Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Higher tire pressure can save your life!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
philmcneal should not be trustedphilmcneal should not be trusted
Higher tire pressure can save your life!

http://www.officer.com/article/artic...on=19&id=27281

I've been running 50 PSI (maxside wall 51) for sometime now, this article will now convince me to go ahead and bump it to the 60 mark!
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

jasonlab is an unknown quantity at this point
****, didnt know that. ill wait to see what the other guys say. it makes sense to me. might do it. running 32 right now.
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
50 PSI on im assuming ur civic, cant be good O_O the book recommends 32 for a reason ummm yeah
Old 04-24-2006
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
You know if that a police site thats pretty wack.. I mean seriously, that girl hanging out the window with no helmet? and noooo seat belt.

Heres a website promoting saftey on tires, with apperently a dissregard for this chicks saftey.. WTF?

On a side note, i dont think i can put 100 psi in my KDW's
Old 04-24-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
You're all misinterpreting it.
Its saying that because a cop car has all that **** in it, it weighs more, so bump up the pressure over a regular crown vic. It doesn't mean its safe, or smart, nor should you exceed the max pressure.
1. it can unseat the bead
2. it minimizes the contact patch
3. no tread on the road means no traction
4. no tread on the ground in the rain = instant hydroplane
5. you'll wear a line into the center of the tread and wear nothing else.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 04-24-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
REALLY!!! Thank you Boilermaker1 for bringing some sense here.

1st off that site is all a bunch of suggestions. NO scientific data of any kind = disregard it.
Why does everyone take literally everything they read? If it doesnt have scientific data, or the data and figures seem biased, you should be extremly biased against the material. Think for yourself people!
(I am sorry if I sound really critical, but I am in college for an engineering degree and now I realize I should believe nothing I hear unless there is proof. Dont bring religion to this, I am talking anything involving physics, chemistry, etc. I do not accept the word of a person who has no grasp of what is really going on.)
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Its saying that because a cop car has all that **** in it, it weighs more, so bump up the pressure over a regular crown vic. It doesn't mean its safe, or smart, nor should you exceed the max pressure.
4. no tread on the ground in the rain = instantant hydroplane
Thank You
Old 04-24-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i hope nobody is stupid enough to run more than 35psi on the 7thgen
Old 04-24-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
4. no tread on the ground in the rain = instantant hydroplane
Uh... whaaaaaaaaat!?!?!?
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by gearbox
i hope nobody is stupid enough to run more than 35psi on the 7thgen
I'm at 37 right now but set it to 40 when they get uneven. I'm not on stock tires tho
Old 04-24-2006

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
~30 is perfect for me, since I do a good amount of highway driving but enjoy twisty back roads at ridiculous speeds any time its nice out too.
Old 04-24-2006
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
18 is my track pressure, 32 is my street.
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

drive_fast_dail has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I wouldnt say that the article is wrong, it makes perfect sense to me for what they are talking about. A crown vic is a really heavy car and with all the equipment, they should be running almost truck like pressures on it. But, yeah its a bad idea to ever exceed the mas pressure given just for liability reasons. But dont try to match the pressures on a civic to a crown vic they are totally different. You got to note that they are talking about departments experiencing better tire longevity and lower cost doing this. Numbers might be nice but they have a point certainly.

We had an arguement on this before, lets not start again, but I run 38 front/34 rear and have been doing it for 5000 miles on these tires. The edge is still wearing quicker.
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Also with such high pressure, it easier to blow out your tire when you hit something, like a pothole. Max I would go is 40psi.
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

shawnstanley is an unknown quantity at this point
I run 60 psi, but that is what my tires call for on the sidewall. I would strongly recomend not running anything higher than what the tire calls for, those numbers are there for a reason. The manufacturer knows at what psi the belts will bend at causing a smaller contact patch and premature tire wear.
Old 04-24-2006
250+ awhp Stage 2

SLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ramcosca
Uh... whaaaaaaaaat!?!?!?
make the tire where it cannot hold air anymore. The bead is between the rubber and rim lip. Without it no air can be held in the tires. They seat together and form a bond.
Old 04-24-2006

what tires you would put on a civic require 60psi?
Old 04-24-2006
250+ awhp Stage 2

SLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by shawnstanley
I run 60 psi, but that is what my tires call for on the sidewall. I would strongly recomend not running anything higher than what the tire calls for, those numbers are there for a reason. The manufacturer knows at what psi the belts will bend at causing a smaller contact patch and premature tire wear.
HAHAH are you kidding me?!?! I would also like you know what tires for a civic can take 60psi, you might be reading the sidewall size. HAHAHA "185/65/15 sweet it says 65 so lets put 65 psi in my tires because the sidewall says it can hold it"
Old 04-24-2006
rhein05 has been mutated to cIvIc_xyza

cIvIc_xyza is just really nicecIvIc_xyza is just really nicecIvIc_xyza is just really nicecIvIc_xyza is just really nicecIvIc_xyza is just really nice
nice one 2k2
Old 04-24-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
wow you dont use the number on the tire, period.
Old 04-24-2006
rhein05 has been mutated to cIvIc_xyza

cIvIc_xyza is just really nicecIvIc_xyza is just really nicecIvIc_xyza is just really nicecIvIc_xyza is just really nicecIvIc_xyza is just really nice
i looked at my tire.. where dows say tire pressure.. cant seem to find it?? oh well.. i stick with between 34-36
Old 04-24-2006
Registered!!

