Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

SHOCK/DAMPER INFORMATION....Stop posting the same fricking questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005
Why is my vagina bleeding?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
The Hp's will be softer, as Tokico is known to be on the "softer" side of performance dampers... But both will be noticeable firmer then OEM. You may want to look at the D-Spec dampers, as you adjust both bump and rebound at the same time (Great for a street damper, not so much for a race damper). what this will allow you to do is Minimize the Bump Rates giving you a softer ride... and when you want a bit of performance you can adjust the rebound to where you need. Unfortunatly because you adjust both rebound and bump at the same time, you'll end up with a comprimise between Both for handling performance. Rebound primarly influences corner entry and exit handling... Bump deals more with ride quality. so as you increase rebound to adjust handling, you'll also be increasing Bump... too much bump valving and you run in to the possibiliy that when you hit bumps the tire may bounce off the ground (due to the higher bump setting not letting the spirngs do their jobs)... So you can see that performance wise you'd have to make a comprimise... But for a street damper, being able to reduce bump for ride quality is a good thing.

Oh ya, I'm not sure if the D-spec or HP has softer valving (Overall)... You may want to contact Tokico and ask.

Cool,

Do diff springs really affect the ride quality. For example will eibach sportlines ride noticibly firmer than eibach pro kit?
Old 04-07-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Spring rates do affect ride qualtiy.. so yes, the softer spring would ride better.
Old 04-07-2005
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nindoo
Cool,

Do diff springs really affect the ride quality. For example will eibach sportlines ride noticibly firmer than eibach pro kit?
Generally, the higher the spring rate the lower the comfort/ride quality. In addition, the lower the spring the less the comfort/ride quality. Springs that lower more also usually having higher spring rates. Sportlines lower more than the prokit and consequently will have a stiffer ride. I think the sportlines are like 30-35% stiffer than stock whereas the prokit is 20-25% stiffer.
Old 04-12-2005
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
I spoke to this dude over at KYB and he said that the GR2s and the AGX aren't meant for neuspeed sport or eibach sportline drops, he said they are meant for very mild drops. What the heck on their website it says the AGX is a racing/ street damper.

Maybe I just sopke to the wrong guy.
Old 04-12-2005
...ever grinning...

JesterMasque is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe... some people just have no idea wtf they're talkin about. I actually got a KYB office/warehouse right down the street from me that I never noticed before! Anyone else got any comments and reccomondations about KYB/Eibach Sportline combos?
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

skydog is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an '04. To this point, I have always thought I was limmited to Koni-ing my stock struts or going to some expensive full coilover setups.

What I'm reading here is that I can simply drill out the bolt holes on any 7th gen civic compatible strut!!!!

What the F@#$ing F@#$!!!!!!!!!

You guys should know that I have called at least three damper manufacturers looking for options. They all gave me the "We have them for the '02" bit and Tokico told me three months ago that they'd have an application for my car in three weeks.

No one mentioned anything about how simple a mod it is. Hell, why do we have to even drill those damn things out? How much would that cost the manufacturer. Its gotta still be worth their while, right?

Those manufacturers don't seem too eager about earning a freakin' buck.

By the way, I have Eibach pro-kit springs, and about 4 to six months of hard driving (the only kind) on them. My stock dampers are definately shot. Are any of the dampers mentioned above in this thread susceptable to the same kind of accelerated wear?
Old 07-05-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
I've had my Tokicos HP & Sportlines on my 04 installed for about 7-8 months now, and I haven't had a problem with either one whatsoever. I rode on OEM shocks & Sportlines for about 3 months or so before I got my Tokicos. When I did, they made a considerable diference in ride confort. The OEM shocks were blown.
^^and yes, if you want HPs, 03-05 model vics require drilling the holes of the front shocks to 16mm.

Last edited by cubanmike26; 07-05-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2005
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute
i read this one guy, CHOIBOI19 is his aim name but he has some Skunk2s' with Tokico's blues. and they fit fine for him.
Old 07-12-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
^what year civic? 2dr/4dr?
pics of installation?
Old 08-22-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

Originally Posted by burke420
i read this one guy, CHOIBOI19 is his aim name but he has some Skunk2s' with Tokico's blues. and they fit fine for him.
i still want to know more info on this setup
Old 08-23-2005
Registered!!

