Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

2004 Honda Civic LX Break Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sdcharger1233 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Honda Civic LX Break Failure

Hi:

I was on the freeway going aproximately 70mph and tried to apply my breaks. There was no resistance when i pushed on the break pedal. This happened three or four times. When i got off the free way and resumed city driving, the brakes worked fine. I had my mechanic check it and i trust him. He didn't find anything. He inspected the master cylander and its seals as well as the break pads and rotors. Everything looked fine to him.

I am worried because this happened three or four times, not just once.

What should i do? Should i take it to the dealer? I think the dealers are over priced sometimes and may not have the most experienced mechanics. I've had bad experiences all be it not from honda dealers. Also, if i do take it to the dealer how can i find out which one in my area has the best reputation for repairing cars?

Thank you so much for your help!

Sdcharger1233 (go chargers!)
Old 04-21-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2004 Honda Civic LX Break Failure

What exactly do you mean by no brake resistance? Did the pedal go to the floor? Did the car not respond to the pedal being pressed? If I were you, I'd have your mechanic road test the car in the same exact scenario you're describing. Some times you can't replicate it at the shop because you need to be at a certain speed. That, IMO, would be the best route to go.
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

Thank you MelJ. My break pedal actually did go to the floor or pretty close to it. The car would not stop when the pedal was pressed. After my mechanic looked at it and told me there was nothing wrong, I did ask him to take it on the freeway and test it and told him I was going between 60-70mph.

I am not sure where to go from here.

Does anybody else know of any break issues/recalls with the Honda Civic LX?
Old 04-21-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I don't wanna say I'm 100% on it, but the brakes might need to be bled. When was the last time you had that done?
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

Thanks MelJ. No, have not had the brakes bled. By the way, the car has had its 30,000 and 60,000 checkups. I am not sure if the brakes were bled at either of those times. How often should I have the brakes bled?
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

The only time that the brakes need to be bled is if air gets into the system. This can happen if the fluid in the master cylinder gets low enough that air is drawn into the lines or if brake parts such as calipers, wheel cylinders or brake line have to be replaced.
As part of maintenance the brake system should be flushed. This is the same process but for a different reason. When you bleed the brakes you are pushing new fluid out to the wheels to remove any air bubbles, when you flush the system you follow the same procedure but you are replacing old fluid with new. The reason you flush the system is brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air which will lower it's boiling point and also increase corrosion in the brake system. Flushing should be done about every 2 to 4 years but a lot of people ignore it.
I doubt your brakes need to be bled. If you have air in the brake system it does not come and go. Air would cause the pedal to go to the floor but until it was bled the brakes they would not work correctly. My guess would be the master cylinder. One of the internal seals or valves could be going bad and seal correctly sometimes but not all the time.
If it is the master cylinder they can try a bench bleed before mounting the new master cylinder which removes all the air in the master cylinder and should prevent air from entering the brake lines. If they bleed the brakes at the wheels this will flush the system as well.
Old 04-21-2011
Trance Addict

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking air as well, which is why I said it might need a bleed soon. But the master cylinder idea is something that should be considered as well. Are there any visible leaks OP?
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

1. Bleed the system.

2. If that still doesn't fix it and there are no visible leaks replace the master cylinder.
Old 04-21-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

1. bleed brakes (all 4 corners)
i would bleed until you completely get new fluid in there

2. replace the brake pads. you might have some really crappy pads that give you problems. its called BRAKE FADE. it happens when the bakes pads+rotors build up heat. braking problems start here. this is what ur problem sounds like.

3. check rotor to see if it is warped

4. check master cylinder. you might need to get a new one...but this usually doesnt fail. most master cyl will last the life of the car.
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
2. replace the brake pads. you might have some really crappy pads that give you problems. its called BRAKE FADE. it happens when the bakes pads+rotors build up heat. braking problems start here. this is what ur problem sounds like.
Dam, completely forgot about brake fade. Talk about a brain fart.
Old 04-21-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^haha yea i was wondering why you didnt mention it.
Old 04-22-2011
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Brake fade does not cause the pedal to go to the floor. Under repeated hard stops the brakes will fade, but that just means you are applying the brakes and the result is less than the normal stopping power. The pedal travel stays the same. The only way brake fade might lead to the pedal going to the floor is if it was so severe and you had heated the brakes so much that you boiled the fluid in the calipers. In this case the brakes do not return to normal as he described.

If the pedal went to the floor a couple of times and then returned to normal I would guess master cylinder. Air has to be bled and does not just disappear so if the pedal travel returns to normal I doubt it is air.

If you feel comfortable bleeding the brakes yourself that would be my first step. A quart of brake fluid is $15 to $20 and if it does not fix the problem you flushed the system which is not a bad idea any way. The problem is that if it is the master cylinder it may happen again at a time when you really have to stop. If it was my car I would replace the master cylinder since they are not usually expensive and not hard to replace. This is a guess and replacing parts by guess work can get expensive. You could go back and discuss it with your mechanic some more and see if he has any new ideas.
Old 04-22-2011
Registered!!

I forgot to mention, if you decide to do any of the work yourself, brake fluid is hard on paint so be careful. If you do get brake fluid on a painted surface, wipe it off. The damage to paint is not instant so you don't have to be paranoid, just don't forget about it.
Old 04-22-2011
Registered!!

@ pjb3: If the pads on all 4 wheels are low it will cause this exact symptom. We call it brake fade for lack of a better term. You're thinking of brake fade after heavy or extreme use.

FYI: DOT3 is on sale at O'reillys for $4.99 right now.
Old 04-22-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

either a small leak (are there brake fluid drops on the ground?) or master cylinder.
Old 04-22-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

umm this happened to me about 4 months ago turns out my brake fluid was dark brown and so it was way past the point of changing. Me and my cuz bleed all four lines with new fluid using a clear tube connected to the brake to see when clear/new fluid started coming out.
Old 04-25-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
@ pjb3: If the pads on all 4 wheels are low it will cause this exact symptom. We call it brake fade for lack of a better term. You're thinking of brake fade after heavy or extreme use.
I thought about brake wear but he said his mechanic checked the brake pads, rotors and master cylinder. The only way I can think of getting air in the system without a leak is if the master cyclinder was dry and air entered that way. It would be pretty hard to have a dry master cylinder and not notice it but it is possible.
Old 04-25-2011
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Umm I think its your master cylinder.