Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

FULL REVIEW ON D2 COILOVERS!(Updated 4.20.04)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004
The Standard One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
the upper strut bar should work perfectly fine with the D2s

Here's a picture of what you need to drill
http://www.webpost.com/vnlilman/_myf...ges/camber.jpg
sorry i know kinda hard to see and its a different suspension but if i have time i'll try to get pics of the D2s and what you have to drill.

BUT as i said, if you get the EP3 ones you probably wont have to drill it. But you might want to get custom spring rates because their spring rates are different from ours. Ours normally come with 6kg up front 8kg rear, i think theirs come with 8kg front and 10kg rear. You can always use their spring rates but it'll cause for a stiffer ride, some people like it some people dont...
Old 04-23-2004
Registered!!

7gen03 is an unknown quantity at this point
links not working?
Old 04-23-2004
The Standard One

fixed
Old 04-24-2004
Registered!!

botlbobjr is an unknown quantity at this point
thanx ill see if they can order the seperate spring rate with next shipment
Old 04-24-2004
Registered!!

7gen03 is an unknown quantity at this point
how did you drill the soltted hole.?
Old 04-24-2004
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
What's your current setting for the shocks?
Old 04-24-2004
Registered!!

JCiv03 is on a distinguished road
Sorry but this is a newb question. I understand that the D2 coilovers need to be modified (drilled) to fit the 03 civics. Do the hayames also need to be modified? The Hayame thread was too large to search through. Thanks
Old 04-25-2004
Registered!!

AJCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes the hayames need to be drilled out to. Just take a 16mm drill bit and it will make the hole the perfect size. Just make sure when you drill out the top hole which is more oval shaped since it is used to fix camber, you still make it oval and not just have a bigger hole thru the smaller oval one, because then you can't fix camber.
Old 04-25-2004
Registered!!

Yoyoio is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by JCiv03
Sorry but this is a newb question. I understand that the D2 coilovers need to be modified (drilled) to fit the 03 civics. Do the hayames also need to be modified? The Hayame thread was too large to search through. Thanks
or get D2 for EP3, camber bolt is already 16mm, but i don't know about the rest. VNlilMAN mention it will fit, and he didn't say any mod is needed, so i guess is direct bolt on.
Old 04-25-2004
The Standard One

7gen03, I think you can used a tapered drill bit

SlammedBlueEM2, you can turn it 6 full times.
The front I have it 2 turns away from softest(I think i'm going to change it to 1 turn now that I put back my 18s)
The rear I have it turned 1 turn away from stiffest.

Yoyoio, you actually shouldnt use the dc5(i'm assuming thats what you meant) cause there are things that are slightly different BUT yes you should be able to use the EP3 ones. Only thing is they come with different spring rates(8kg/10kg) so your going to have to order custom spring rates(6kg/8kg) unless if you want to use the stiffer ones.
Old 04-25-2004
Registered!!

K7gcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Just would like to make a post about the D2's as well. I got these on last weekend. Both front and back are on the softest setting. I am currently riding on 205/40/17's and the ride is very impressive so far. I can still feel the bumps of the road a little b/c of the tires I believe, but other than that the ride is pretty smooth going over bumps which use to make me bottom out w/ my ground controls and stock struts. NOTE: after installation the front springs would creak and pop when turning slow or turning the wheel. This was fixed by tighting the 2nd locknut (the bottom one) good and tight up against the other one. This should be really tight or you'll still get a lil' creaking. (no biggie) just thought I would throw it out there for you guys. So far everything else has been ok and best of all the ride is smooth.

Also purchased mine through urban import, had no problems.
Old 04-25-2004
Registered!!

Yoyoio is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by K7gcivic
Just would like to make a post about the D2's as well. I got these on last weekend. Both front and back are on the softest setting. I am currently riding on 205/40/17's and the ride is very impressive so far. I can still feel the bumps of the road a little b/c of the tires I believe, but other than that the ride is pretty smooth going over bumps which use to make me bottom out w/ my ground controls and stock struts. NOTE: after installation the front springs would creak and pop when turning slow or turning the wheel. This was fixed by tighting the 2nd locknut (the bottom one) good and tight up against the other one. This should be really tight or you'll still get a lil' creaking. (no biggie) just thought I would throw it out there for you guys. So far everything else has been ok and best of all the ride is smooth.

Also purchased mine through urban import, had no problems.
Good to hear,

also thank VNlilMAN for answering all da Q
Old 04-25-2004
Registered!!

jwsisme is an unknown quantity at this point
K7gcivic- How much did you lower it?
How's does it ride on the freeway?
Anyway know what the minimum drop is?

Thanks, James
Old 04-26-2004
The Standard One

minimum drop? get out of my thread.. your not wanted here...
j/p bro
I'm not sure cause i dumped it the first day I got it but i think its 1". Dont quote me on that tho.
Old 04-26-2004
Registered!!

Pn0ybOiLiKehOy is on a distinguished road
damn i want those, but i just got my konis installed =( oh well, thatll be my next set
Old 04-26-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
VNlilMAN

Is the only difference in installing these D2's as oppose to the Hayames, is the brake line brackets? Do you need to weld the brakets?

You had me all hyped up about the Hayames, but I'm guessing urban imports has the D2s in stock.

Why do you need to get an alignment after you change the suspension?

Why can't the world be a better place and let Urban Imports have the Hayames in stock!!!
Old 04-26-2004
The Standard One

Well not sure if you'd consider it part of installation but the way you adjust the height is different. And the D2s also dont come with rear top mounts so you need to use the stock ones. The front installation is pretty much the same except yeah, the brake line bracket. You dont need to weld it, just place the bracket on the bolt before you tighten it up.

UrbanImport just ran out of D2s as well. They should receive another shipment in like a month. I think they're getting the hayames really soon tho.

