Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Drum rub

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough
Drum rub

Did the front discs on my 2001 Civic. While checking the rear drum brakes I noticed the right rear would rub at one spot as I spun the wheel. The only thing I can think of is the drum is out of round or a wheel bearing issue. Anyway to tell what it could be? It doesn't drag much but I know it must not be spinning perfectly round.
Old 03-12-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Drum rub

It doesn't drag much
Is it bad enough you can feel it while driving?
THAT'S when it's become a problem.

If it is causing vibration/pulsation issues while braking, you could have the drums resurfaced.
(if you can't tell if vibration is coming from front or rear brakes, try using the handbrake to slow the car to a stop)

If it is not causing vibrations while braking, I would not worry about it.
Old 03-12-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scout1 will become famous soon enoughScout1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scout1
Did the front discs on my 2001 Civic. While checking the rear drum brakes I noticed the right rear would rub at one spot as I spun the wheel. The only thing I can think of is the drum is out of round or a wheel bearing issue. Anyway to tell what it could be? It doesn't drag much but I know it must not be spinning perfectly round.
I don't feel or hear anything while driving. It isn't bad enough to stop the wheel if I spin it kind of fast it will make the rub sound a few times then stop. Just wondering what would have made the drum get out of round. I guess I will let it go. I have other cars with bigger problems LOL.
Old 03-12-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Just a sound while spinning it in the air? You won't hear that while driving LOL
As long as it doesn't cause pulsation I wouldn't worry about it

I don't really see drum issues on these even with a ton of rust. Rust buildup might scrape the backing plate, but servicewise they have been very reliable.

About the only thing I've seen that would cause (root cause) drum warp is getting the drums really really hot then setting the park brake super hard.