Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Convert 7th gen civic to AWD? Doable, stupid, both?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2k1_Toaster will become famous soon enough
Convert 7th gen civic to AWD? Doable, stupid, both?

Hello. Just so you all now, I live in Colorado and have about 2000ft elevation change up a hill and most of the year we have snow. I usually can get up my hill, but there are times when I struggle. Usually I can get up the hill while the dummies with awd/4wd plow into mailboxes and go sideways down the hill.

But I was thinking how much happier I would be with an AWD or maybe something that could be disengaged on nice days like 4wd. I know it would cut my gas mileage down, and I wouldn't get very much HP, but I am not a speed demon. I would rather have a nice slow car, than a fast uncomfortable car.

Basically my question is, is it possible to do? How much do you think I would be looking at cost wise if I were to do it myself/friends or if I had some shop do it? I imagine it would be a pretty big undertaking and maybe the re-arrangement of the back end parts like fuel tank or something. I am not particularily handy on my car, but I am friends who are, and like money!

I did see this thread: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...500-post6.html

but I didn't really see the solution. The solution in there was for someone who wanted to go fast. I want to go slow, but with traction.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Step 1 - Sell Civic
Step 2 - Buy Subaru
Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
you'd have to integrate AWD honda drivetrain and that wouldn't be possible because honda doesn't make AWD cars.
Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

estebomb_ftw will become famous soon enough
Tsudocivic all over again?
Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Rufus
Step 1 - Sell Civic
Step 2 - Buy Subaru
, well yeah, but scoobies are expensive.

My first car was a subaru, and I loved it, but I love my civic more. I have everything just the way I want it in my civic. And I think it would be semi-unique.

So is it impossible or just very very difficult and not worth it? I know that I would give up a lot for minimal gain, but around here AWD is almost a must. Like I said, I can live with FWD, but would rather have AWD.
Old 02-28-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
There is no D series transmission to drive all 4 wheels unless you're planning on importing it from Japan, but by that point, you coulda bought a Subaru and then some.
Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
yeah.. sorry bro... not possible. civics are econ boxes.
Old 02-28-2007
Banned

civic p1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by kasimmmmm
you'd have to integrate AWD honda drivetrain and that wouldn't be possible because honda doesn't make AWD cars.
um, think about it again lol.

crv... ridgeline... pilot....

and the uh.. the old 1980 awd civics, http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1904524
Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by estebomb_ftw
Tsudocivic all over again?
Referring to the WRX engine swap thread? https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ine-civic.html

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
There is no D series transmission to drive all 4 wheels unless you're planning on importing it from Japan, but by that point, you coulda bought a Subaru and then some.
So there are AWD Honda's in Japan? Importation is no problem. My entire car is imported. Canadian built, imported to US. I have connections in 日本, as well as 中國, so I am not afraid of freighting something over if possible. If there are AWD civics or Honda's in Japan, then I may just buy one of those and ship it over... hmm.

Originally Posted by kasimmmmm
yeah.. sorry bro... not possible. civics are econ boxes.
I love my econ box! I just wish it had an option for all wheels to spin!
Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by civic p1
um, think about it again lol.

crv... ridgeline... pilot....

and the uh.. the old 1980 awd civics, http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1904524
I assume that the first 3 since they are trucks are completely different. And I am not sure I want to put a 27 year old tranny in my new car!
Old 02-28-2007
Banned

civic p1 is an unknown quantity at this point
People swap the 1980's awd system into their hatches and it works fine (with modification) that would be cool though.. awd hatch, no more getting stuck in winter.
Old 02-28-2007
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
It can be down with the proper tranny from the older civics and custom drive shafts but you'd have to make a hump on the floor for the drive shaft. Prolly all new suspension in the rear. Anything is possible but it would just take so much money.
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

hwt101 is an unknown quantity at this point
acura is releasing the TL type S w/AWD (intelligent at that) it could maybe be adapted w/the k24 swap.
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Rufus
Step 1 - Sell Civic
Step 2 - Buy Subaru
this is the best and cheapest option.

sell the vic for 8k-10k and buy a used wrx for 14k-16k.

The amount of time and labor associated with welding a transaxle to the rear end of the civic, would defeat the purpose of having a civic in the first place. If it possible yes, does it make sense economically no.
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

MrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of light
Cheapest option: buy good winter tires, if not enough, get some tire chains, if still not enough, move to somewhere without that kind of a hill
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

MrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of light
btw, I know someone that did this on an integra, he used CRV motor and tranny but it cost him a lot of $$ and time
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

chawski will become famous soon enoughchawski will become famous soon enough
aside from the whole new tansaxle, you would need to cut a tunnel down the middle of your floorboard to run a driveshaft. to answer your question, maybe its doable, no it is not a good idea.
Old 03-01-2007
Registered!!

myinca will become famous soon enoughmyinca will become famous soon enough
amost 100% sure there is a 7thgen civic, not here in the states, with awd. its desiel powered, if i come across the link ill let u know, but it will cost an *** load to import. the link was on 7thgen a while back so search
Old 03-01-2007
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, you're right. There's a Euro 'vic that's AWD.

The "cheapest" option would be to buy a few-years old CRV and pull the engine and drivetrain out of that. But it would be incredibly labor-intensive.
Old 03-01-2007
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
the CHEAPEST thing to do is just suck it up, and dont touch anything.