General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Noob lookin to lower his car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002
I spent 1425 points to do this.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOHC is an unknown quantity at this point
Noob lookin to lower his car...

after some big time brainstormin' i decided to go for that aggressive look that kicks a$$. ok- so i wanna get some 17" wheels, lower my car, and get a body kit. in that order. for wheels im prolly gonna go with some focal f5s. for a body kit i will most likely go with the OEM kit (i cant find any other kit that doesnt scream 'look at me, look at me!). but for suspension (a topic i know nothing of[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]) i think i wanna get some coilovers. now- the advantage of coilovers is that they are adjustable- right? i do live in new england, i plan on switchin back to stock wheels for the winter, and jackin the car back up too.

for the smoothest ride, with the least bounce which coilover should i get? are coilovers the only suspension mod i will need to lower my car?
i read some threads about how i should get a camber kit (whats that?) and new struts. i also read that ground control is a good pick. but its so much $$$$$!!

How do you guys deal with speed bumps? lately ive been paying attention to the distance between the bottom of my car when im over a speed bump- sometimes its not more than an inch!!! i dont have any exhaust mods, so im not too concerned with bottomin out in that respect- but there are some pretty steep driveway entries around here- i dont know if im ready for the comitment to look at the road 100% to make sure nothing will screw up my car's underside!
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

Mokushi is an unknown quantity at this point
As far as coilovers, get the Gound Controls. They use Eibach springs which are very decent springs for the money. The coilovers aren't that much more expensive than just getting springs. I think you can find gound controls for around $300. Now, with that out of the way, if you plan on slamming your car to the ground with a drop of more than 2 in, get the koni struts ($500-550). If you don't say bye bye to your factory struts because they will blow in a matter of days. They weren't designed to handle a drop that aggressive.

You're lost about camber kits. Camber kits($250?) just re-adjust the angle at which your tires meet the ground. For instance, a stock ride is pretty close to being vertical:

| |-------------| | Stock view of wheels from behind.

Now if you slam your car, it will look more like this:

/ /-------------\ \ Dropped view of wheels from behind.

What camber kits do is line your wheels back up to stock specs so that you get nice and even tread wear on your tires. If you don't have them, your tires will quickly bald on the inside.

As for speed bumps. You gotta take them at an angle and really really really slow. That's about it. Anything else...?
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
You better rethink getting coil-overs if they salt the roads where you live.. Otherwise once U jack your car back up.. It's staying there..the salt will pit and corrode them so badly that you'll never get em off again.. Just drop the car about 1.5" or so and you're still good for winter.

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 03-04-2002

hey thanks a lot, its unusual for someone to actually respond to ALL of my questions, i appreciate it! i dont plan on lowering my car more than an inch and a half (tops), so im safe with just the ground controls huh? thats great! this wont be as expensive as i thought! coilovers' only advantage is that theyre adjustable right? there is no other plus to going with coilovers over springs? one big question i have is- how much will it cost me to have coilovers installed? i looked at the DIY, it looks a little too complicated for a guy who hasnt done more than change his hed unit and speakers.

thanks again
Old 03-04-2002

yeah! they do salt the roads out here! maybe i should go with just springs- it ought to be much cheaper- but im afraid i will be disappointed with the drop, maybe too much, maybe not enough. if im not happy, i cant just adjust it, id have to get new springs and have them reinstall em [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] my best bet is to check out member rides and check out their springs. but id only be workin off pictures, not the real thing. which springs offer the best ride quality?

thanks
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

in that case.. I beleive Neuspeed Sport springs are what you'd want. 1.6" Drop..or Eibach Pro-kit(might not be enough but handlings great)
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

Xudus is an unknown quantity at this point
If I was you I would just go for the Neuspeed sports, thats what Im doing. That way you dont have to worry about adjusting anything, the camber will be fine , adn as long as you dont drive like a maniac your struts will last. Now for the most important thing, LOOKS. check out these rides for how it looks...
:: Here is 01IncaPearl's 2001 Honda Civic EX ::
Old 03-04-2002

ooooh yeah- thats another thing- if i lower my car, my suspension warranty is shot to hell right? yeah, incapearl's ride looks good, but i dont think i would go as low in the back end, i dont mind our cars normal incline. it wouldnt be a good idea to have different springs on either end of the car right?
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

Mokushi is an unknown quantity at this point
I got Neuspeed Sports, but no updated pics with em yet. It's a 1.75" in the front and 1.5" in the back. It is the perfect blend of aggressive looks, great handling, and smooth ride... Don't have a camber kit either. Might do it when I buy new tires this fall.... For around $140 shipped, you can't beat it...

It will run you about $100 to get them installed. And yes, your warranty for your suspension is gone once you put these on and they notice them. Also, springs will generally give you a better ride than coilevers, generally...
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

KurupTLX is an unknown quantity at this point
Im suprised no one has mentioned Eibach Sportlines.. they drop your car about 1.7 front and rear adn the ride is supposed to be good
Thats what im looking to get in april.... my second choice would be the neuspeed race springs or whatever they're called

K-lx
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

the Eibach sprtlines I did not recoomend because of the stiffness of the spring.. he would definately need a strut bar to avoid any body rippling with springs that stiff.. I had them on my car..they're great..but..I didn't have an STB and it was winter was commign so I took em off and sold them to my friend.. This spring I'm grabbing some Neuspeed race springs Koni Yellows STB, and Eibach camber kit.

Cheers
Mohawk
Old 03-04-2002

mokushi, where can i get neuspeeds for $140 shipped?
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

slowroll is an unknown quantity at this point
i would also like to know where i could get neuspeeds for $140 shipped
Old 03-04-2002
Registered!!

MadMike is an unknown quantity at this point
see my neuspeed sports: