Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Rear control arm bushings And Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicRage is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear control arm bushings And Alignment

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rear control arm bushings And Alignment

its very possible. worn bushings can cause alignment issues. happened to me when the front control arm bushings were torn and car would never hold an alignment more than a week.
Old 05-04-2010
Registered!!

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think you need a press to get the new bushings in. and yeah dont forget the camber kit too if you have a lowered car. they cant align it without one.
Old 05-04-2010
Registered!!

:t up::tup :

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-04-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CivicRage
Well he looked and said the bushings were cracked but how can he tell without taking them apart? couldnt that just be the cracked part that holds them in? What are some signs of cracked bushings? This is stressing me out... I have read around online and cant seem to find good enough info..
the bushings are visible from the extremities. They are the linking points of the arms to the chassis. if they are tired, they will allow more movement thus changing the alignment.
If you raise the car as we discussed in the other thread, you should be able to avoid the use of the camber kits (they are more expensive in your case than the 7th generation cars for requiring complete lower control arms)
For alignment, the bushings would cure a lot of the issues, unless you have bent control arms (this will not cause variation, though, but inability to get teh alignment. tie rods should not cause variation either.
Old 05-04-2010
Premium Member

stock bushings are a very weak design to start with, most of it is hollow and has a couple of thin "arms" that always break easily.
Old 05-04-2010
Registered!!

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Old 05-05-2010
Premium Member

try to get ES (energy suspension) polyurethane bushings, they will outlast the car. make sure and get a camber kit too. usually control arms wont bend, ive never heard of it happening so youre prolly okay just replacing bushings.
Old 05-05-2010
Registered!!

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 05-05-2010
Premium Member

eh i dont know that one. ive had the front lca bushings break on me at only 50k miles, and front engine mount too. some of them are more prone to coming apart than others so i guess just replace what you can afford. seems like the lowers may be under more stress but idk.
Old 05-05-2010
Registered!!

Old 05-05-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Hard to tell... on my miata (same double wishbone suspension), right side had the upper bushings go first, left were the lowers... under cornering it should be similar loads in both upper and lower, but bumps are taken more in the lowers. However lowers are designed tougher than the upper for that reason? Might be possible to change the lowers only and see what happens with the uppers.
However, if you change one bushing, please change all the bushings in that arm and the other side of the car too. Poly bushings are dinamically different than the stock ones. Not sure about the older civic, but on the miata the poly bushings are not bonded to the sleeve pin, so they rotate around the pin. That allows for freelier movement of the arm and the car will behave differently in that arms. If you don't change the other side, the car could behave oddly with differences from side to side. Also, for that reason, it could lower the car a little bit - some miatas got lower by 1/4" just with the bushings.
if you going to change just some of them, maybe using stock might be better?
hope this helps
Old 05-07-2010
Registered!!

Old 05-08-2010
Premium Member

i know for sure the front tie rod ends will affect alignment, one of mine almost fell out once and i wouldve lost steering control. anytime you change tie rods (or they start getting old and the boots crack), you need to realign it no matter how close you get the new ones to match the old position.
Old 05-08-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

any bushings on the suspension does affect alignment. tie rods affect the toe.
If they are bad, change them, but labor could be high. If you can, better to change all of them, but you also have the new shocks/springs to expense...
Old 08-19-2010
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point

i only have a torn lca bushing on passenger side, driver side is still oem and fine, should i was going to just change the one passenger side for energu suspension lca bushing but you guys are saying to change all bushings and not just the one?
Old 08-19-2010
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

Change all 4, your going to take the control arm off you should atleast do both, but Im guessing since the bushings are so much thicker your alignment would be off if you only did one side. Do all four then get an alignment and you;ll never have to worry about it again.
Old 08-20-2010
Premium Member

always change bushings in pairs
Old 08-21-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

and if they are ES, even more - the material they are made from are different, i guess.
Old 08-23-2010
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys!