Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Higher tire pressure can save your life!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006
Bone Stock!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
^your tires roll over less to give you better steering response but at the same time you are decreasing the contact patch, making the car easier to lose traction
Old 05-24-2006
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jackburton
I know my tires roll over easier at below the recomended 32 so I would assume they would roll over even less if they were pumped up higher.
Is that not better handleing?
To a point, once you've reached that point where the tire is no longer rolling over, any more PSI above that and you end up doing more harm then good. and how much Preasure is required to eliminate tire roll over is a function of the Tire its self, and how much static negitive camber you are running.

Here's a nice little article regarding tuning handling with tire PSI

Spencer.

Who runs his street use all season tires (215/45-17) at 32 front and 30 rear, and his Compitition use Falken RT-215's at 36-40 Front and 34-36 Rear (depending on track needs)
Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Thanks!
Old 05-25-2006
Registered!!

zadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by shroomster
neither of which are available on a 7th gen civic.....
My 7th generation civic, a 2004 Civic Hybrid has these features.
Old 05-25-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by zadscmc
My 7th generation civic, a 2004 Civic Hybrid has these features.
yeah I understand that the HYBRID has thpse...but the whole basis of this thread was about a stock civic model not a hybrid model....sorry for not being clear....
Old 05-26-2006
Registered!!

zadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura about
I just thought we were talking about tire pressure in general.

My Civic is a stock model.
Old 05-26-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
guess how many people have a hybrid here. if you said FOUR including yourself, you would be right.

I have a job for you. I want you to pick up a phonebook and call at least 10 auto shops that you believe do quality work. ask them what can happen if you inflate tires above the manufacturers recommended psi. Come back and report your findings. Since this is the real world, they should know more about cars than anyone here.
Old 05-26-2006
Registered!!

I never inflate my tires above the tire manufacturer's recommendation. Did I infer I did?

I think there are eleven of us.

Last edited by zadscmc; 05-26-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-26-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I meant the CAR manufacturer. For a HONDA CIVIC the maximum tire pressure is 30psi.

And you know whats funny, my non-hybrid, modded civic only gets 10mpg less than your hybrid with all your so-called fuel saving techniques. and i have intake, exhaust, heavy lip kit and audio, and normal tire pressure.
Old 05-26-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Doesnt the exhaust and intake give it better gas mileage?
I wonder if the lip kit gives you less dragLOL
Old 05-26-2006
Creative Mind Extraodinare

Graphicdude will become famous soon enoughGraphicdude will become famous soon enough
I say lock it and call it quits!!. There is no talking to philmcneal anymore about this. He thinks he is better than everyone, he doesn't think he is doing anything wrong and the debate over this tire pressure thing is stupid already.

Everyone thinks phil is a douche bag, everyone thinks he is a moron for the tire pressure thing and everyone disagress with him. DONE!!
Old 05-26-2006
Registered!!

Just because everyone thinks he is a douche bag does not make him wrong. What he is doing is stupid because it is semi dangerous, and is going to wear his tires like crazy, beasically its not worth it. Phil is very strange, he cannot stay focused or at least has trouble taking things a step at a time. I cant quite put my finger on it at the moment.

The thread should be closed because the discussion is pretty much over.
Old 05-26-2006
Registered!!

If you get 43.3 mpg or better, on a non-hybrid, congratulations.
Old 06-01-2006
Registered!!

philmcneal should not be trustedphilmcneal should not be trusted
ok well if you guys really wanted to know my last tank hand calculated it here are my stats:

Chevron Gas station
716.1 KM (444.96 Miles) (Honda Civic Odometer before last fillup)
37.055 Liters (9.788 Gallons)
1.124 dollars a Liter (3.80 Dollars US a Gallon)
Total: $41.65 ($37.20 US May 24th, 2006)
GST note: $2.72 ($2.43 US) <--- so we barely get taxed! Oil companies get all the profit ;(

KM per Liter: 19.33 (rounded)
L per 100 KM: 5.17 (rounded)
Miles per Gallon: 45.5 (rounded)
City: 85%
Highway: 15%
Gas gauge pointing before fillup: 1/4
Scangauge tank mpg: Before I destroyed it 4 cold starts back it was reading at 42 mpg US.

Looks like 1000km(600mile) barrier is very possible on my car. That alone is enough to give me some more faith.

Hey look as for the tires remember my tires have a MAX SIDEWALL OF 51 PSI. so for those saying i'm going 20 over , your wrong! I'm only 9 (back) and 11 (front) over for my wheels (I have a 2 psi front bias). Think of the analogy of expired milk, it won't kill you if you drink it even if its a day over, but if its all you got then you have no choice dispite the feeling (harsher ride). If you tweaked a car designed for a certain driving style that's suitable for the settings then what's the harm in it? If i'm going to be driving not for fuel economy then I might as well pump down the tires back to 30 psi but I do that's the problem. I need the air for the driving style I'm adapting to this car.

As for not having brakes and steering for a normal 7th gen civic, how do you explain my car then?

If we can just talk question for question, answer for answer i'll be happy to explain my reasoning even if its a bit odd to the rest of you folks.

I'm just trying to say there's a way that's all I'm not trying to start something with people who drive the same car as mine.

Last edited by philmcneal; 06-01-2006 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-01-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
And ill warm up my 30psi Toyo Proxes 4s up every day its nice out, and hit as many Gs as I can in the corners. Already did it today, and its only 9:42.
I could never drive for fuel economy. I don't speed a lot, I just don't slow down for turns a lot either! I just can't drive like a puss.
Old 06-01-2006
Premium Member

pfft 45mpg thats great. ^i also couldn't drive slow all the time wheres the fun in that. i would get honked off the road anyway.
Old 06-01-2006

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Seriously one tank of gas i had the car pushed as much as possible. I mean I revved up to 6.5 or 7 k for every shift. I would keep it in second driving around town (usually doing 40-80 since its mostly highways and major roads through town, not city streets) and it stayed in third on the highway (70-80)

So yeah, after all of that I averaged 21mpg. I was like damnit, I literally cannot get under 20mpg if I try. Thats good though!
Old 06-01-2006
Premium Member

thats not bad, i've gotten 15 before but only on a 1/4 tank.
Old 06-01-2006

I have never gotten below 21 for as long as I have kept track.
I actually have never hit below 22 in the winter, and thats counting all the freezing cold starts, wasting all that gas, and the warming up periods, wasting even more gas.
Old 06-01-2006
Registered!!

I need the air for the driving style I'm adapting to this car.-lame
Old 06-01-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
could a mod please at least change the title of this as the whole thread is about p.s.i/mpg not p.s.i saving your life......
Old 06-01-2006
Premium Member

haha
Old 06-03-2006
Registered!!

well i dunno from what YOU GUYS are saying about "my tires will wear faster than usual" are you guys saying that my MIDDLE or outside tread? Because right now my outside is running out of tread while my middle has lots of green left, Honda sent me a tread indicator (green, yellow and red) and its green for the middle and yellow for the outsides.

Then again this is my first pair of tires at 40000 km, and before I drove like I did now I did some drifting, 0 to 100 km runs, the usual.

I started hypermiling at 30000km i think, i've been running high tire pressure for almost those 10000km now. (from 30 to 40, then to 50 and now 60 psi for almost a month now). Why am I so crazy? Lets just say I've read other members that go over their limits in terms of at least 20% over their sidewall recommendation (i only decided to do 10%) and are getting some good mileage with their numbers!

A honda del sol inspired me to do what I'm doing today, "WTF if he can get 60 mpg in the city why can't I?" Then again that dude has way more hypermiling experience than I and he's part of that 100 mpg prius marathon stuff as well as being good at what he does.

