Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Higher tire pressure can save your life!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by philmcneal
Prove me wrong?

Okay, I will

Everybody who gets 80 mpg, raise your hand

Oh wow, looks like NOBODY is raising their hand. I bet if you had a Hybrid you would be getting 200 mpg, I suppose?
Old 05-19-2006
Registered!!

philmcneal should not be trustedphilmcneal should not be trusted
^ i meant when your in 5th gear for that moment... instanteious..... now I know where I went wrong someone misunderstood me.

I didn't mean average, if that's what you meant lol when that moment your crusing in 5th at low rpms with barely enough throttle to maintain speed or bleed it off, then that's what your getting in the mean time. (at that exact moment until you can't be in 5th anymore due to speed dropping too much)

5th is a powerful gear folks.

If i had a hybrid, indeed i'd see 80 mpg and i would shoot for triple digits. Like what Wayne Gredies did in his honda insight

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725

Last edited by philmcneal; 05-19-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
You are rediculous. Your engine bogs down, great, WTF? Not enough torque, I mean common sense ****.

Flat or sloping down, if you cannot tell then just keep up with the same speed, cause if the hill is that level then it is not worth it to let off the throttle like that.

Again, WOW, your getting high gass mileage while your coasting down a hill in gear? Really, Hmmm could that be cause our ecu cuts the fuel Hmmm. Tough one.

You shift like a normal person, wow amazing.
Old 05-19-2006
Registered!!

You are rediculous. Your engine bogs down, great, WTF? Not enough torque, I mean common sense ****.
what i'm trying to do is using the available torque (which is very little at the rpms i'm trying to cruise at) to maintain or bleed off my speed... and at that low rpms i'm injecting very little fuel as possible to achieve that.

Flat or sloping down, if you cannot tell then just keep up with the same speed, cause if the hill is that level then it is not worth it to let off the throttle like that.
the problem with that is, your burning too much gas to maintain that same speed when the same can be achieved with using much less fuel (in 5th as opposed to being in 4th)

Again, WOW, your getting high gass mileage while your coasting down a hill in gear? Really, Hmmm could that be cause our ecu cuts the fuel Hmmm. Tough one.
the momentum ruined by being in gear greatly diminishes any chance you have of actually coasting (blame the gear your in and the engine creating drag for the wheels). If It was up to me I'd coast as much as possible, screw the 5th gear but I don't live in a perfect world and there are such things as tailgaters behind me. And for some (not sure about our cars) but the ECU still burns a tiny bit of fuel just to keep the emission system happy. My scangauge tells me I'm still burning fuel even without touching the throttle, although that itself is a whole new debate.... (since the SG has bugs of its own)

You shift like a normal person, wow amazing.
out of all people, you should know jack considering my activity at the standardshift.com forums. What kind of impression did you get when I was going up the gears?

Last edited by philmcneal; 05-19-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2006
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
are you calculating your fuel economy correctly?
Old 05-19-2006
Registered!!

no my last two tanks i've been doing the petty (fill up only 10 bucks 10 bucks 10 bucks!)

so now i'm back to when gas is empty fill it to the RIMSSSSSSS but since i have to wait for at least 3 weeks or so to fill... i sometimes forgot lol...

it should be within 10 percent at least or so.... right now my scangauge odometer reads 550 km with the needle pointing almost half (40%), and my actual civic odometer is 555 km so i once again probably messed up my calibration...

there are times when the recepit wouldn't print out and to add on top of that i forgot a damn pen to write down the numbers! argh what's worse is not having the caculator makes things so much harder since i'm a real lazy bastard.

All i know is, by the time its time to fill up, i forgot to do what i'm suppose to do and yes I drive daily all day! I got school and work to worry about too you know...

hopefully this tank i'll be able to prove if the SG is BS or real! hopefully i don't forget to bring a pen otherwise i just have the "**** it" addiute. since in my heart (lol) i know i spend less gas than the chums on the road I see daily.

i think the way is to, everytime you fill up gas reset odometer? take that number and write it on your recepit then divide by the number of liters you put in.

