Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Yes, another koni thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sffree is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, another koni thread

Ok.. so I've pinpointed my problem with my rear koni yellows. I've had this 'creaking' noise that only happens when I go over bumps, dips, driveways, and the like. Basically, my koni rear shocks' ball joint end that connects to the control arm is not fitting well with the factory honda setup. So, my 'authorized' koni installer manufactured a hard plastic shim to tighten the fit. He got rid of my first noise problem (a high squeeling thhat happened ALL THE TIME the car was in motion) but.. it looks as if he had to bang the shock end into place to get it to fit... the bushing is all tight and twisted too.... WHAT THE hell!? It doesn't seem like anyone here has experienced that problem... does anyone know what would cause this? Do they make an aftermarket control arm that better fits aftermarket suspension parts???? HELP PLEASE.. I'm so tired of spending money on the same damn thing... thanks all..
Old 10-15-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CivicHX01 is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm... i've never heard of this problem before... but maybe you should try greasing those bushings up before you put them in there....
Old 10-15-2003
Banned

sexcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i had to hit my rear koni's with a rubber mallet to get it into place....
Old 10-16-2003
Registered!!

yeah, I've had them greased and it does nothing... I don't get why nobody else is having this problem. I guess I have to wait for Koni to manufacture a replacement bushing that comes with the rear shocks. Does the control arm have a bushing? or is it part of the shock? cuz if Its a part of the control arm then perhaps I can get a new one that might fit better?
Old 10-16-2003
Registered!!

Blkcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah i have the same problem, the guy that installed for me said my bushing is worned out and in place???
Old 10-16-2003
Registered!!

damnit .. finally thank you. my installer said that koni knows of this "issue" but that I would have to wait until they come up with a replacement.
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

keep on koni.. cause they're replacing my rear shocks with an apparently modified pair that better meshes with the honda control arm.. I'm still unsure of the exact problem.. but if they're gonna replace em free.. than hell... I'll gfive it a shot...
Old 10-22-2003
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
its funny but after reading this thread a while back, my rear strut started to to the same thing. It was the lower bushing just like yours. I just took the strut out a minute ago to check it out and saw that the lower bushing had moved to one side. It sits flush on one side and sticks out a bit on the other...a little crooked. I'm going to put it in a press and try to get it centered again. Hopefully that helps. Its only one side ...for now. That little freaking squeek got annoying real fast. Keep us posted on what Koni says if anything. I still have my receipt.
Old 10-22-2003
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Ok I pressed the bushing as close to center as I could and reinstalled the offending strut. I also put a little grease on the lower shock bolt (not the threads) and on the sides of the shock bushing just to make sure that everything that should move does. No more squeaky Hopefully it does not come back for a while. FYI this took me about 45 minutes to do...
Old 10-22-2003
Registered!!

I'm glad to hear a koni tragedy averted. They have some replacement fix rear shocks for the later model civics... don't know the technicals but I was just glad to be offered a 'fix' and for free no less... I hope it stops my squeaks...
Old 10-25-2003
Registered!!

so yeah.. I'm still waiting for the replacement rear shocks and am wondering if the bushing on the lower control arms will have to be replaced? I've been told that this 'problem' or 'issue' is simply an annoyance but that creaking doesn't sound good for the car...