I don't think I got a honk yet, BUT i got looks all the time. Mad people's faces are hilarious, always giving me the DiRtY everytime I delay them from their red light. But if there's more than 5 cars behind me then yeah I have no choice man, its either drive or die, in that case I stop trying to roll with my car and abuse 5th as much as I can.

Um any other inquires... oh right the picture for that dude who wants me using a digital gauge with 60 psi with 7thgencivic.com yeah i'll do that soon enough when i'm not lazy!

Yeah saving gas is nice, but sometimes I wish it was automatic instead of me rowing through all the gears. Hybrids are nice but in Canada there is over a 10000 dollar premiium for them so right now not worth it unfortnately.

As for speed, i'm so glad I'm over that. A friend offered to let me drive his MR2 with turbo (200 horse / 200 pounds of torque) and i told him, "You can but when I drive you'll never see me go past 3000 rpms."
"WHY!!!!!!! THAT"S WHERE ALL THE POWER IS"
"I rather bump start with your MR2 "

bump starting is a very interesting technique that SHOULD BE more known to people. I'm timing the bump so well that I can restart the engine in 4th gear and then as the engine revs rise, I can shove it into 3rd and everything is syncronized! AMAZING!

I just need more practice, uh until then keep popping me with more questions if you 7th genners want to save some more gas. The habit is hard to drop but once you do you'll have more money for... i dunno an intake :P.
Old 06-03-2006
Premium Member

i wonder what kind of engine damage you're causing. this engine was designed for hi revs. by limiting the rpms, you risk carbon deposits forming more than usual. eventually it will catch up with you and you can kiss goodbye any kind of mileage. i would give it a couple years. if you dont care about safety or tire life, you have engine problems coming next. so just watch out. i hate to see what your plugs look like already
Old 06-05-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
We all know he's a ultramegadouchetard, but his head is so far up his ultramegadouchetard *** he'll never admit he's destroying his car and making the roads unsafe for the other drivers. Glad I don't live in Canada. Not to mention that his "techniques" only work in the city, not on the highway.
Old 06-05-2006
Premium Member

oh i forgot to mention, other than messing up your engine, plugs, cat, intake ports, and creating more pollution in the process, you are also severely reducing battery life and contributing to lead waste. all so you can save a few $ and add to already bad road rage. good job. you need to think about consequences some more.
Old 06-06-2006
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
When Michelin say "Because so much is riding on your tires", they are not kidding! So running extremely high pressure is seriously not a good idea.
Old 06-06-2006
Premium Member

well yea lol, your whole car is.
Old 06-06-2006
Registered!!

more stats!

Days I lasted before filling up again: 13 days
Chevron Gas station @ $1.12 dollars a liter after discount
463.1 Km (287.76 Miles) (Honda Civic Odometer before last fillup)
Scangauge reported: 455 km SO a difference of 8.1 Km.
23.292 Liters (6.153 Gallons)
$1.124 dollars a Liter ($3.82 Dollars US a Gallon)
Total: $26.18 ($23.53 US) June 6, 06 (DEVIL!!!)
GST note: $1.71 ($1.54 US) <--- Chevron may have killed the EV (they hold battery patent related to the ones that Toyota Prius has) but their gas is the ****!

KM per Liter: 19.88 (rounded)
L per 100 KM: 5.03 (rounded)
Miles per Gallon: 46.77 (rounded)
Scangauge tank mpg/LPer100Km: 43.55/5.4 (difference of 2%)

City: 90%
Highway: 10% (46 km highway)
Gas gauge pointing before fillup: 1/2

Little improvement... something tells me I need a modfication to my car to break the 50 mpg (4.7LPer100Km) tank limit. And hopefully the scanguage will be calibrated for the next tank.

so two weeks, maybe its very possible to equal one gas tank per month!

Ok as for the comments made to me...

i wonder what kind of engine damage you're causing. this engine was designed for hi revs. by limiting the rpms, you risk carbon deposits forming more than usual. eventually it will catch up with you and you can kiss goodbye any kind of mileage. i would give it a couple years. if you dont care about safety or tire life, you have engine problems coming next. so just watch out. i hate to see what your plugs look like already
and how long do you make your tires last? I'm still on my first set when I got this car three years ago. Just because I drive for mileage doesn't mean I don't rev it up, its just I don't rev it up when I know I have to stop...

