Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Which coilovers? Tein SS-P or Flex?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
veeru83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Which coilovers? Tein SS-P or Flex?

Hey guys,

I'm a NOOBIE and I have couple of questions concerning the Tein SS-P (DSA22-2USS1) or Flex (DSA22-6USS1). I apologise for asking all these questions. This will be for my 2005 Civic (click on link for pix)
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4294087

1.) I've heard that the Flex can squeak from time to time depending on road conditions. Not aware of any noise issue with SS-P. Any comments?

2.) What is the maximum ride height drop (front & rear) for both of them?

3.) Any reliabilities issue?

4.) I know that a rear camber kit is needed? Any particular brands recommended?

5.) The SS-P uses a one-strut design (spring travel is relative to ride height) but for the Flex, the spring travel and ride height are independent from one another. Anybody ever have any problems in the SS-P with excessive drop but harsh ride (not enough spring travel).

6.) Can you feel (bum-o-meter) the actual difference between the softest setting of the Flex (#16) and the hardest setting of the SS-P (#1)? Or is there some kind of overlap?

Sorry for all the long list, but I'm a a NOOBIE and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Vee

Last edited by veeru83; 03-08-2008 at 02:01 AM. Reason: need help on Tein = more questions
Old 03-05-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which coilovers? Tein SS-P or Flex?

most people here have the SS. the flex i think one one guy had and its mostly for racing. i dont think its that great for daily driving.
Old 03-05-2008
Registered!!

bluedot is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend the super street. I've put 60k on my type flex, its too much for everyday driving. The suspesion is much to stiff even on the softest setting with the least amount of pre-load. If you are using the car just for racing the flex is great. I have ridin in alot of lowered cars but nothing half as stiff as the tein type flex. NOt for everday use!
Old 03-05-2008
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by veeru83
Hey guys,

I'm a NOOBIE and I have couple of questions concerning the Tein SS-P (DSA22-2USS1) or Flex (DSA22-6USS1). I apologise for asking all these questions. This will be for my 2005 Civic (click on link for pix)

1.) I've heard that the Flex can squeak from time to time depending on road conditions. Not aware of any noise issue with SS-P. Any comments? I have never heard of either squeaking.

2.) What is the maximum ride height drop (front & rear) for both of them? It's on Tein's website

3.) Any reliabilities issue? No, they are good quality

4.) I know that a rear camber kit is needed? Any particular brands recommended? SPC or ingalls

5.) The SS-P uses a one-strut design (spring travel is relative to ride height) but for the Flex, the spring travel and ride height are independent from one another. Anybody ever have any problems in the SS-P with excessive drop but harsh ride (not enough spring travel).

6.) Can you feel (bum-o-meter) the actual difference between the softest setting of the Flex (#16) and the hardest setting of the SS-P (#1)? Or is there some kind of overlap? Not really

Sorry for all the long list, but I'm a a NOOBIE and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Vee
Do you have any reason for getting the flexes over the SS-Ps? If you don't need the adjustability, then stick with the SSs. Why do you need a camber plate?
Old 03-05-2008
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

get flex... since youll always wonder..if you have cash flow..why didint i spend the extra money... buy what you want initially. and you wont be dissappointed!
Old 03-08-2008
Registered!!

Do you have any reason for getting the flexes over the SS-Ps? If you don't need the adjustability, then stick with the SSs. Why do you need a camber plate?
I heard it's better all around. I don't plan on on tracking it, more of a street race kinda thing.

get flex... since youll always wonder..if you have cash flow..why didint i spend the extra money... buy what you want initially. and you wont be dissappointed!
In Thailand, the Flex is not officially sold and must be imported from Japan, so the price is double the SS. If it weren't that much different, I'd go for the Flex.

Couple more questions:
1.) I'm looking at the Skunk2 rear camber kit (516-05-0510). Will it fit my 05 Civic EX sedan?

2.) I'm hoping for a drop height of about 2.5" (at lowest ride height setting), is that possible with the Tein SS?

3.) Is the pillow mount necessary? The SS doesn't have it but I checked on the other posts and some say that it's not that important (only helps with camber adjustment). Any other comments?

Thanks.

