an alignment or an oil change at the dealer. It's kinda weird seeing it in motion, but kinda neat at the same time. Anyone ever get to see your car driven by someone else? Do you have a similar/stupid, "That's pretty cool" reaction?
I fully understand that...
I keep looking outside to see how the car drives and corners when leaving the alignment shop for the test... Hate the photographers that comes to our autoX - they post the pics everywhere but on the SCCA forums... I usually take the pictures on the events that i don't go run, so i have pics of most everyone, but mine...
That's when i can trully see if the suspension is working, but i can't because i can't take pics of miself driving...
Example - just after correcting the rear camber to -0.5 and progress rear sway, but 0 camber fronts...
Name:  P1010037-1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  156.9 KB
Originally Posted by Shift-E
one night i was with my brother in law, and it was a red light. I was looking at the headlights of the on coming traffic waiting on the opposite red, and I saw one that really stuck out to me. I was like "Damn, those are sexy headlights, I wonder what kind of car that is?" When we passed it, it was my mom driving my car :P I lol'd haha
Bwaaaaaaahahahaha!
Old 01-18-2012
EM2ti

Originally Posted by conda hivic01
Haha I know what you mean. I like to see my ride from out side the shell.
Glad I'm not the only one.

Awesome, haha! I think I'd have a heart attack if I ever saw my mom driving my car. I think she'd break a hip depressing the clutch.

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
I fully understand that...
I keep looking outside to see how the car drives and corners when leaving the alignment shop for the test... Hate the photographers that comes to our autoX - they post the pics everywhere but on the SCCA forums... I usually take the pictures on the events that i don't go run, so i have pics of most everyone, but mine...
That's when i can trully see if the suspension is working, but i can't because i can't take pics of miself driving...
Example - just after correcting the rear camber to -0.5 and progress rear sway, but 0 camber fronts...

Where else would they post auto X pics? World of Warcraft Forums?
You corrected your camber to 0F and -0.5R? Was that to establish a baseline?
Bwaaaaaaahahahaha!
Old 01-18-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

in the SCCA central TN home page, actually - we keep trying to find out who was tooking the pics to see if we can get a copy... maybe they trying to upload in FB or someplace, but most does not delete the number plates before posting. hateful...
And yeah, sadly the correction was from 0/-1.5 after the pro-kit install. I did not know suspension setup so well at the time, so ran like that.
monster understeer, and i had the eibach sway setup (made worse...). huge wheel spin that killed my trans... it's rebuilt now.
after that pic, i finally found an alignment shop that knew camber bolts and finally agreed to set the fronts at a more humane -1/-0.5.
then moved to quebec and couldn't find a darned shop that would make custom alignments and i was back to 0/0, with the outer shoulder wearing down again...
now back tn, and the alignment guy is still there. hurray!
now running -1.5 / -0.5 -> heavens, finally!
I should actually had shoot for the -2/-0.5, but that is for the next round
Old 01-18-2012

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Awesome, haha! I think I'd have a heart attack if I ever saw my mom driving my car. I think she'd break a hip depressing the clutch.
Well mines an Auto, so she can drive it :P I remember i let her drive it because i just got home, and she was going out, so it was still warm. Plus i don't have any mods done except SRI, and retro's really. So i'm not handing over my first born child :P But then again, my mother is really good with kids... lol
Old 01-18-2012
EM2ti

Well mines an Auto, so she can drive it :P I remember i let her drive it because i just got home, and she was going out, so it was still warm. Plus i don't have any mods done except SRI, and retro's really. So i'm not handing over my first born child :P But then again, my mother is really good with kids... lol
Kinda reminds me of that Audi commercial, when the son comes home for Christmas and the parents take off in his car. I hope she's good with kids. Haha.
Old 01-18-2012
Registered!!

BassMasta808 is on a distinguished road

Lookin good Max. Don't hate on my Beaks bar! Haha j/k j/k.
Old 01-18-2012
EM2ti

Originally Posted by BassMasta808
Lookin good Max. Don't hate on my Beaks bar! Haha j/k j/k.
I'll try not to, but your set-up has got me second guessing my decision now. Let me know when you get tired of the BEAKS, maybe we'll trade. Haha.

Seriously, looking good Bro!
Old 01-19-2012
Registered!!

BassMasta808 is on a distinguished road

I'll try not to, but your set-up has got me second guessing my decision now. Let me know when you get tired of the BEAKS, maybe we'll trade. Haha.

Seriously, looking good Bro!
Haha for sure man. Now I gotta get my under carriage as clean as yours!
Old 01-29-2012
EM2ti

Went out for a drive after I raised the rear about 1/2". Got tired of rubbing on hard turns, even with the rolled fenders. Trying to maximize my tire wear by reducing rear camber too. I know it goes against the grain, but I'll sacrifice some height for handling performance. Suspensions need travel, contrary to popular belief. I'm also making a little room for a set of 16x8 Desmonds or 17 Work Meister Monoblocks (still deciding, hopefully by February or March) - Trying to add lightness, where i can. Cheaper tires and more MPGs are an added bonus too.

Waiting for it to settle a bit. I may need to back it down a 1/4" to even out the slight rake (although I'm starting to like the look). We'll see. Really hard to get a shot of the rear suspension on the ground, without laying down- looking like a retard. Haha. Sucks not having a driveway or a garage in San Diego.

Old 01-30-2012

No more 19's?
Old 01-30-2012
EM2ti

Haha. I'm still keeping the 19s. I wanna re-powder coat the ones I have on now. The barrels came bare from the factory (not painted). Since switching from ceramic to metallic pads, the insides of my wheels are always rust colored now. Pain in the butt to keep clean. I figured with some paint, the ferrous dust will have a harder time sticking.

I do need another set of wheels. I have a set of 19" Traklites in Gunmetal, but the tires are down to the belts. I don't feel like buying another set of tires right now. I'm thinking of powdercoating those, as well. Maybe a loud color like Mag Blue or STi Pink.
Old 02-26-2012
EM2ti

Got a better shot today.

Quick Reply: Future Rear Suspension Swap