Many sites to prove you wrong again, but what the hell find one no name site that says what you want and its right no matter what all the reputable people say eh ?
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/ic100368.htm
"TOO MUCH AIR
Overinflating tires can be just as bad as underinflation because it increases ride harshness and makes the tire more vulnerable to damage caused by potholes and curbs. Overinflation typically occurs when somebody adds air to a tire until it "looks full." Or, they don’t use an accurate tire gauge when filling the tire. Never exceed the maximum pressure rating on the side of the tire. Always follow the OEM-recommended inflation pressure for vehicle load and operating conditions."
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info...etips.asp?id=8
"Never exceed maximum load indicated on tire sidewall or vehicle capacity load found in owner's manual. "
"Overinflating tires does not increase load carrying capacity, but will result in a hard ride and accelerated tire wear in the center of the contact patch."
http://www.safercar.gov/tires/pages/TirePressureFAQ.htm
http://www.aa1car.com/library/tirefail.htm
"FAILURES CAUSED BY OVERINFLATION
see where I put my bolded statement? If that was true why is my tread depth for the middle is still very good? (green as indicated by a honda tread depth tester I got from the mail) I'm sure the part about the safety and the dangers is all legal whoes. After all if you invented a product and someone gets hurt using it, then there's going to be a lot of bad **** going down....

As for those reptuatable people, well they are the only ones trying to find the real truth behind high tire pressure. They've done it for much longer than I have and has told me their experiences. What's wrong with finding out if the same experience would do me any good? Oh by the way if I have to label any damage for my tires it would be the side bumps I noticed for some of my tires, (all the hard cornering on bumps) and I'll probably get someone to check it out for me for their opinion.

We all know he's a ultramegadouchetard, but his head is so far up his ultramegadouchetard *** he'll never admit he's destroying his car and making the roads unsafe for the other drivers. Glad I don't live in Canada. Not to mention that his "techniques" only work in the city, not on the highway.
once again I known others who abuses the techniques way more than I have and his car still runs better than ever. And yes its a Honda, and besides highway driving is easy... all you do is stay below 60 mph (98 km/h) and you'll easily smash EPA estimates. City is where all the real fun is at, and as for the unsafe part maybe that's just you because the way I drive I'm making sure I get to one place to another without colliding into anyone.

oh i forgot to mention, other than messing up your engine, plugs, cat, intake ports, and creating more pollution in the process, you are also severely reducing battery life and contributing to lead waste. all so you can save a few $ and add to already bad road rage. good job. you need to think about consequences some more.
if you can check out my engine i'm sure you'd love to find the evidence that supports your facts but unfortnately I have no one that reliable to look at my car. My battery is starting to show its age but how long do you guys make your batteries last anyways? isn't 48 months the usual length to replace one? I'm sure they can be recycled if you take it to a proper store (actually in Canada its by law that you must hand over your old battery if you buy a new one). Saving a few $? more like spending less than 2 digits a month on gas. Lol road rage are those who are impatient and wishes to speed up to a red light to idle their *** off until their torque converter engages again on 1st gear. If the light is green I won't hold anyone up, but if I know it will turn red (and usually I'm right when predicting lights) then you better stop mashing the gas because it will get you no where.

Once again, I feel there's more enjoyment to my driving rather than driving before I learned about this hypermilage stuff. To each and their own and for those curious enough Illl let you know if i blowout a tire or replace a battery and start killing a few trees!

How am I polluting more if I use less gas to travel such a far distance?
Old 06-07-2006
Premium Member

haha it says in his profile that hes tryin to sell the car. nobody is gonna buy a car that you messed up with your crazy schemes

Quick Reply: Higher tire pressure can save your life!