Vee (Thailand)
Old 03-08-2008

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

I heard it's better all around. I don't plan on on tracking it, more of a street race kinda thing. then stick with the SS, there is no need for the flex and they are going to be very stiff on the street

In Thailand, the Flex is not officially sold and must be imported from Japan, so the price is double the SS. If it weren't that much different, I'd go for the Flex.

Couple more questions:
1.) I'm looking at the Skunk2 rear camber kit (516-05-0510). Will it fit my 05 Civic EX sedan? yes.

2.) I'm hoping for a drop height of about 2.5" (at lowest ride height setting), is that possible with the Tein SS? No. And you don't want to drop that low. Although dropping low "looks cool" 2.5" is really low. You don't want to go much beyond 1.5-2.

3.) Is the pillow mount necessary? The SS doesn't have it but I checked on the other posts and some say that it's not that important (only helps with camber adjustment). Any other comments?
It isn't important. If you aren't racing, then you don't need extreme front camber

Thanks.

Vee (Thailand)
Old 03-12-2008
Registered!!

civiccontend34 has a spectacular aura aboutciviccontend34 has a spectacular aura aboutciviccontend34 has a spectacular aura about

i was stuck in the same dilema this past summer and ended up getting the flex cuz i knew this way i couldnt regret it. Cost a bit more but is a blast to drive. Not going to lie i cant even tell the difference between the softest and hardest setting because either wya you feel EVERY bump in the road. Personally i can live with it becuase the car is so responsive and you can really feel what the car is doing going around corners and such. I tracked it a couple times and that is my only suspension mod for now except i guess good tires and its completely ridiculous how big a difference it makes in the transitioning from one corner to the next and how much smoother it is around corners nad holds. As for drop, i still have a solid half inch to drop and my tires are already flush with the fender so as for dumping believe me you will be fine with the flex.
Old 03-12-2008
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

I just came back from a shop. I just purchase the SSP about an hour ago.

I guess get the flex or SS are personal opinions. Everyone likes something different, but I would assume quality is the same, since its Tein.
Old 03-15-2008
Registered!!

Thanks robbclark1 for all the info. I think I'm swaying towards the SS now, but wait..............

I found a sweet deal for a Tein MonoFlex DC5 on Yahoo Auction Japan. Current price is $420, but there's about 4 days left (as of 15/03/08). What do you guys thing? Overboard? Will a DC5 even fit my 05 EX Civic Sedan? Advise please.

I just came back from a shop. I just purchase the SSP about an hour ago.

I guess get the flex or SS are personal opinions. Everyone likes something different, but I would assume quality is the same, since its Tein.
phuviano, it's been 2 days since you had the SSP on, how's the first impression?
Old 03-15-2008

Thanks robbclark1 for all the info. I think I'm swaying towards the SS now, but wait..............

I found a sweet deal for a Tein MonoFlex DC5 on Yahoo Auction Japan. Current price is $420, but there's about 4 days left (as of 15/03/08). What do you guys thing? Overboard? Will a DC5 even fit my 05 EX Civic Sedan? Advise please.

phuviano, it's been 2 days since you had the SSP on, how's the first impression?
It will fit but you will need to do some modifications. I would just buy stuff for the EM2/ES1/ES2.
Old 03-15-2008
Registered!!

jonjonEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go with the ss-p you won't regret it especially if your not tracking. I put em on mine about a month ago ride is rougher than stock but you get used to it, you'll notice a huge improvment in handling and cornering.
Old 03-15-2008
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

Sorry, not too sure how they perform yet. They are still in the box. I'll have them installed in about 2 or 3 weeks from now.
Old 03-26-2008
Registered!!

kerpal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,

I'm a NOOBIE and I have couple of questions concerning the Tein SS-P (DSA22-2USS1) or Flex truck part (DSA22-6USS1). I apologise for asking all these questions. This will be for my 2005 Civic (click on link for pix)

1.) I've heard that the Flex can squeak from time to time depending on road conditions. Not aware of any noise issue with SS-P. Any comments?

2.) What is the maximum ride height drop (front & rear) for both of them?

3.) Any reliabilities issue?

4.) I know that a rear camber kit is needed? Any particular brands recommended?

6.) Can you feel (bum-o-meter) the actual difference between the softest setting of the Flex (#16) and the hardest setting of the SS-P (#1)? Or is there some kind of overlap?

Vee
I haven't tried Flex yet bro... Waht is flex anyway??