rjngo will become famous soon enoughrjngo will become famous soon enough
i use 30-32 all year long...stock tires
Old 04-24-2006

Mine exactly are:
205/50/16 : 30 psi (Toyo Proxes 4)
stock 14" cant remember size : 32 psi (Goodyear Viva 2 for late fall/winter/early spring only)
Old 04-25-2006
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by shawnstanley
There's a reason it says max pressure, and not recommended pressure. 60 psi is probably the max pressure the tires can take (I dunno what tires your running, but 60 psi sounds a little high to me).

Tire manufacturers don't pick the tires that go on our cars. They make the tires for all cars in general. Some cars require more psi, and some require less psi. The psi rating is there so you don't blow up the tire by putting too much pressure. The psi rating is not there to tell you what psi you should set it at. Every car requires different psi ratings, and there's no way that a tire manufacture is going to list all the psi ratings on their tires for all car manufacturers. Don't go by what it says on the sidewall.

I'm going to say this again. "There's a reason why it says max psi, and not recommended psi".
Old 04-25-2006
Registered!!

hondoer27 will become famous soon enoughhondoer27 will become famous soon enough
That whole artical is a bunch of
Old 04-25-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
I be rollin' at 40 psi. And BTW, 60 psi is usually what a load range C and up tire (Read: Truck tire) is usually rated for max pressure.
Old 04-26-2006
Registered!!

goodtimes is on a distinguished road
i run 36psi front and about 40psi in the rear
Old 04-29-2006
Registered!!

philmcneal should not be trustedphilmcneal should not be trusted
i've been running 50 psi for awhile now (my max sidewall is 51) in theory a tire manufactor has to place a number much lower than what the actual tire can support for legal reasons. IF they were to tell you the true number of what a tire can support then you bet it can be at least 2 or 3 times that number. Although certain tests (from fuel economy pros) shows that the increases in mpg greatly shows from 30 to 60 but anything over 60 is considered very useless and not worth going over for.

Although FE pros recommend 25% over the sidewall on the TIRE not what the manufactor reccommends. That recommendation is for people who drive like "normal" people and the way I drive is completely different. Then again none of you guys get the mileage I get

If you ride with me, I bet you won't even KNOW that i pumped my tires that high. Besides most of you guys have your civics for performance right? Might as well squeeze some more out of your tires.

And by the way I don't even have a spare ^^ I had tires gone off my wheel before (having my brake disc on the ground!) but that's when I was driving like a crazy **** who believed he had a "FAST" car... now that I'm changed things are completely different. And I enjoy my 800 km + tanks thank you!

hopefully by upping the ante from 50 to 60 for all my tires, I'll be able to fight rolling risistance even more and hopefully break the 1000 km a tank barrier... YES MOSTLY CITY DRIVING!!!!!!

don't believe me? that's fine enjoy your mileage then.

Last edited by philmcneal; 04-29-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2006

I am perfectly happy with my Toyos getting torn apart and not lasting more than 2 summers at 32psi. They grip oh so well that I don't care about tread now
Old 04-29-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by philmcneal
i've been running 50 psi for awhile now (my max sidewall is 51) in theory a tire manufactor has to place a number much lower than what the actual tire can support for legal reasons. IF they were to tell you the true number of what a tire can support then you bet it can be at least 2 or 3 times that number. Although certain tests (from fuel economy pros) shows that the increases in mpg greatly shows from 30 to 60 but anything over 60 is considered very useless and not worth going over for.

Although FE pros recommend 25% over the sidewall on the TIRE not what the manufactor reccommends. That recommendation is for people who drive like "normal" people and the way I drive is completely different. Then again none of you guys get the mileage I get

If you ride with me, I bet you won't even KNOW that i pumped my tires that high. Besides most of you guys have your civics for performance right? Might as well squeeze some more out of your tires.

And by the way I don't even have a spare ^^ I had tires gone off my wheel before (having my brake disc on the ground!) but that's when I was driving like a crazy **** who believed he had a "FAST" car... now that I'm changed things are completely different. And I enjoy my 800 km + tanks thank you!

hopefully by upping the ante from 50 to 60 for all my tires, I'll be able to fight rolling risistance even more and hopefully break the 1000 km a tank barrier... YES MOSTLY CITY DRIVING!!!!!!

don't believe me? that's fine enjoy your mileage then.

seriously...if we were allowed to ban on opinion alone...you'd be gone with the first post...

people like you help to start reckless rumors that screw people up on here..take your comments and put them in a box, put the box in a trash can, add some gas and throw a match....

if you're going to try and spread crap like this you need to go

facts are facts are facts are facts, not everything is a govt. conspiracy.

oh and btw call me from the hospital when your decreased rolling resistance (read hydroplaning and dry road skidding) sends you into a tree

Quick Reply: Higher tire pressure can save your life!