Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Can you go to far with suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
Can you go to far with suspension?

It seems like new parts are being made all the time, Im just wondering if you can go to far with suspension or what would you consider to be the perfect setup whether for autocross daily driving or whatever? i have a neuspeed front upper strut bar and im trying to think or what to get next, i have an ex and ive heard the progress front doesnt fit right , so does suspension techniques or any other, also which is better read anti roll bar neuspeed or progress, but also how much of a chance would it hit the exhaust, sorry for all the question just very confusing fron x brace to sway bars to the tanabe brace and all of that
Old 01-05-2004
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
do you have anything else other than front strut bar? because front strut bar doesnt really do a whole lot... get some lowering springs or rear sway and you'll notice a huge difference
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

berettagtz117 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am wondering the same thing because they say that the progress kit does fit up perfect with ex models with factory sway bar already installed and on the lx and dx models you have to get the hardware kit, and I also here it dont mount up right on ex models? What is the true deal behind it all? I am probally just going to go with neuspeed or comptech myself for sway bars..
Old 01-05-2004
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
yea for now all i have is a front strut bar but next will be either the neuspeed or progress or suspension techniques rear sway bar? so many choices
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

Wouldnt this one fit since it is for an rsx and theres will fit on ours?

http://www.dezodmotorsports.com/pd_c...r_sway_bar.cfm
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

Drnknmnky13 is an unknown quantity at this point
The progress 22mm is a little aggressive for the streets. I have one and I wish I would have gotten the 19mm. At the limit the car wants to oversteer like a ****. It can be a little scary on long sweeping turns like on ramps. If you get a 22mm I suggest you get a stiffer front sway to even things out. That may be what I end up doing since I don't want to buy another rear and go through the hassle of selling mine. The front tie bar makes a big diff...whoever said it doesn't either doesn't go around a corner very fast or just doesn't know wtf they are talking about. I noticed a big difference on turn in with mine.

Also the progress has been known to have an issue with clearance on exhaust. When I first installed mine it hit all the time. I tweaked the hangers and now there is about a 1/2 inch of space. It does hit when starting the car every now and then. I used a sliced innertube and wrapped it around the bar where it came in contact with the muffler. No more rattle (got this idea from a member..whoever it was...thanks).

Good luck. Hope this helped more than confused

Last edited by Drnknmnky13; 01-05-2004 at 02:50 AM.
Old 01-05-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
The progress front sway bar had problems with the EX cat, because progress did testing on a LX. They fixed that problem so the front bars do clear the EX cat now so no worries. and if i had to choose between neuspeed and progress, get the progress because it is cheaper and exactly the same thing. Even if you upgrade to the 19mm RSX rear bar you still get some banging against the exhaust.

You have to decide what you want your car to do. We can sit here all day and tell you what is best for us, but in the end, you need to decide what kind of parts you want. I mean some people can't justify spending alot of money on JIC or Tein Flex coilovers and are perfectly happy with Tein basic. So with that said, what do you want your car to do?
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

Good point and thankyou for the info robbclark1, that definately has me "Swaying" towards the progress sway bar...
Old 01-05-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
It seems like new parts are being made all the time, Im just wondering if you can go to far with suspension or what would you consider to be the perfect setup whether for autocross daily driving or whatever?
Different setups for different applications and skill level. Drnknmnky13 brought up a perfect example, with the 22mm rear bar causing a lot of oversteer. Personally I'd love to have that, because 1. I autocross a lot and the extra oversteer would help me there and 2. Ive learned what to do and what not to do in an oversteer situation. If some one were to put that bar on their car that had no experiance in dealing with an *** happy car then it would be very dangerous.

as far as a "Perfect setup".... that is determined by what you plan do do with the car, what types of serfaces you drive on (rough or smooth) and how you want the car to handle different situations and the biggest influence is how much $$$ do you want to invest (Primary reason I Disconnected my front anti-roll bar) If I had the $$$ I would get the comptech addjustible rear bar, an 03 front bar (15mm). but since I dont, I'll stick with my 19mm rear bar, and just disconnect my front one and get simmilar handling chariteristics with a minor increace in body roll on the front.

then theres shocks and springs.... gah a whole nother problem. you have to figure out how rough of a ride your willing to put up with (and yes there is a such a thing as too stiff), then get the right shocks to control the springs...... goes on and on .

My reccomiendation is, go slowly. change one part at a time and evolve your handling.

You need to learn how to use it before it becomes any use to you......
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

Well here is what I was thinking 1 JDM Type R 22mm Rear Sway bar compliments of hondawerx w/ rear tie bar also dunno what kind yet, 27 mm progress front sway bar w/ spoon sports tie bar, Or use the 19mm Type S rear Sway bar instead of Type R, with Neuspeed race springs. What you all think.... Is this going to be good or bad??
Old 01-05-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
well what do you want from the car? and what other things (suspension wise) have you doine? Springs? shocks?

Need a bit more info before I make a judgement call.....

Personally I'd just run the 22mm rear bar and keep the stock front. or go pick up the 01 front bar (25.4mm) rather then the 27mm bar... but thats just me.
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

Well for now I am going with Neuspeed race, later I will get Koni yellows or something when I get more funds. I dont plan on autocrossing, just driving fast around corners and around town.
Old 01-05-2004
Autocross Junky

to be safe, go with a 22mm rear and a 27mm front. that way you'll have some better handling (less understeer) but you won't get terminal oversteer.

For me... Im pretty much sold on Comptechs adjustable rear anti-roll bar, and an 03's stock front bar (15mm). Must have oversteer.......
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

I was told that you will get more rear end movement with the 22mm over the 19mm type s rear sway bar. I just want to get the best handling possible for my daily driving and cornering. So if it is with the 22m rear and 27mm front then so be it, thats what I will.
Old 01-05-2004
Autocross Junky

if you had the stock front bar and just upgraded the rear to a 22mm then yes the car would be a bit *** happy. by adding the 27mm front bar you will remove a lot of that oversteer tendency, but then the car will understeer earlier.... its all about tuning for your application.
Old 01-05-2004
Premium Member

thats the same as me i like to have fun with my car drive through mountains fast and stuff like that, also i might try autocrossing, so im just trying to pick which tie bars to get cause i know iwill also get kw coilovers as well
Old 01-05-2004
Autocross Junky

Tie bars do a different job then anti-roll bars....

Tie bar/strut bar- Chassis reinforcement.
Anti-rollbars, sway bars, ect....- Part of the suspension, basically a torsion bar that helps the springs 1. reduce body roll and 2. adjust the roll couple (influencing handling).

well, as far as the best set up for that...... It really depends on how experiance/good you are at driving. For average drivers, your going to want something that still wants to understeer at the limits, that way when you make a mistake the concequences arent as bad as if you mess up with a car that wants to oversteer... but if you konw how to drive it, a car that slightly oversteers will be much quicker through the corners..... but only if you know how to use it.