Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Need some help picking out new rotors & brake pads for my 02 lx coupe ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need some help picking out new rotors & brake pads for my 02 lx coupe ...

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
honestly don't know. for my use, i would not. checking rotors all the time for cracks would be a painful chore for me for no real added gains (in my opinion). many says sports cars have them so they *must* be better. well, their maintenance says a lot shorter periods of checks for cracks...
To tell the truth, I'm a truck driver. My equipment is to be inspected and approved by me every day. It is completely inspected at point "A", point "B" (and points in between depending on the length of the trip), and back at point "A".

I guess I've become a creature of habit. I had posted in another thread that I leave my hood up when I'm not driving the car. That is a true statement. It reminds me to check fluids, hoses, belts, cables, and look for anything that might fail. Almost daily, I inspect the tires and brakes. Once a week I turn on the flashers and all the lights and do a walk around. About every oil change, I take the wheels off and inspect the suspension. I guess I'm the kinda guy that doesn't take auto safety lightly. The last thing I want is a failure to cause an accident or me sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck (I'd rather be hauling *** in my car). These inspections I do may take 2-5 minutes out of my day or 20-30 minutes on a weekend, but it is well worth the time.

With that said, anybody interested in a one owner 2002 Silverado?....J/K!

Ok, back to the rotors.
High risk of cracking?.....Yes
Since I put the rotors on and started a discussion, I've done a lot of research. The debates on other forums equal ours. I'v seen good pros and I've seen good cons, not to mention horrifying pictures. For now I feel safe. Now, I will say when it comes time for a brake job or rotor failure, I will replace them with HIGH QUALITY blanks (spare no expense).

Originally Posted by botakcivic
Thank you all for the feedback.

Going with Raybestos Rotors #96087 and Raybestos Pads #ATD465AC from rockauto. Total cost $95.

I hope these would be good enough for my pizza delivery job.
Thank you.
Yes, Raybestos is good product.
Old 01-22-2013
Registered!!

hioto is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
I heard good things about Hawks pads but not much about rotors.
Any recommendation?
I never had a problem with hawk pads. Rotors i prefer EBC.
Old 01-22-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I got a defecto raybestos pad once... But, that can happen to any pad.
Old 01-22-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I heard good things about Hawks pads but not much about rotors.
there's no need to use HP+ for street driving, mind you. normal pads would do the job. it's a pain to clean the wheels all the time on the plus, altho you get a nice metallic black coating on the front wheels if you leave them for long

Originally Posted by Max91
Since I put the rotors on and started a discussion, I've done a lot of research. The debates on other forums equal ours. I'v seen good pros and I've seen good cons, not to mention horrifying pictures. For now I feel safe. Now, I will say when it comes time for a brake job or rotor failure, I will replace them with HIGH QUALITY blanks (spare no expense).
haha, from your description of inspection, you should be fine
yeah, they are mostly bling factor, and have the pain to inspect more frequently. not much likely tho in street. i also looked in a few other forums, as you could see in the linked thread
Old 01-23-2013
Registered!!

botakcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all.
Ordering my raybestos combo.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Going with Raybestos Rotors #96087 and Raybestos Pads #ATD465AC from rockauto. Total cost $95.

I hope these would be good enough for my pizza delivery job.
Thank you.
Old 01-24-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

found this on my old files, so just for the fun and to illustrate:

Name:  rotorcracks2_zpseb075d88.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  80.9 KB
Old 01-28-2013
Registered!!

s4boost should not be trusted

Hawk pads for sure