Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Shock/Strut Diameters

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Shock/Strut Diameters

I puchased a get of GC Springs. The springs are for the OEM shocks and struts. I didn't know there was a difference when I bought them.

So. I guess the issue with the GCs that I have are the springs themselves or the sleeves are not big enough to fit a damper with a diameter that is larger than the OEM size.

So are there any aftermarket dampers that have the same diameter as the OEM dampers?

I called GC 2 times and got 2 different answers. One guy insists that the Tokico HPs will work, while another said that only the Koni ones will work.

So does anyone know for sure? If not can anyone tell me the diameter of the OEM dampers?

BTW I have a 2001 Civic Coupe LX
Old 03-24-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HighBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Shock/Strut Diameters

u sure it just GC spring ? spring and sleeves coilover they r different maan. if is spring then the front spring should be two times bigger than the rear spring. if four of them are same size and is height adjustable then is GC sleeve coilover. u have to trim ur oem shock to make it fit..
and it depends on how low u r goin .. if u goin lower than 1.8 inch then u might well just get the Koni yellow.. cuz the oem shock is goin to give up on u sooner or later.
Old 03-24-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Both Koni and Tokico make different models for the 01-02 civic and the 03-05 civic. Make sure you buy the 50mm for your 01 LX.
Old 03-24-2008

pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

This is what I have. They are sleeved coilovers.

Here is a front & rear:

They are designed for shocks with the OEM diameter. So I'm looking for aftermarket shocks that have the same diameter as OEM so that I can utilize these Coilovers. My stock struts are going out, so they need replaced and I just assume replace with aftermarket.

So which aftermarket shocks have the same diameter as OEM? So I can use these coilovers?
Old 03-25-2008
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm certain you need the Ground Controls made for Koni's so that wouldn't work for you. Stick with tokico.
Old 03-25-2008
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

All of you are misunderstanding him. Let me try to make sense of this

1) He bought GCs for OEM shocks
2) He needs new shocks and didn't realize that GCs are different for different types of shocks.
3) He want to get tokico blues and was wondering if the shock body diameter is the same as stock.

Pheaton, you can always get the koni adaptor kit and get Konis, but that will end up being an extra $600 for the kit and the konis.
Old 03-25-2008
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

blah blah blah double post too lazy to delete
Old 03-25-2008

Thanks Robb. Yeah I know I can do the Koni adapter, but it's kind of silly for a car that's more of a spirited daily driver.

I guess it's like you said. I'd really like to get the Tokico Blues, but I need to make sure they'll work. I just don't want to order them and be sitting on $600 worth of suspension parts that I can't use. lol.
Old 03-25-2008

Hrm. . damn. I think this might answer this question:

http://www.ground-control.com/gcapguid.htm

I think I'll be putting this babies up for sale. They were pretty to look at.
Old 03-25-2008

And. . .. . . heeeeere we go: LOL

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4301138