Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

I need help changing my wheel studs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
I need help changing my wheel studs.

My wheel studs are so damaged that I actually can't get my lug nuts on, that's what I get for using cheap lug nuts with threads so weak they strip even when torqued to the correct foot pounds. I just bought a set of mcgard nuts and they weigh three times what the cheap ones do, that shows how poor quality are.

Anyway, I can't drive until I change them so can someone hook me up with the method for changing them on our cars?

Maybe from the service manual?
Old 04-23-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: I need help changing my wheel studs.

you are kidding me, right?

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...b-removal.html
Old 04-23-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

also, PM lazlong, from his post, he seems to have "some" experience with that...
The time i had to do, i did not have garage nor the power tools, so had to take to a shop to take the wheel off from starters, so i do not have experience myself...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-23-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I've had a very long frustrating day, I could probably go outside and do it without much trouble, but I'd like some more definite directions than the basic concept. I might just end up pulling the hub and wandering down the street with it till I find a press, but I rather hammer/pull them in myself if it's possible.
Old 04-23-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

can't really find any useful ones... some seens to pull it to a spot that nothing blocks the stud to come out, but this seems to be for older gen...
I guess pressing the hub is the only one that works... nothing on the service manual besides presses either... Since you could get these too, it will remain as help for any other coming to look for this...
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread...wheel+stud+hub
Old 04-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Those are helpful, I found one on clubrsx too, but not details on the actual pressing part and I don't understand that.
Old 04-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

that is on the manual - here
Sorry for teh angle, the manual is larger than the scanner and the electronic version did not have the suspension part...
Old 04-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

That's actually very helpful, thanks man!
Old 04-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

g'luck!
Old 04-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I'll need it.
Old 04-24-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChuckD is an unknown quantity at this point

Did the lugs strip and leave material on the studs? If the studs aren't stripped you can take a tap and die set and clean out the threads. If the studs are stripped then you have to change the hub.
Old 04-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I don't think the studs are to bad, but the cheap aluminium lugs definitely did some damage. I might buy this and give it a shot.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....&group_ID=1148
Old 04-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

this looks promising, read the review.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 04-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

considering that tomorrow is holiday, i guess that would be best bet at the moment...
Old 04-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
considering that tomorrow is holiday, i guess that would be best bet at the moment...
Most places are open in BC on Easter Monday, I don't think it's actually a stat holiday here. Everything in Quebec is a bit different than the rest of the country lol
Old 04-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

not complaining, i get the day off :P
Old 04-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I've had the last two years off.
Old 04-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

So your replacing the studs? Have you removed the knucklle yet?
Old 04-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by tbohar
So your replacing the studs? Have you removed the knucklle yet?
No, I'm hoping I can repair the stud threads with a die or something like that since I can't figure out how to do it all myself.

I also have one lug nut stuck on a stud now, fml, my car and I aren't getting along.
Old 04-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by MindBomber
fml, my car and I aren't getting along.
That what happens when you give too much attention to the "human" GF
Old 04-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I'm back from my walk to Canadian Tire with several new tool purchases; I have a great racheting breaker bar, 32mm socket, tap and die set and the universal re-thread die I linked to earlier in the thread. It's raining now, but with any luck this will work and I'll make a DIY on this potentially awesome tool.

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
That what happens when you give too much attention to the "human" GF
Haha yup, my human gf has been great this weekend though, she detailed my engine while I change the accessory belts
Old 04-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

That tool looks pretty nice. I think this one here goes down to 50 bucks though every once in a while.

I'd go in there and be like yo give me this at the sale price. They will give it to you... Every time I buy something from there I ask for the sale price. Take some pics so we can seeeeeeeeeee.
Old 04-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by tbohar
That tool looks pretty nice. I think this one here goes down to 50 bucks though every once in a while.

I'd go in there and be like yo give me this at the sale price. They will give it to you... Every time I buy something from there I ask for the sale price. Take some pics so we can seeeeeeeeeee.
That's the exact set I picked up
Old 04-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Sweet.. I've been eyeballing that for like 3 yrs hahaha I've just never gone out and bought it.
Old 04-24-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

You can make a four day drive to Vancouver and borrow it anytime

The rethread tool worked okay, it fixed some of the less damaged threads, I would say it was almost equal in effectiveness to the die. I managed to get three lug nuts on, two with slightly shorted studs, that's good enough for me to drive around for a couple days.
Old 04-24-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Sounds like the knuckle is coming off Oh well, it's a fun project anyway and really doesnt take too long!!!
Old 04-25-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I wouldn't call if fun, but pretty simple at least.