Hazard5 is an unknown quantity at this point
tokico and with progress springs

hey guys. i have progress spring that lower around 2 inch in the back and 1.8 in the front i believe. i was thinking of getting tokico blues. i'm juss want somehting for daily driving because my shocks are totally gone. i've got a 03' civic coupe lx. wat do u guys think? with the tokicos be ok with them? thanks. and any1 know if tokico has made a separate shock for 03+?
Old 08-24-2005

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Hazard5
hey guys. i have progress spring that lower around 2 inch in the back and 1.8 in the front i believe. i was thinking of getting tokico blues. i'm juss want somehting for daily driving because my shocks are totally gone. i've got a 03' civic coupe lx. wat do u guys think? with the tokicos be ok with them? thanks. and any1 know if tokico has made a separate shock for 03+?
Did you even read the first post? It says that tokico's are meant to be lowered on more than 1.75 inches. So NO, tokico's aren't your best option. KYB AGX or Konis are the best way to go. Yes, tokico makes an 03 shock, but you have to order them specifically.
Old 08-31-2005
...ever grinning...

JesterMasque is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by cubanmike26
I've had my Tokicos HP & Sportlines on my 04 installed for about 7-8 months now, and I haven't had a problem with either one whatsoever. I rode on OEM shocks & Sportlines for about 3 months or so before I got my Tokicos. When I did, they made a considerable diference in ride confort. The OEM shocks were blown.
So it seems the Tokiko HP's would be the best bet for me. Thanks cuban! Right now my RF and LR struts are blown. I'll post when I find out how they work out for me.
Old 10-01-2005
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute
well i sure did get some Kyb AGX fit over some Skunk2 coilovers last night, it was tough, but not finshed!
Old 10-30-2005
Registered!!

hdave is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by cubanmike26
^^and yes, if you want HPs, 03-05 model vics require drilling the holes of the front shocks to 16mm.

what about the 50mm vs 55 mm thing for our 04-05 cars?
will that affect us and make osunds or what? i searched a lot and read a lost of posts but dont understand.

i have an 05 sedan and want to get tokico hp blues with neuspeed sport (1.75 / 1.5) as my drop.
Old 10-30-2005

Originally Posted by hdave
what about the 50mm vs 55 mm thing for our 04-05 cars?
will that affect us and make osunds or what? i searched a lot and read a lost of posts but dont understand.

i have an 05 sedan and want to get tokico hp blues with neuspeed sport (1.75 / 1.5) as my drop.
blues don't come in different sizes. Only konis have 50/55mm because you have to fit the damper into the strut.
Old 11-02-2005
Registered!!

MrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of light
I'm looking for a set of konis for my 01, doeas any1 know who has the best deal on them??
Old 12-18-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
i have some ractive coilovers for 01-02 but i have an 04 with 55mm strut housings and the sleeves are too small to fit over the strut...and now im stuck cuz my oem strut shock is appart and i cant get the **** back together...if i get tokicos and drill the crash bolt holes to 16mm my ractives will fit right?
Old 12-31-2005
Registered!!

Hayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of light
I ordered Neuspeed sport springs for my sedan and I was wondering if Tokico Blues (HP) would be alright to use with these I've read that it can't take a drop more the 1.7 and neuspeed sport drops at 1.75(F) & 1.5(R)... just making sure I'm going to order them Wensday if its alright....
I'm not going hardcore track just a smooth ride with an aggressive look
Old 12-31-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

you will be fine with neuspeed sport springs on tokico hp blues. from what i remember, tokico hp's maxium drop was 1.75".

i am no suspension guru, so wait till someone clearifys that as well.
Old 01-01-2006
Registered!!

Hayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of lightHayz is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jttegx
you will be fine with neuspeed sport springs on tokico hp blues. from what i remember, tokico hp's maxium drop was 1.75".

i am no suspension guru, so wait till someone clearifys that as well.
well I searched the threads and it seems that everything should be ok so I ordered Tokico Blues (HP) today can't wait to get them, seems alot of people here have them
so I should get my springs tuesday and the shocks later this week hopefully....
Old 01-01-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
yea the neuspeed sports should go fine with the blues...i got d specs and H&R springs...(d-specs were only 90 more than blues so i said what the hell and got them)
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

5.0calypso93lx is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by robbclark1
READ THIS
All shocks, except for konis, are made for a 2001-2002, so the mount bolts are 14mm not 16mm like in the 2003+. Either you will have to drill them out or hope that the company makes a set for you guys. The can be put on your 2003+ but you run the risk of the mount bolts coming loose and the shock changing camber. There is a rumor that tokico has made 2003+ shocks for the blues, but I am not sure yet.
So are you saying that they don't make shocks for 2001-2002 civics? I thought you just had to buy the 50mm's for 01-02's? The car will have eibach sportlines with koni yellows. Well at least thats what i was planning.
Old 01-17-2006
Registered!!

jr6784 is a jewel in the roughjr6784 is a jewel in the roughjr6784 is a jewel in the rough
i was just wondering how or where you find out the allowable limit on a shock? I got the skunk 2 adjustable coilovers today and looking as to which shock to get and was curious as to how you know how low you can go on the different brands of shocks avaiable for our 7th gens
thanks
Old 01-17-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I'll just save you the trouble.
Buy Konis, end of story. They're the only ones truly valved stiff enough to handle coilover sleeves.
if you do a search of the various shock brands, you'll come across what you can go how low with. The FAQ probably says it too.
Old 01-21-2006
Registered!!

jr6784 is a jewel in the roughjr6784 is a jewel in the roughjr6784 is a jewel in the rough
thanks for the reply boilermaker1
Old 02-02-2006
Registered!!

pacopepe132 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by robbclark1
You have a few options for shocks currently.

Koni Yellow
KYB Gr-2
KYB AGX
Tokico Blues (HP)
Tokico D Spec
Mouton (but these are mad expensive)
Spoon (but these are mad expensive)

1) Koni yellows - The front struts need to be modified for them to fit. There are a few different sizes (50mm or 55mm). These are probably your best bet for autocrossing or road racing if you don't have full coils.

2) KYB Gr-2 - These are not performance shocks. While they are better than OEM they usually can't handle a very low drop. They will improve ride and handling, but aren't meant to be slammed on. They are non-adjustable.

3) KYB AGX - Adjustable shocks good for lowering and some racing. While konis might be better, these are a good alternative. They are either 4 or 8 way adjustable.

4) Tokico Blues (HP) - These are decent shocks. They are non-adjustable. They are probably better than the Gr-2s, but usually can't handle very low drops.

5) Tokico D-Specs - 16 way adjustable shocks. These are probably very close to koni's in terms of performance, but very few people have them just yet.

So in the end if you are racing, adjustable shocks are probably your best bet. Konis are the shock of choice though you have to modify your front struts. The D-Specs and AGXs should do fairly well too. The Blues and the Gr-2s, while better than stock, usually can't handle very low drops or tons of racing. I am not saying it can't be done, I am just saying that isn't their design.

If there is anything wrong with this information, please post and I will correct it. I currently don't know what size konis to pick so that would be a good thing to know. Also, if you want to add anything let me know.
Ok Here is my situation...
I read the whole thread all 8 pages (did the research before venture into asking)
I have neuspeed race shocks ( yellow ones) and I need to replace the front shocks, from what I read here, Koni yellows are a good alternative because of the drop that I have =2.25 in. or the KYB AGX...I was looking for Bilsteins or Konis because that is what neuspeed recommends but the prices are simply outrageous.
anyway my front shocks are blown because I feel them at every bump of the road I need a shock with a shorter "piston" which one is a good alternative for my neuspeed race springs???
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2006
I just burnt my tongue

i would have to say for ur situation either koni's or D-specs or biltens would work cuz the drop is so low...i have d-specs and i love the shocks...wouldnt trade for anything except some tein flex heh
Old 02-24-2006
Registered!!

I have a question about the tokico blues, My understanding is that in order for them to fit on an 04 civic the mounting hole have to be drilled to 16mm is this the only modification that has to be done to them? Does this apply to the rears to or only the fronts? Thanks for the help
Old 02-27-2006
Registered!!

goodtimes is on a distinguished road
you only half to drill the fronts out 16mm no other mods needed