Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

FULL REVIEW ON D2 COILOVERS!(Updated 4.20.04)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
you mentioned you have 5 different types of suspsension...

What brands did you use?
Which one was the best out of all? Or did you only upgrade to get a better suspension?
Old 04-20-2004
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
--Neuspeed Sports: rode fairly nice for something on stock shocks. It was actually bareable.. Only thing was it wasnt low enough at all.
--Ground Controls: one word HORRIBLE!, handlings sucked, bottomed out all the time, too bouncy, too soft...
--Neuspeed Race: Drop was awesome but the ride wasnt great. I would bottom out from time to time. My friend had it on his 01 but it rode perfectly fine tho. I think the 01's gave more shock travel
--Hayame: It was just a great deal so I had to get it, i mean come on $650 for some full coils, how can you turn it down. Loved the fact that you can slam it. I was slightly lower than i was with the neuspeed race and best of all it NEVER bottomed out. The ride was fairly nice and all but I thought it could have been better.
--D2: I wanted something with adjustable damper and for $850, why not. The quality on them also looked amazing. Rides really nice, and its good enough where my dad doesnt mind getting in my car so much so this is probably what i'll stick with.
Old 04-20-2004
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
movin on up

The reason I asked that is because I want to lower my ride.. Im thinking Tein S Springs... But, If these coilovers are good I may get these or tein basics... (Im low on money right now... So, I think i may just get springs)
Old 04-20-2004
The Standard One

haha ya.. next thing you know imma have endless zeals on my car

ya if your going to keep stock shocks, stick to lowering springs.
I wouldnt recommend tein basics, for the same price I rather get D2s. D2s just offer SOO much more than basics.
Old 04-20-2004
Registered!!

7gen03 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok now if you have a camber plate on the top mount why the hell do you need a slotted hole on the lower knuckle mount? They basically do the same thing. Oh is that 36 way dampining adjustable seperatly compression and rebound or is it both together? Unlike the hayames and tien flexs and jic every time you lower thw spring you essentialy shorting the strook of the dampener(strut) Which like lowering springs on stock struts cause a harder ride. I think thats why they have the 36 way adjustablity to make up for that loss.

Last edited by 7gen03; 04-20-2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-20-2004
The Standard One

the slotted is for when you get the alignment. The camber plate is for when you want to autocross or something and dial in more negative camber
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

Yoyoio is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey VNlilMAN, is both of your lock nut at the lowest setting on the threaded shock? cuz you mention you're on your lowest setting right now. Do you get what i mean?
Old 04-21-2004
The Standard One

ya i'm dropped at its lowest... 2.2-2.5" no gap all around which is still lower than tein and pretty much as low as most people are going to go anyways
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

RedEU is an unknown quantity at this point
what about durability of these?
Old 04-21-2004
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by RedEU
what about durability of these?
Isn't it sorta early to tell?
Old 04-21-2004
The Standard One

Ya, its kinda early to really say but looking at the quality it looks like it should last quite awhile. You also have the 1 year warranty. I'm sure it'll last a lot longer than stock shocks tho
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

juscallmetoyota is an unknown quantity at this point
I also ordered a set of D2's frm Michael @ urban import last week. Just got around to installing them last night and no problems at all. Everything bolted up just fine and installation was a breeze. The only real downside i can think of is you have to attach a bracket to the lower camber bolt to hold the brake line but other than that, so far worth every penny.

Ride quality:
Great. The rears are set to Firm. The fronts are set 1/2 way. A lil bouncy but not bad. I was running tein s-tech's before w/ oem struts and the ride was alot more bouncier. I also hit a few familar bumps in the road and w/ the D2's, they absorb the bumps alot better than the teins.

Height:
The fronts, I still have about an inch left to go lower. On the rears I still have about a 1/2" to go lower.

Overall, I am satisified w/ the purchase. Thanks Michael @ urban import for the great service. I'll post pics in a couple of mins.. uploading them right now.
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

picss...

Fronts

Rears

Old 04-21-2004
The Standard One

bro.. you need to take that tein sticker off
Old 04-21-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by VNlilMAN
bro.. you need to take that tein sticker off
haha.. ya.. too lazy too right now.
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

Yoyoio is an unknown quantity at this point
any weird nose from the coilover?
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

botlbobjr is an unknown quantity at this point
Very interested ! Have a few questions.

