Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Suggestions for the best "daily driver" setup...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Suggestions for the best "daily driver" setup...

First a little background on this question. My wife bought her sedan back in 01. We lowered it a few months later on stock struts/shocks with Neuspeed Sports and camber kits f/r. The ride was ok at first...and as expect 4.5 years later is hardly even drivable. Also the drop went from mild to dumped. As seen in the picture below the thing is way lower than Neuspeeds claimed drop. Now to the point...I want to get her a new setup. But unlike most on the market I want it to be almost as low as it is now...but a good ride. Is that even possible? Can I lower 2+ inches and have a smooth, ride with very little bounce? If so what products should I get? My gut tells me get the Tein SS, but I dont want something to stiff. Any suggestions would be wonderful!!

As you can see from the pics...the car is nearly tucking the wheels front and back. If you put even so much as gym bag in the trunk the thing is tucking an inch of tire.

Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

whitedawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Go for Tein SS...
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
the tein ss are really good, my friend had them on his civic and they were not that stiff when you adjust the dampening. another choice you should consider is the B&Gs, they ride very nicely and the quality is outstanding. with those 2 choices, you should still be able to maintain that same drop height and still be relatively comfortable.
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

98VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
I had Tein SS on my Prelude and I found it fairly stiff. Now naturally the spring rates are much higher but still I want to get away from the rough ride. Are the Koni Yellows an option? Keep the Neuspeeds that she has and swap out for a better damper?
Old 10-05-2005
Stolen digital camera = no ninja picture for me

PoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 98VTEC
I had Tein SS on my Prelude and I found it fairly stiff. Now naturally the spring rates are much higher but still I want to get away from the rough ride. Are the Koni Yellows an option? Keep the Neuspeeds that she has and swap out for a better damper?

I was going to suggest looking into new shocks instead. I have Eibach Sportlines, which is a fairly aggressive drop, with Tokico D Specs and with the adjustable dampening I have a lot of control over ride quality. Right now I have the rears on full soft, and the fronts a few turns off of full hard and the ride is fairly comfortable without being bouncy or overly harsh, and it still retains a sporty feel.
Old 10-05-2005
Wanna see a donkey show?

cg95660 is an unknown quantity at this point
I went two months before blowing my oem struts on a 1.3 h&r spring drop. I now have tokico hp(blues) and the ride is much nicer. It still has stiffness for cornering and hard bumps but also has a smoother ride for nicer roads.
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

2k1civicLX is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the Tein SS and they are great... the ride is real nice when put in a middle dampening setting but you can always put it on the softest setting and still get a better rde than stock. I also have heard that the Tein Basic is a real nice all around setup for a cheaper price but with that you cannot change the dampening.
Old 10-05-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Keep the springs, they will ride softer then ANY liniar spring thats found on "coilovers" (thats what they are designed to do). What you need is a set of dampers. And in your case, a set of Tokico HP's would solve all your problems for about a quarter of the cost of "coilovers".
Old 10-05-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
^^^ yuup, Tokico HP's would be my vote as well, unless you have more $ and would like to adjust dampening levels (Koni yellow, Tokico D-spec).... but how often do ppl adjust them anyway on a daily driver?
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

honda860 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
im going with tein ss myself for my 05. I have heard alot of good about them product