Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

brake fade

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RallyeRedRider has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: brake fade

I just purchased a 2002 EX Coupe and I need to upgrade my brakes. There are several amazing roads here, and when I get on one hard for a while (10-15 miles of extreme braking for dozens of hair-pins) I don't experience too much fade. But I heat my break up hot enough to roll out clouds of smoke for several minutes when I pull over and stop.
I plan on purchasing Hawk HPS pads and Russel lines (for brake feel, not the heat issues).
But what should I do about the rotor? I was planning on buying Brembo slotted, since they are supposed to expel heat gases better then a blank rotor, and I don't want drilled rotors, because I don't want them to warp or crack.
But I've read a lot of negative stuff about Brembo slotted rotors. Do they really suck more then OEM?
I have to do something! I can't stand having to pull over every 5-10 minutes to let my breaks cool.
Old 05-22-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: brake fade

ah yes NC roads are nice hehe. some people around here used to use powerslot rotors? not sure how good they are. rotors will get hot tho regardless of pads. just try to adjust your braking habits for short bursts and do not let them drag more than a few seconds. hawk pads should help, you dont wanna go nuts and get some race pads unless most of your braking is heavy like this. i know some people who live in the mountains have to get upgraded brakes cause they just heat up so much having to brake after every corner.