Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

HELP! found problem with rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
HELP! found problem with rear suspension

well, i'd been having extra noise coming from my rear suspension lately. i thought it might be my battery rocking around in its metal box, but i tightened that more and no help. i've had broken endlinks, but those are all good. so i'm wondering if maybe my rear strut is actually loose or something. i look in the trunk to tighten something down and find the piece shown below. i can tell where it goes, as the other koni is A-OK, but i cannot find the 2 bolts that are needed to secure this piece back on. threads on the top of the strut LOOK ok, not stripped.

is it safe to drive this? i have no idea how long it's been totally off of the strut, but i do not know what its exact function is and now i'm worried. there isn't a hardware store in walking distance for me, but i don't want my rear suspension do blow up from driving a couple miles. thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	strut piece.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	64339  
Old 02-13-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Thats the top of the shock hat. That piece of rubber goes in the top of the hat, the piston goes through it, there's a large washer and a pair of nuts that hold the shock in the car. So basically right now, your suspension is free to move as it pleases and you basically have no suspension since its not bolted down
NO, its not safe to drive like that, you need to put that back in, find the washer and the nuts, or get another pair of 12x1.5mm nuts and put the shock back together.
Old 02-13-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xkimsungminx is an unknown quantity at this point
shizuh that's not cool, and yea listen to boilermaker1, he's very knowledgable in the suspension department.
Old 02-13-2006
I need TP for my bunghole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
look at parts 1,2 and 8.

Old 02-15-2006
Registered!!

doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
well since no one replied quick, i did go to lowes and get a washer and random bolt to put on there. however:
1, it's not gonna last long since it's one bolt that really doesn't fit (couldn't find 2 bolts like the other side.
2, i couldn't get the shock to line up in the center of the hole by myself. i tried jacking up the car (made it more off center). am i pretty much going to have to completely remove the rear suspension on that side to reinstall it properly? thanks for the responses.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

and a followup:

i emailed KONI about the item, and they are nextday-ing me the parts. gratis. very quick responses, i can't thank them enough. i personally didn't even purchase these shocks, they came with the car and have about 30,000mi on them. they made a lifetime customer out of me though.