What issues do you speak of w/ 03 civics LX ?
Something about a bolt

I really want these for price and quality.
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

I am not sure but from these pics it looks like the upper camber plates are useless> The bolts cant move either way and they shoul slide on the purple piece right? NUmbers 1-4 i circled so you can see what i mean the **** #5 looks nice but i am still wondering about the camber plates. Also the axis that the camber is adjusted on is no perpendicular with the the axis of the wheel meaning that if camber is adjusted it also screws up toe and caster.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	105_0528.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	27392  

Last edited by 7gen03; 04-22-2004 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice. I wish I had the money. I like the sportyness of my eibach pro, but I want a better drop.
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

GaryC17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by 7gen03
I am not sure but from these pics it looks like the upper camber plates are useless> The bolts cant move either way and they shoul slide on the purple piece right? NUmbers 1-4 i circled so you can see what i mean the **** #5 looks nice but i am still wondering about the camber plates. Also the axis that the camber is adjusted on is no perpendicular with the the axis of the wheel meaning that if camber is adjusted it also screws up toe and caster.
Can you see the other hole in between the 2 at each side that you circled ? The holes cater for another mounting point for the camber adjustment bolts. So you can adjust the camber without any car frame mods.
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

ok i see now its hard to till from pics thanks just trying to clear up a few questions. BUt what about the way the camber gets adjusted Like i stated before. Is there a way to index the mount so the adjustment in camber is sisde to side instead of like it is in the pic almost front to back.
Old 04-22-2004
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
Very nice!
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

GaryC17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by 7gen03
ok i see now its hard to till from pics thanks just trying to clear up a few questions. BUt what about the way the camber gets adjusted Like i stated before. Is there a way to index the mount so the adjustment in camber is sisde to side instead of like it is in the pic almost front to back.
Perhaps the top mount has to be shifted so that the camber adjustment is more prominent side to side with a slight adjustment. You might want to ask Vnilman about this one.
Old 04-22-2004
The Standard One

So far no weird noises... Usually noises are an installation issue anyways

botlbobjr, yes you will have to drill the camber bolts a little bigger BUT you can always get the EP3 ones(since they use the same size) and just get custom spring rates(or just use theirs). That should work just fine..

7gen03, Glad you brought that up. I've been meaning to add it to my review... They meant to make it like that. Reason being when you autocross you usually want as much negative camber as well as POSITIVE CASTER. The way the plates are positioned you get two in one basically. If you want proof here it is..
"If you are a competition driver who frequently runs autocross, track or road race events, you'll typically want the maximum negative camber, maximum positive caster and most aggressive toe settings available from the car and permitted by the competition rules. If the rules permit, aftermarket camber plates and caster adjustments are good investments."
taken from http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...eral/align.jsp
I'll go further in depth later...
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
^^^DONT forget the og e-mail from d2
and where he talks about ES1 for you that dont know thats, the 7thgen 4dr oooh yea no one likes ur em2 =P hahah naw but thats what they know over there only 4drs

Thanks for your reply, regarding your question about ES1, actually our
pillowball top mount is designed not only for adjust camber but also
including adjust caster, according the pictures that you sent to me,
this is
correct , the newest and also the best setting , such as BMW, BENZ,
and
porsche. The caster angle will be obliquer than normal street purpose,
and
also the veer of steering will be more accurate.

Last edited by dj02; 04-22-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

AJCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Where can I buy a set of the D2 coilovers i looked at urbanimport website and it doesn't have a way to buy them, how can I get them.
Old 04-22-2004
The Standard One

Call or e-mail them
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by VNlilMAN
So far no weird noises... Usually noises are an installation issue anyways

botlbobjr, yes you will have to drill the camber bolts a little bigger BUT you can always get the EP3 ones(since they use the same size) and just get custom spring rates(or just use theirs). That should work just fine..

7gen03, Glad you brought that up. I've been meaning to add it to my review... They meant to make it like that. Reason being when you autocross you usually want as much negative camber as well as POSITIVE CASTER. The way the plates are positioned you get two in one basically. If you want proof here it is..
"If you are a competition driver who frequently runs autocross, track or road race events, you'll typically want the maximum negative camber, maximum positive caster and most aggressive toe settings available from the car and permitted by the competition rules. If the rules permit, aftermarket camber plates and caster adjustments are good investments."
taken from http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...eral/align.jsp
I'll go further in depth later...
Cool Thats what i needed alittle 411 on the the topic Thanks did a little research myself and i agree No more questions no its just time to wait for the next shipment so i can see how they ride. It was these or hayames and i went with these will see. I wont be the only one to change his suspension more then once.
Old 04-23-2004
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a neuspeed upper sturt bar will it be ok (out of the way)??? let me know guys???
Old 04-23-2004
Registered!!

botlbobjr is an unknown quantity at this point
[quote]botlbobjr, yes you will have to drill the camber bolts a little bigger BUT you can always get the EP3 ones(since they use the same size) and just get custom spring rates(or just use theirs). That should work just fine..[quote]

Can u direct me as to what pieces i need to mod by a pic or possibly show me a site where i could buy them

And why would i need custom spring rates?

Sort of a newb to suspension.

thanx

Quick Reply: FULL REVIEW ON D2 COILOVERS!(Updated 4.20.04)