Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Body twist w/ suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aero528 is an unknown quantity at this point
Body twist w/ suspension mods

I just have a couple quick questions about body twist on our civics due to the uni-body construction. I have an 03 EX sedan with everything stock for now. I've driven the car for about 4 years, and can start to see the classic signs(slight sunroof dimples, small indents around rear badge, and indents behind rear wheels). I was planning in the future to put a coilover system on the car, and was wondering if anybody has had any worse problems with this? Thanks for the info!

--Chris
Old 07-28-2009
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Body twist w/ suspension mods

as per a long debate many years ago on this forum, it was more or less concluded that dimples around the sun roof are not conclusive proof of chassis flexing. as some of the group that used their cars for competition did have them and some of the group did not. so those issues may or may not be stress, or just normal for some cars.

aside from that, indents by the rear badge? you mean on the trunk lid? if so, then that is absolutely not from chassis flexing. as the trunk is not rigidly mounted to the chassis. So someone or something has dented your car.

and what indents behind the rear wheels? got pic?
Old 07-28-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

has anyone considered HAIL damage? you may not have even realized, because hail storms can come and go in as little as 30 seconds, even in the hot summer if you live in the midwest. i have all sorts of dimples on the car from just one storm caused by small marble size hail. and they are most noticable around the moonroof, prolly because the sheet metal is thinnest there. the hood and trunk got a good beating too but not as noticable unless you look from different angles.
Old 07-28-2009
Registered!!

Well, it makes sence that the trunk lid is caused by something else. The dimples in the rear are just were it meets the bumper, on both sides. This is something that I've slowly noticed getting worse over time (although it could just be my imagination). I haven't really hit anything with the back bumper to cause this. I have also noticed that the rear tail lights where they touch the quarter panel rubs some, and I can only assume that from chassis flex?

What I'm talking about is definitely not hail damage. While on my car you can barely see the sunroof dimples, They are about 6-8ins from the rear corner of the sunroof towards the rear of the car.

I have some pictures, but I don't know if you will be able to see any of them. Thanks for the info, I'm just wondering if its worth me actually doing up the suspension on this car or not.

Old 07-28-2009
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I dont see anything that looks like it was caused by chasis flex. Yes, over time the headlights and tail lights might have slight gaps from shifting a little but thats normal. Ppl repeatedly slamming your doors getting in/out over time may cause slight alignment issues with panels, or the douche in the parking lot that hits you, but since there isnt anything visible he zooms off. Bumpers are made these days to take impacts of 5mph and show no signs of damage- although when a 2500lb car hits your parked and E-braked vic at 5mph, it'll def hit hard enough to throw your CD's out your dash pocket.
Old 07-28-2009
Registered!!

Well, thats good to know that its not chassis flex. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 07-29-2009
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, manufacturers of chassis bracing parts try to make it sound as if Unibody cars have all the rigidity of wet Linguine. When the reality is, unibody cars chassis are more stiff by orders of magnitude vs what they were 15-20 years ago (full frame).

granted there is still flex, but its a secondary issue.
Old 07-29-2009
Autocross Junky

Honestly, manufacturers of chassis bracing parts try to make it sound as if Unibody cars have all the rigidity of wet Linguine. When the reality is, unibody cars chassis are more stiff by orders of magnitude vs what they were 15-20 years ago (full frame).

granted there is still flex, but its a secondary issue.