Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Need info on strut bars, frame brace etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maple50175 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need info on strut bars, frame brace etc.

Does RSX bars fit in an em2 02 civic coupe?

What fits? and what doesn't I really want to get a front strut bar as well as rear.

Also, How do those under engine body frame things I see on ebay work. Worth it? Let me know!
Old 12-23-2008
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Need info on strut bars, frame brace etc.

None of them are worth it. Save your money for better parts.
Old 12-23-2008
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

are you chasing down that last 10th of a second?

If not... then all chassis bracing is going to do is influence the "feel" of the car, which may exactly what you are looking for.
Old 12-29-2008
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
are you chasing down that last 10th of a second?

If not... then all chassis bracing is going to do is influence the "feel" of the car, which may exactly what you are looking for.
Know what? It really feels different. Neuspeed one just in, moved the clutch reservoir and the hydros of steering to clear space.
It kind of have a more "strange" feeling, the roll seems kind of odd during a quick 3 mile drive to check for loosen stuff. No noise so far, but a quick push in a corner indicates an increased understeering, but more controllable (it was already way more controllable than the Miata I have, BTW).
Soon I have more seat time, i might post the findings. the odd feeling might go away when i soften the dampers (currently 3 of 4 in the AGX KYB).
Interesting.
Old 12-30-2008
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Know what? It really feels different. Neuspeed one just in, moved the clutch reservoir and the hydros of steering to clear space.
It kind of have a more "strange" feeling, the roll seems kind of odd during a quick 3 mile drive to check for loosen stuff. No noise so far, but a quick push in a corner indicates an increased understeering, but more controllable (it was already way more controllable than the Miata I have, BTW).
Soon I have more seat time, i might post the findings. the odd feeling might go away when i soften the dampers (currently 3 of 4 in the AGX KYB).
Interesting.
again, we know it "feels" different, but take two laps without it and two laps with it and tell us which times are better. The results will probably be that either your laps are the same or that they got worse with the strut bar.
Old 12-31-2008
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robbclark1
again, we know it "feels" different, but take two laps without it and two laps with it and tell us which times are better. The results will probably be that either your laps are the same or that they got worse with the strut bar.
Ahhh, March is sooo far away... sniff. winter takes too long, without the weekend autoXees. If i can take it out during the lunch time, i will try that
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

Location: Scott County, KY. Where else? This is my town! Na na na..na..na..
dscottb01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found that there are not a ton of options on suspension bracing. I am looking for particular things if anyone has some ideas.

Front Strut Tower Brace
Upper Rear Strut Brace
Lower Rear Tie Bar
Adjustable end links

Moving the car from HS to DSP and Road Race setup.
Old 01-22-2009
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dscottb01
I have found that there are not a ton of options on suspension bracing. I am looking for particular things if anyone has some ideas.

Front Strut Tower Brace
Upper Rear Strut Brace
Lower Rear Tie Bar
Adjustable end links

Moving the car from HS to DSP and Road Race setup.
the upper & lower rear bracing is something you are going to find to be more or less useless. The Shock's are mounted right in to the floor pan (rather then raised Towers like the older civics), and the lower control arms have not run in to the same tearing out problems the old civics use to have. The front upper may have some benefit, but the strut towers are pretty close to the fire wall as is.

I'm not sure what you are asking for with adjustable end links.
Old 02-12-2009
PITA Admin
Administrator

the upper & lower rear bracing is something you are going to find to be more or less useless. The Shock's are mounted right in to the floor pan (rather then raised Towers like the older civics), and the lower control arms have not run in to the same tearing out problems the old civics use to have. The front upper may have some benefit, but the strut towers are pretty close to the fire wall as is.

I'm not sure what you are asking for with adjustable end links.
didn't know that about the rears... then the best would be the rear sways?
Have a lot of understeers with eibach springs (0.75" lowering that are really more than 1"...) and rear sway in hard.
Progress sways then?
Old 02-13-2009
Autocross Junky

I'd be looking to do a couple of things. 1st one would be to optimize the cars alignment. after that i'd reassess the car and see if it needed further tuning.

as far as anti-roll bars, leave the front one stock for now and just tweak the rear.
Old 02-13-2009
PITA Admin
Administrator

I'd be looking to do a couple of things. 1st one would be to optimize the cars alignment. after that i'd reassess the car and see if it needed further tuning.

as far as anti-roll bars, leave the front one stock for now and just tweak the rear.
Well, actually, I have some ingall's front camber bolts, but the shops tell me that they tend to break, best is to slot the struts to allow for camber adjustments, but still wondering about if this is best...
Sways? Front is back to stock a long ago to hold on the front grip, running the AGX 4 at rears and 2 (of 4) fronts. I believe just need more camber in the fronts to hold... Very close to 3 wheeler now if not tight turns.
I can hear you telling me to not to mod without thinking(me on the left!), but i did mod the car to DSP before starting autoX... Not gonna back that now to stock... Sniff. Only way is forward now!
Old 02-17-2009
Autocross Junky

I've been running a set of camber bolts for 5+ years now with 4years of competition on them. They don't break unless you grossly over torque them (I've never personally seen one break). Granted they can slip out of adjustment if you don't torque them enough.

Slotting the bolt holes on the strut can work, however it is a one way modification.... as in once the strut is slotted, you cant un-slot it. Another thing to look in to would be camber plates.
Old 02-21-2009
PITA Admin
Administrator

I've been running a set of camber bolts for 5+ years now with 4years of competition on them. They don't break unless you grossly over torque them (I've never personally seen one break). Granted they can slip out of adjustment if you don't torque them enough.

Slotting the bolt holes on the strut can work, however it is a one way modification.... as in once the strut is slotted, you cant un-slot it. Another thing to look in to would be camber plates.
Thanks, will try to find a place they can put them in (current nuts are "round"... can't take them out without air tools... 350 tork electric one does nothing...)
me on the left
Old 02-21-2009
Registered!!

EMK20a2 will become famous soon enoughEMK20a2 will become famous soon enough

All of the RSX stuff will fit the EM2
Old 03-01-2009
Registered!!

Maple50175 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea i have the progress rear sway bar and love it