Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Serious question regarding suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaedubb is an unknown quantity at this point
Serious question regarding suspension

ok so my stock struts blew. damn.

im leaning towards buying tokiko blue struts, but want to get another set of lowering springs also.

what lowering springs will give me the LOWEST possible drop.

i would resort to fully adjustable coilovers, but it's just a little (a lot actually) out of my budget.

so what do u guys think? WHAT LOWERING SPRINGS WILL GIVE ME THE LOWEST DROP? i pretty much want my em2 SLAMMED!
Old 10-18-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough
Re: Serious question regarding suspension

Skunk2 springs will probably get you the lowest but you are not going to be slammed. If you want to be slammed then get some coilovers.
Old 10-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

The manufacturer should give specs on how much lower you will go.
Old 10-18-2010
Registered!!

sam68 is an unknown quantity at this point

You cant be "SLAMMED" on blues 1.5" at most.
Old 10-18-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,451 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

another guy rolling the fenders out...
Old 10-19-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

sell me ur stock shocks. i jsut need the front right.
Old 10-19-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I believe H&R makes 2.5 inch drop springs for EM2s, but pairing those up with a set of tokico blue struts would be a big mistake. Blues are meant for a 1.5-1.75 inch drop at the most, so if you want to drop more than 2 inches you'll need to either purchase Koni Yellows, or a higher end Tokico strut.
Old 10-20-2010
Registered!!

MoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
sell me ur stock shocks. i jsut need the front right.
If you're looking for something similar to stock, get the KYB GR2. I just put them in my 02 ex. paid $110 per front at http://rockauto.com. They work great. Much better than stock, in my opinion.
Old 10-20-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Drop the cash for coilovers to get your car slammed. Like everyone mentioned above, max drop on blues is something like 1.5"-1.75"

Or find an airbag system for your car. That'll get your car slammed, too.
Old 10-21-2010
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Since you seem to care about drop and not improving handling buy some raceland coilovers. They will set you back the same, if not less, as just the tokico shocks.
Old 10-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
Since you seem to care about drop and not improving handling buy some raceland coilovers. They will set you back the same, if not less, as just the tokico shocks.
actually, it's a new find in the Miata world that the raceland works pretty well for performance (for the price - yes, that was a surprise, very hard to make kits that work well in miata's). Really not sure how the performance will be on the civic's, though, and an unknown factor is the longevity.
Old 10-21-2010
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
actually, it's a new find in the Miata world that the raceland works pretty well for performance (for the price - yes, that was a surprise, very hard to make kits that work well in miata's). Really not sure how the performance will be on the civic's, though, and an unknown factor is the longevity.
People on ephatch have been running them for many thousands of miles. Any of them that have had problems have gotten new coilovers from the company. The consensus is that the em2/es1 racelands are to soft for serious performance but they go incredibly low for a very low price. Since OP stated he wanted to go as low as possible this system seems to suit his needs. As you know, as low as possible does not result in the best handling possible.
Old 10-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

thanks.
I would think that the miata version have better shock valving. The more serious racers use them for the higher spring rates and the matched shock, but they don't slam the car, just a small (1"?) drop.
Prolly they did not do that good a job on the civic version of the ricelands.
Old 10-21-2010
Low and slow!

Lordhelmet is right actually. There is alot of people on ephatch running the racelands and have held up for a good while.
Old 10-21-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MoreRicePlease
If you're looking for something similar to stock, get the KYB GR2. I just put them in my 02 ex. paid $110 per front at http://rockauto.com. They work great. Much better than stock, in my opinion.
they're for my koni yellows. i want a new shell for them.
Old 10-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

racelands are dangerously cheap coilovers i would never consider that brand i would rather drive stock.
Old 10-22-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
racelands are dangerously cheap coilovers i would never consider that brand i would rather drive stock.
I've seen catastrophic failures on coilovers 3-4 times the price of racelands. At least with racelands the will give you a new coilover under warranty.
Old 10-22-2010
Low and slow!

So far some of the guys over there on ephatch have had racelands for like a year or 2 and no problems what so ever. There is another brand that basically is racelands with another brand name and they are even cheaper. They are called rokkor coilovers and they are like 10$ cheaper and you get a 3 year warranty. For real I would rather buy cheap coilovers and have to replace them every 3 years or so rather than replacing the expensive ones bout the same time as the cheap ones.
Old 10-22-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just stay away from chinese coilovers. and if you want lowered car for performance, 1.5 inch is about the limit and you can use the tokico hp with them. anything lower you will just hate driving and the handling will not be any better. not to mention all the suspension parts you will be replacing because they cannot handle the stress of a lowered suspension geometry.
Old 10-22-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
just stay away from chinese coilovers. and if you want lowered car for performance, 1.5 inch is about the limit and you can use the tokico hp with them. anything lower you will just hate driving and the handling will not be any better. not to mention all the suspension parts you will be replacing because they cannot handle the stress of a lowered suspension geometry.
All he said was he wanted to go low for cheap with no regards to improved handling.
Old 10-22-2010
Registered!!

jaedubb is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you guys for all your feedback. will follow up when mod's are made. thanks again you guys are great