Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

coilovers????

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trusted
coilovers????

has anyone heard bout these http://www.vaos.homestead.com/COILOVERS.html
thanks
Old 10-28-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Never heard of them but save for a couple of well-known brands (Ground Control, Skunk2) I would say steer clear of sleeved coilovers like these. Save your money for a full coilover set or a set of springs with good shocks OR Ground Controls with Konis, which seem to be a decent combination.
Old 10-28-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
yea never heard of them....if your getting sleeved go with GC's
Old 10-28-2004
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
their website is hosted w/ homestead..?
Old 10-28-2004
Registered!!

mradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trusted
Originally Posted by shmik1
their website is hosted w/ homestead..?
what does that mean?
Old 10-29-2004
Registered!!

InsaneK9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Link to GC

Link to GC

I'm debating whether or not to do my suspension myself or have a shop do it. What's the best way to find a good shop?

K9
Old 10-29-2004
Registered!!

do i really need coilovers? im going to school in wy, and it deffinetly snows here, but i would like to know how much trouble i will have in the winter time if i were to just go with lowering springs?
anyone have this situation?
Old 11-01-2004
Registered!!

hello? anyone?
Old 11-01-2004
Registered!!

matrix311 is on a distinguished road
dont get those, get something named brand, especially when it comes to suspension. It's the #1 thing you use the most on your car besides your engine. So treat it well and it'll treat you well.
Old 11-01-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
I rode around in winter slammed on H&R's. No problems really, and all the drivers behind me were grateful for the free snowplowing. This year though I've got full coilovers so I'm just gonna raise it up.

Think of it this way - either you spend $600+ for springs and shocks (nothin wrong with that) or $800 for coilovers, which are even better cause of the adjustability.
Old 11-01-2004
Registered!!

hondaciv01 is an unknown quantity at this point
don't buy sleeved coilovers unless you plan on going all out. ie redoing everything in the suspension. learned that one from experience.
Old 11-02-2004
Registered!!

i dont think im gonna get 'em but i was just wondering if anyone had 'em or not. Would i be safe in the winter with like a two inch drop in the snow? how much do H & R 's drop it? also would i need a camber kit?
Old 11-02-2004
Premium Member

its listed in the suspension FAQ they ALWAYS reccomend a camber kit, I have sportlines and no camber kit, my rear wheels look a bit off camber wise, it was aligned and im not seeing any irregular tire wear yet, once i have extra $ to spend im'a get camber kits.. 2" drop might be a bit much for snow.. my 1.5" drop still keeps me relatively high off the ground.. 2" might be ok tho, depending on how much snow u get and where u live in regards to plow route.. 2" should b fine tho i think.. not sure tho
Old 11-02-2004
Premium Member

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
Originally Posted by hondaciv01
don't buy sleeved coilovers unless you plan on going all out. ie redoing everything in the suspension. learned that one from experience.
sucks for you....i been riding on GC's for a year. Nothings been replaced.
Old 11-02-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Originally Posted by mradam85
i dont think im gonna get 'em but i was just wondering if anyone had 'em or not. Would i be safe in the winter with like a two inch drop in the snow? how much do H & R 's drop it? also would i need a camber kit?
No real need for a camber kit until WAY past 1.5" drop. H&R's drop 1.3 according to their site. Seriously though people freak out about tire wear due to camber WAY too much on this site. It's sad. Get it straight, you won't even NOTICE camber wear on your tires until past 2" drop or you peel out and powerslide every day on your way to work or school. I had H&R's on my sedan and when I took the summer rims off for winter, I couldn't even tell which tires were front (had no camber at the time) or rear (approx -2.5" camber). The real killer is toe settings. Make sure your toe is zeroed out, or you'll chew through your tires like mad. Get an alignment two weeks after you drop and you should be fine.

BTW for anyone considering H&R's (great springs) for 01+ Civics - do NOT install them on a sedan. Rear end sag will be horrible.
Old 11-02-2004
Registered!!

TELLY thanks alot man. very informative. i could care less bout tire wear. and btw your totaly right about people caring to much about camber wear. the only reason i asked about the camber kit was 'cause i didn't know if i would be loosing alot of traction or not, but it looks like you live in ontario and i would guess you get alot of snow there. so do you have any problems in the winter with your car being lowered? What type of suspension setup are you running now? What type of struts would you recomend with H&R's on an 2003 EX Coupe? thanks again for the info
Old 11-02-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Well, was running only H&R's on stock (blown pretty quick) shock/struts and in the winter, save for the free snowplowing (the mayors of Mississauga, Toronto, and Hamilton owe me snowplow pay), the car was fine. Handled great on my winter rims and tires. I eventually got sick of the rear end sag and bounce from the blown struts so went over to Hayame full coilovers (version 2) this past spring. I like them a lot but frankly I wouldn't recommend them because everyone else except me seems to have problems with this particular model. Apparently the Hayame v1's are better.
As for recommendations, there's Tokico and Koni. I haven't had much experience with either brand on a 7thgen vic, but I thoroughly enjoyed the ride in my friend's 1.7EL on Neuspeed Sports (pretty close to H&R) and Koni Yellows. I don't think I've ever ridden in a 7thgen with Tokicos.
Old 11-02-2004
Registered!!

whats the best/cheapest place to buy spring & struts? and have anyone TEIN S-TECH Springs on their vic?
Old 11-02-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Why not hit up one of our vendors? Dezod, Robear, Truehonda, Hondawerx, etc they're all good, all proven...
Old 11-02-2004
Registered!!

thanks so much for the info man! your the coolest dude ive found on this site! your awesome
Old 11-02-2004
Yes, it's an Acura EL

No I'm not. I'm just the one who has too much free time at work. Thanks though.
Old 11-02-2004
Premium Member

Originally Posted by TeLLy
No real need for a camber kit until WAY past 1.5" drop.
I prolly wasnt gonna get a camber kit unless I had wear that I KNEW was from bad camber..
Old 11-02-2004
Registered!!

i think i might just go with h&r's but not sure wich struts. do any sites sell like "pakage deals"?