Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Need some help picking out new rotors & brake pads for my 02 lx coupe ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topgeari4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need some help picking out new rotors & brake pads for my 02 lx coupe ...

Hey guys,

Currently my car has about 54,000 and the brakes are starting to get really really low, I was wondering if someone can recommend to me which brand of rotors i should go with... I dont need any performance ones like brembos or anything just ones that are factory replacements....

thanks
Old 01-14-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need some help picking out new rotors & brake pads for my 02 lx coupe ...

If there isn't a problem with vibration when braking and the rotors aren't rusted all to he**, I'd just slap a set of factory pads on it.
Old 01-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-motors...nomy-brake.cfm
Old 01-14-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

If your rotors arent warped, just get them resurfaced by a shop.

OEM rotors are the best for our cars

As for pads there are a great variety to choose from. Hawks hps or hawk ceramic is an awesome choice that is much much better than the OEM pads

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 01-14-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Stay away from cheap eBay pads and rotors. Especially I'd they are drilled and slotted
Old 01-14-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

+1 on these for just a budget pad change
Old 01-14-2012

Hawk pads will run you about 50$ shipped. And resurfacing will be about $20 total.

Heck, even the autozone duralast gold ceramic ones are really good.
Old 01-15-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

54k? I am at 104k and the rotors are still a long way to go.
just pads
Old 01-15-2012

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
54k? I am at 104k and the rotors are still a long way to go.
just pads
That's y I said just tO resurface the rotors. No need to buy new ones. Plus, the new ones (like the one in the dezod link) won't be as good quality as the OEM ones
Old 01-17-2012
Registered!!

When i brake hard there is no vibration, a squeaking noise just comes when im at a stop and i let off the brake or if im going like below 10mph and i release the brakes the same sound comes ...

I dont think my rotors are rusted (im guess if they were or if they were warped vibration would occur)

the Hawk HPS Street brake pads go for $68.58 shipped on tirerack, i guess ill do some price searching online and then order those...
Old 01-17-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

$58.50 from Dezod

http://www.dezod.com/pd_hawk_performance.cfm
Old 01-17-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Topgeari4
squeaking noise just comes when im at a stop and i let off the brake or if im going like below 10mph and i release the brakes the same sound comes ...
HOLD IT! HOLD IT! HOLD IT!
Does it squeak when you aren't moving, just pumping the brake pedal?

Stick your head out the window. Is it coming from the rear of the car?
Old 01-17-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
HOLD IT! HOLD IT! HOLD IT!
Does it squeak when you aren't moving, just pumping the brake pedal?

Stick your head out the window. Is it coming from the rear of the car?
And also, try pulling and releasing the parking brake and see if you get the noise when releasing it. It could be the very common problem where the contact area of the shoes ( ] ) against the backing plate needs lubed.
Old 01-18-2012
Registered!!

@ ezone, When im at a stop and i pump the brakes i dont hear the squeaking noise, the noise is coming from the back drivers side.

@ CraigW, I tried that and yes i hear the noise as im releasing the parking brake

Some more background on my car: I had bought it in the summer of 08 with 18,000 miles on it the previous owner only used the car to go to the train station daily. I have only changed all four tires on the car, along with wipers, & various lights.
Old 01-18-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Once you get the drums off (pretty easy on both of last 2 Civics) If you look at the back edge of shoes near the backing plate, You will see a ] area of the shoe that contacts the backing plate. If you put a small amount of grease at this area it will solve the noise.
Old 01-18-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta add a +1 to this post.

Been rockin this set for a while now. I'm pleased with their performance.
Old 01-20-2013
Registered!!

botakcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

I know is an old thread but i didn't want to start one...

Anyway, anyone tried this? Looks like a good deal.

Power Stop K690 Front Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit Power Stop K690 Front Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit
Old 01-20-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ehrm.... I'm sure they are fine but I bigtime prefer blanks over drilled/slotted for many reasons.
Old 01-20-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

^
I second that
Old 01-20-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

double post...
Old 01-20-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by botakcivic
I know is an old thread but i didn't want to start one...

Anyway, anyone tried this? Looks like a good deal.

Power Stop K690 Front Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit
start reading enough stuff to keep you for a while :

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...disk-swap.html
Old 01-20-2013
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention the reviews written below in that ad are not very good
Old 01-20-2013
Registered!!

Max91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm... Don't know what comment I can add here. But what I can say, is I've had mine on for some time now and have had no problems. In fact, the little car will stop on a dime.

I know some of you warned me about these rotors. I will say, I wished they were just slotted and not drilled (possible crack factor). I'll keep a close watch on them and report any failure.

And that "whirling sound? I only heard it once when I dropped from 70 mph to 0 in a very short distance...I mean very short.
Old 01-20-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

^ they likely to crack with high road race conditions or poorly drilled without release of tensions. potentially, much less risks in street use, unless prolonged downhill use could cause some of the issues.

so, personally i will refrain to use them, especially because i still intend to run some track days with the car
you could get luck and never see it or not.
Old 01-20-2013
Registered!!

Max91 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree for the most part. I think the quality of the rotor can make a difference. I defiantly would not buy these posted on Amazon.

So do you think location, environment, terrain, and road conditions could be a factor on wether they fail or not? Maybe where I'm at I may never see a problem.

For example, I saw a video of a Canadian dude replacing rotors. I was amazed at how big the rust flakes were. Here parts will rust but not to the point of dilapidation. I'm sure in some areas winter can be torture on cars.
Old 01-20-2013
Whachya lookin at?

I'll explain a little bit about drilled/slotted rotors and their possible benefits/drawbacks.

Benefits :
Supposed better brake performance
Supposed better brake fade

Drawbacks :
- The brake fade is a myth, in fact the lack of material caused by the drilling/slotting actually causes the rotor to run hotter.
- The slots cause the pads to wear a lot faster. They are designed for race applications and actually shave a layer of pad off with each pass. That's the price you pay for increased brake performance. Slotted rotors are EXCELLENT for applications where the pads will glaze, which are no longer sold and your's dont GLAZE. The good thing about slots is they will shave the glazing off the pads to make sure braking performance does not diminish. This however, does not apply to you.
- Seriously reduced rotor life especially on cheap applications due to steel quality and material loss.

Blanks are by far the best rotors for the money. Not only are they cheaper, but they cool faster, stop the same and are easier on your pads. Take a look at a heatsink, they jam as much material as possible while allowing air to pass through a heatsink because the more steel there is the more heat it will draw. Consider your rotor a heatsink, it needs more material to cool better. Therefore, drilling material off your rotor is counterproductive.
Old 01-20-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Max91
I agree for the most part. I think the quality of the rotor can make a difference. I defiantly would not buy these posted on Amazon.

So do you think location, environment, terrain, and road conditions could be a factor on wether they fail or not? Maybe where I'm at I may never see a problem.

For example, I saw a video of a Canadian dude replacing rotors. I was amazed at how big the rust flakes were. Here parts will rust but not to the point of dilapidation. I'm sure in some areas winter can be torture on cars.
honestly don't know. for my use, i would not. checking rotors all the time for cracks would be a painful chore for me for no real added gains (in my opinion). many says sports cars have them so they *must* be better. well, their maintenance says a lot shorter periods of checks for cracks...
not for me and me vic.
ah, blueem2 have (or had) slotted ones, so he talks from experience. (imagine that the slots are actually crevices in the road and you can picture the happiness of the pads to meet the crevices thump/thump/thump!)
Old 01-21-2013
Registered!!

Thank you all for the feedback.

Going with Raybestos Rotors #96087 and Raybestos Pads #ATD465AC from rockauto. Total cost $95.

I hope these would be good enough for my pizza delivery job.
Thank you.
Old 01-21-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Raybestos are pretty decent brakes.
Old 01-22-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Raybestos are pretty decent brakes.
Thanks.
I heard good things about Hawks pads but not much about rotors.
Any recommendation?

Quick Reply: Need some help picking out new rotors & brake pads for my 02 lx coupe ...