Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

How does Wheel size reduce perfomance

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice
How does Wheel size reduce perfomance

I have heard and ACTUALLY FELT loosing power when switching from OEM wheels to 17's. Is this true or is it just my imagination ???
Old 02-25-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
more rotational mass, more weight for the tranny to spin. Lighter, smaller wheels spin faster and vise versa for larger wheels.
Old 02-25-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
^^exatly

But, were u runnin steelies? then upped to some 17's?? like you can reduce performance like xsr said, but usually aftermarket wheels are wider, thus increasing performance like staying on the road, and such. Also it depends on the weight of your wheels as well.
Old 02-25-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice
Originally Posted by LT2004ever
^^exatly

But, were u runnin steelies? then upped to some 17's?? like you can reduce performance like xsr said, but usually aftermarket wheels are wider, thus increasing performance like staying on the road, and such. Also it depends on the weight of your wheels as well.
No I wasnt using steelies My VP came with the 15 inch Alloy wheels Upgrade (EX ones) Something good in a VP
Old 02-25-2007
Registered!!

EggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enoughEggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enough
Try this, spin around in a chair with your arms out then slowly bring them closer to your body. Feel the difference?
Old 02-25-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
Originally Posted by EggRollBandit05
Try this, spin around in a chair with your arms out then slowly bring them closer to your body. Feel the difference?
lol, if u do this, please make a video! please!
Old 02-25-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Originally Posted by mani_is_kool
No I wasnt using steelies My VP came with the 15 inch Alloy wheels Upgrade (EX ones) Something good in a VP
well how much does your new rims weigh?? like i think your stock ones were around 17lbs each
Old 02-25-2007
Registered!!

CIVDAWG21 is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't know bout you guys but when i put my 17's(with the tires mounted) up to my stock wheels.......they were exactly the same hight but obv. wider. oh and by the way my konig tuner 2's r way lighter than the stock ****.
Old 02-25-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
my new rims are only 13lbs, compared to stock 17lbs. feels like the difference between driving on an empty tank of gas instead of a full tank.
Old 02-25-2007
Banned

I Love You is an unknown quantity at this point
someone on a 350z site said for every 2lbs you lose 1hp at the wheels. but i went from 15's to 17's and my 17's are noticably heavier then the stockiers but i see no difference, but since they are wider they get more traction in those turns.
Old 02-25-2007
Banned

lol, if u do this, please make a video! please!

Old 02-26-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
i think it's 1lb rotating mass = 10lbs stationary mass. so even if your wheels are 3lbs heavier, that's 12lbs total for the car, so that's like carrying an extra 120lbs. even 1lb heavier would be an extra 40lbs.
Old 02-26-2007
Administrator
Administrator

electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gearbox
my new rims are only 13lbs, compared to stock 17lbs.
what kind?
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

dust is an unknown quantity at this point
yea what everyone said so far has been right. basically any reputable brand of wheel wont be cinder block heavy.
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
You also have to realize that it is not just the additional weight, but the location of the weight. The rotational mass issue includes how far the mass is from the center (I believe it is a distance squared issue). Larger rims extend the weight outward from the center which increases the rotational mass. The more rotational mass, the harder it is to turn the wheel, therefore decreasing acceleration. Additional rotational mass also makes it harder to stop the spinning wheel, increasing braking distances.
Old 02-26-2007
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bobsagator
You also have to realize that it is not just the additional weight, but the location of the weight. The rotational mass issue includes how far the mass is from the center (I believe it is a distance squared issue). Larger rims extend the weight outward from the center which increases the rotational mass. The more rotational mass, the harder it is to turn the wheel, therefore decreasing acceleration. Additional rotational mass also makes it harder to stop the spinning wheel, increasing braking distances.
The basic formula for estimating Rotational Inertia goes like this.. I=m(r^2)

I = Inertia
M= Mass (weight)
r = Radius

just plug in the #'s... the wheel with the Higher I will be the "slower" wheel.
Old 02-26-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
^u guys are a bunch of nerds...hhahha

Originally Posted by EggRollBandit05
i volunteered to do this in my physic class...we did it on a stool holding 5lb dumbell weights....

i was totally supprised by the difference
Old 02-27-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
^u guys are a bunch of nerds...hhahha

i volunteered to do this in my physic class...we did it on a stool holding 5lb dumbell weights....

i was totally supprised by the difference
video?????
Old 02-27-2007
Administrator
Administrator

video?????
Old 02-27-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute
An additional aspect which you want to take into consideration is the fact that if you add weight to the rims, it is now more unsprung weight. The engine has to work harder to pull more weight down below. However, I've got 18's and their a little heavier per rim-19lbs per rim. You get used to the difference, and in my opinion, the handling characteristics are worth the weight.
Old 02-27-2007
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Eyger
You get used to the difference, and in my opinion, the handling characteristics are worth the weight.
agreed, that and bigger rims look way better
Old 02-27-2007
Registered!!

Stratablak314 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ya you can use inertia and centripital (sp?) force equations if you really wanna know the tiny difference it makes. What effects spin acceleration the most I believe is the circumference, which with 17s and 45 series tires is about the same as the 14 wheel and tire combo that comes on everything but the ex. Plus my 17s are lighter than the steelies, however most of the weight is on the outside of the rim. Overall I don't think the switch made much of a difference. My tires grip way better (I can hardly peel out if they are dry in 1st) and acceleration didn't decrease much if at all. What does it matter any way, the acceleration is pretty weak unless you gots urself a swap or turbo.
Old 02-27-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
If the extra weight isn't noticibly negatively affecting your braking, then it's probably not doing much to your acceleration, either. One could argue that the stickier tires will make up for a degradation in brake performance, but the same holds true for acceleration, so the tire argument negates itself. Overall, i'm willing to sacrifice a bit of acceleration to be faster on corners from the shorter, stiffer sidewalls of the tires on my 17s. I do understand that i could accomplish the same thing with 16" wheels with good tires, but the 17s are still way better than the cheap all seasons on my 14" stock wheels.

BTW, thanks for the physics refresher, guys.
Old 03-01-2007
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Stratablak314
Ya you can use inertia and centripital (sp?) force equations if you really wanna know the tiny difference it makes. What effects spin acceleration the most I believe is the circumference, which with 17s and 45 series tires is about the same as the 14 wheel and tire combo that comes on everything but the ex. Plus my 17s are lighter than the steelies, however most of the weight is on the outside of the rim. Overall I don't think the switch made much of a difference. My tires grip way better (I can hardly peel out if they are dry in 1st) and acceleration didn't decrease much if at all. What does it matter any way, the acceleration is pretty weak unless you gots urself a swap or turbo.
Circumference deals more with Spedometer accuracy and tweaking the cars final drive ratio. Tweaking the final drive ratio can be usefull as shorter gearing = faster acceleration. Which is why I run 205/50-15's for my compitition tires. they are almost 5% shorter then stock. Otherwise, the 14 will still have more if its total weight closer to the center of rotation on the wheel then the 17, thus it will take less energy to accelerate the 14 then it will to accelerate the 17. And I dissagree about it not mattering. As I cry when I swap from my compitition setup to my street setup. The car just responds quicker to every thing, throttle imputs, steering imputs, brakeing.. when I have my compitition 15's on vs my Street 17's.
Old 03-01-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
haha........ its like learning physics all over...

video?????
nope...hhhaha sorry bud. me volunteering was more than embarassing...