Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

04 owners please confirm 16mm knuckle

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mattnyc is an unknown quantity at this point
04 owners please confirm 16mm knuckle

There is so much speculation of 16mm being a standard or being random.

To solve this problem can 2004 owners please post there real life experience with this? Whether you have already upgraded your suspension or if you measured it.

I want to get to the bottom of this.
Old 01-26-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Its a 16mm knuckle. Thats a fact. Thats the standardized knuckle honda put in the car.
Randomization had to do with the strut casing diameter and probably is a non issue by now. It was an issue when Honda figured out that all the struts were blowing.
Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

Man is this frustrating. I just want to get a streetable suspension where i dont have to drill or cut anything. why is this so f'ing difficult?! I really hope that omnipower can cater to 2004 civics with the 16mm knuckle.

It baffles me. even the tein basics, i need the 01 upper mounts or something. Tein technician said their coilovers now include them if i need them. i dont know if the vendors here offer these to us customers.

I want rims but i cant get them until i get my suspension.
Old 01-26-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Look at coilover systems for the 04+ EP3 (maybe even 03)... theyve also got 16mm knuckles and I'm pretty sure they've got options.
Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

But i dont have an ep3? I want suspension designed for my 2004.
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Look at coilover systems for the 04+ EP3 (maybe even 03)... theyve also got 16mm knuckles and I'm pretty sure they've got options.
Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

gaugeof12 has a spectacular aura aboutgaugeof12 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mattnyc

The ep3 & the 04 suspension are similar enough to be a direct bolt on. The only real diffrence is spring rates (because of weight distribution) which is a non-issue with true coilovers since they are height adjustable.
Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

peteriap will become famous soon enoughpeteriap will become famous soon enough
Man is this frustrating. I just want to get a streetable suspension where i dont have to drill or cut anything. why is this so f'ing difficult?! I really hope that omnipower can cater to 2004 civics with the 16mm knuckle.

It baffles me. even the tein basics, i need the 01 upper mounts or something. Tein technician said their coilovers now include them if i need them. i dont know if the vendors here offer these to us customers.

I want rims but i cant get them until i get my suspension.
We can get you the Tein Basics now or the Omni's when they come out. If I were you, I would wait for the Omni's. They have nicer features.
Old 01-27-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

For about 100 bucks, you buy a set of softer springs for the front, and instantly an EP3 suspension becomes an EM2 suspension.
Old 01-27-2005
Registered!!

I have a 2004 Civic sedan. So are you saying i can buy the oem springs off a ep3 civic si and instanly improve handling and it will fit by design?

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
For about 100 bucks, you buy a set of softer springs for the front, and instantly an EP3 suspension becomes an EM2 suspension.
Old 01-27-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

NO, you cant just slap in a stock EP3 suspension and go. It would fit in, and the car would probably handle better, but the springs arent the right length. If you're buying coilovers where you can set the height yourself, all you need to do is get softer front springs, since the front of the Coupe/Sedan weighs less and the rest of the suspension works fine.
I'm rolling around right now with a set of EP3 JIC FLTA2s, all I did was change the front springs on them from 500 lbs to 400 lbs. 500 lbs was far too stiff, the front end would chatter under hard cornering because it wouldn't compress. 400 lbs and the car works like a dream.
Old 01-27-2005
Registered!!

mini-nsx is an unknown quantity at this point
???????????????????????????????????????????????

WTF does all of this mean?

We purchased an `04 civic about a year ago, we purchased Neuspeed Sport springs not too long after, then we've been moved all over the country, hopefully we will finally be able to put them on next month. Is this thread telling me that we have the wrong lowering springs for our 2004?

Thanks!!
Old 01-27-2005
Registered!!

Springs are springs. you will be fine. my frustration is with the many variables that make the 04 civic hard to upgrade a full suspension.

Originally Posted by mini-nsx
???????????????????????????????????????????????

WTF does all of this mean?

We purchased an `04 civic about a year ago, we purchased Neuspeed Sport springs not too long after, then we've been moved all over the country, hopefully we will finally be able to put them on next month. Is this thread telling me that we have the wrong lowering springs for our 2004?

Thanks!!
Old 01-27-2005
Registered!!

mini-nsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, thanks, I was pretty worried there...

Not that the springs were expensive, just that its been over 6 months and I dont think I could return them. And last I checked, money didnt grow on trees

Yeah, we are not looking for heavy suspension mods, just going to drop her not quite 2" or so...

Later,