Anytime you lower the car, your going to have more negative camber. This is pretty much a guarentee. Also things arent going to be lined up exactly the way it was before you touched the suspension, this will also change the alignment. Especially when you put in new struts, the strut design isnt going to match the stock strut designed 100% so that will throw the alignment off big time depending on how different it is. But ya its just something that recommend anytime you touch the suspension ESPECIALLY when you change the shocks/struts.
Old 04-26-2004

So if I get the hayames and plan on dropping my car approximately 2 inches, do you think I'll need a camber kit, or I could do without one ?

Do you think its a bad idea for me to go the honda dealer to have my alignment done after I install the suspension? The reason I ask is because they owe me one free alignment.
Old 04-26-2004
The Standard One

yeah you probably will need one for 2". Just the rear(since the fronts already come with it)

Eh you can try but they probably wont do it since its a lowered car... I went to discount tires and they hassled me saying it wouldnt fit on their rack. but ya doesnt hurt to try, only thing is they might give you a lecture and tell you how you voided your suspension warranty
Old 04-27-2004

Will they also give me a lecture if I have negative camber?

There is a garage that modifes cars, I'll bring it to them, and I guess they will also let me know if the installation is good or not.

Is it better to drop it less and get use t the car first? Maybe an Inch and a half.

Anything I need to watch out for when setting up the kit? Adjustments and stuff?
Old 04-27-2004
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
a garage that modifies cars will most likely not have a wheel alignment machine. You have to take it to a wheel shop most likely, but ask the speed shop where they take their cars. No one should give you a lecture about camber, just tell them to shut up and align the car to what specs you want. Just take it to Honda and say you want -.5 camber front, and -.75 camber rear and 0 toe all around. that isn't perfect OEM but it is well within specs.

put everything on, let it settle, see how you like the drop and adjust accordingly to fit your needs. A week or two with negative camber won't kill anything. Make all your adjustments before you get it aligned. Make sure there is NOT a lot of preload on the front or rear springs. Preload (changing the springs height) does not change the height of the car on Hayames. Turning the shock in and out of the mount changes the height
Old 04-27-2004

Soemone told me I could keep the height stock, and get the alignment done and then adjust the height lower afterwards. Is he right?

What does it mean to have a a .5 camber in the front and a .75 camber in the rear. Does stock come with 0 camber?
Old 04-27-2004

Soemone told me I could keep the height stock, and get the alignment done and then adjust the height lower afterwards. Is he right?

What does it mean to have a a .5 camber in the front and a .75 camber in the rear. Does stock come with 0 camber?

Sorry for all the questions I am a novice.
Old 04-27-2004

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
No you can't keep stock height with coilovers. They automatically lower your car. No you don't set it high, get it aligned and then lower it. That is just dumb and tell that person he needs to go find out about vehicle dynamics. If you lower or raise you move the pivot points thus changing camber and toe. Every time you adjust the coils you should get an alignment, but it isn't necessary unless something is way out of wack or you changed the settings very severely.

yes factory settings is 0 camber, but 0 camber sucks for turning. -.5 and -.75 will give you a little inner tire wear but not much, but it will help with turning. why lower if your suspension settings suck right?
Old 04-27-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
7gen03, Glad you brought that up. I've been meaning to add it to my review... They meant to make it like that. Reason being when you autocross you usually want as much negative camber as well as POSITIVE CASTER. The way the plates are positioned you get two in one basically. If you want proof here it is..
"If you are a competition driver who frequently runs autocross, track or road race events, you'll typically want the maximum negative camber, maximum positive caster and most aggressive toe settings available from the car and permitted by the competition rules. If the rules permit, aftermarket camber plates and caster adjustments are good investments."
taken from http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...neral/align.jsp
I'll go further in depth later...
__________________________________________________ __________
Thanks for your reply, regarding your question about ES1, actually our
pillowball top mount is designed not only for adjust camber but also
including adjust caster, according the pictures that you sent to me,
this is
correct , the newest and also the best setting , such as BMW, BENZ,
and
porsche. The caster angle will be obliquer than normal street purpose,
and
also the veer of steering will be more accurate.
You still can't adjust them on the fly. Regardless of how they're positioned, you can't get the toe straight thanks to the steering arm. You will have mad toe in and the car becomes undrivable. This is speaking from experience, then numerous phone calls to everyone who had camber plates available at the time (Tein, JIC, Hotchkis, and Ground Control) to try and figure out what wasn't right. You can't make on the spot adjustments without doing the whole alignment over. So even if you can put extra caster in, you still need to set it, align it and leave it.
Old 04-27-2004

Regardless of the car changing the camber will change the toe, it just happens that the new steering arm makes it more dramatic.
Old 04-27-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Well yeah, you used to be able to still drive it, it'd just feel loose. Now you can't.
Old 04-27-2004
The Standard One

I wonder if changing the caster helps out with the toe issue? example if positive camber gives you toe-in would positive caster give you toe-out, thus helping that out a bit?
Old 04-27-2004

iJudging from the stock suspension Negative caster will give you toe in and positive caster will give you toe out, like you said. Unfortunately we don't have much room for caster play unless you get a caster plate and possibly cut your strut housing. hmmm limitless opportunities to mess with this, just no $$, time or track time. I don't know how much caster will help though. Someone will have to try it.
Old 04-27-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ Just remember Robbclark and Boilermaker, if you want to remain in STS The center clearance hole may not be modified.

Rule 17.8 Section C.

other wise, How many people here acutally race their car or even care how much camber/caster/toe they have. most will just have the car aligned with in factory specs and call it a day. The rest of us will just deal with the little problems because we want that last tenth on the track.

Quick Reply: FULL REVIEW ON D2 COILOVERS!(Updated 4.20.04)