Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

weird tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about
weird tire wear

I was rotating the tires today and noticed this tire when I took it off the front left. It looks like it's a camber problem but it's only on one side of the tire. Any ideas what could of caused this?

Going to take it for an alignment this week/weekend so hopefully that'll sort it out.

Here's the worn side, obviously looks like the wheel was leaning in too much.

Name:  tire1.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  573.0 KB

But rotate the tire 180 degrees and this is what the other side looks like. Looks like it's still brand new almost.

Name:  tire2.jpg
Views: 2493
Size:  631.0 KB
Old 10-06-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: weird tire wear

toe is off. camber does not kill tires, toe does
Old 10-06-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

oh, wait, is it the same tire? If so, something in brakes rotor or the bearing/hub is off? they are the only things that follow the tires, other than cocked install of wheels and the wheels themselves.
Old 10-06-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Combination of negative camber (normal) and too much toe-out. Needs tire(s) before you go through to the cords.

EDIT: Wait.... If only half of the tire is toast it's probably slipped a belt through the worn side. Spin that sucker and see if there's a lump through the bald patch.
Old 10-07-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
oh, wait, is it the same tire?
yeah which is what baffled me, if it was worn down the whole way around it would make sense, but I couldn't figure out how it wear on the "bottom" of the tire and not on the "top"

Originally Posted by ezone
EDIT: Wait.... If only half of the tire is toast it's probably slipped a belt through the worn side. Spin that sucker and see if there's a lump through the bald patch.
what do you mean slipped a belt? is that something that would happen on the inside of the tire or something? it doesn't appear that anything has come through the rubber.
Old 10-07-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drhawkinz

what do you mean slipped a belt? is that something that would happen on the inside of the tire or something? it doesn't appear that anything has come through the rubber.
(for lack of better explanation by a tire expert) Steel belt damaged, shifted, or broken, within the rubber casing, causing the tread supporting surface to be uneven or no longer perfectly round.

Sdaidoji?

Name:  NylA5.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  669 Bytes

Last edited by ezone; 10-08-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by ezone
(for lack of better explanation by a tire expert) Steel belt damaged, shifted, or broken, within the rubber casing, causing the tread surface to be uneven or no longer perfectly round.

Sdaidoji?
potentially, yeah. Can't say for sure. I would go back to the place you bought the tire and ask them to take a look. If online retailer, this could be a tire return complain. Again, hard to tell...
Old 10-08-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

That is some strange tire wear!!
Old 10-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

I have read this can also happen from bad shocks, though I have never personally seen it.

It wouldn't surprise me if a warped brake or bent wheel could have caused this too.
Old 10-08-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
I have read this can also happen from bad shocks, though I have never personally seen it.
Yeah that's the guy at Just Tires said, still seems weird to me.

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
I would go back to the place you bought the tire and ask them to take a look. If online retailer, this could be a tire return complain. Again, hard to tell...
Unfortunately they were on the car when I bought it about 2 years ago, so no luck there.

Went to Just Tires last night and got it aligned. They toe was out pretty bad, camber is off too but I guess our cars need a custom camber kit to be able to adjust any of that. Car drives really smooth now. Still doesn't explain the wear on that tire but hopefully it'll hold on long enough so I can replace all 4 tires at once and get some new rims for it, the busted hub caps look pretty crappy.