I only fill to the first "click" i dont overfill like some hardcore FE folks do, and everytime I do i bless my NOS sign (since its stickied agaist my gas tank) and use the window washer to clean it out. I think I had an accident where gas was on my body and I got rust!!!!!!!!!!!! D:

One more thing, Cheveron gas only for me, even though they are a evil piece of corpoation.... but that's why I hypermile in the first place screw that they are getting less of my money as little as possible with my convienece. I rather spend the extra bucks on fast food (even though they are evil too) or bc liquore store (evil as well!)

Last edited by philmcneal; 05-19-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-19-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I KNOW IT IS ALL PRETTY SIMPLE!
You are acting like you are some super driver, and just keep repeating the same damn ****.

Impressions, what are you talking about? You described the textbook shift, waiting for rpms to drop, that is what every stick shift driver does, or at least should. It is taught over seas in basic driving school.

I cant take it any more. Some of what you are writing, or should I say a substantial proportion has no meaning. You are talking in circles and your logic is skewed.
I am gone.
Old 05-19-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jackburton
I KNOW IT IS ALL PRETTY SIMPLE!
Then why aren't you convinced? Everytime you had a concern about something I did I answered back, you haven't done the same for me.

You are acting like you are some super driver,
Trust me if you think I'm a super driver your terribly wrong, you haven't gone over here to drive where I live. People are much more hardcore than I when driving on the road, I garentee it.
Impressions, what are you talking about? You described the textbook shift, waiting for rpms to drop, that is what every stick shift driver does, or at least should. It is taught over seas in basic driving school.
Well I was trying to prove that my car still runs yes?

and just keep repeating the same damn ****.
Well because you raised concerned, so I try to reword it in different ways to help you understand.

I cant take it any more. Some of what you are writing, or should I say a substantial proportion has no meaning.
But I've backed them up yes? The meaning of saving gas is not good enough?

You are talking in circles and your logic is skewed.
I am gone.
Don't worry, I wasn't converted in a day, it took a lot of eipiphanies to uncover the truth I'm trying to show you guys.

Last edited by philmcneal; 05-19-2006 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2006
Registered!!

Convinced of what? Tire pressure will add to gas mileage, but I still do not think 60 psi is wise. I never said you were not getting 50mpg or that for short periods you may be gettting 80 mpg, I do not really care.

From what you wrote it sounds like you think your driving habits are superior, I would get some examples but there are too many to choose from. You just have to scroll up.

What truth, wtf are you talking about? So far you wrote a bunch of babble that could have been summed up in a sentence. Increase tire pressure, conserve momentum, stay in 5th gear, coast if at all pssible, control your speed, and be easy. And once again it is all pretty common sense stuff and by no means a mystical "truth" that can be "uncovered."
Now seriously, I am gone.
Old 05-19-2006
Registered!!

SVOboy is an unknown quantity at this point
His point, I should say, is that most people do not drive like this, and believe that 30mpg on the highway is some magic number. Some simple driving techniques that very few people practice can save a lot, but no one knows about it or cares to discuss it.

He and I are both simply concerned with propogating this information. I'm glad you know these things and they are common sense to you, but had people not told me these things and I didn't know people getting 65 mpg in their stock del sols I wouldn't have imagined it or known how to do it, so let's not yell and be rude and ruin it for people who don't already know everything.
Old 05-19-2006
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Actually what I find completly silly is how philmcneal has taken this One lone site and quoted them as "fact". when EVERY other site from tire mfg's to .Gov have basically said the exact opposite.

you said it best.
even sillyer how some random kook with an internet connection thinks he outsmarted a century-old industry.

The way I look at it is "Manufacturer knows best". They hire scientists and engineers to study, test, and build the stuff, and eliminate the guesswork for the consumer.
Old 05-19-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
I vote philmcneal for ban.

basis:
annoyance
spewing arrogance and mis-information as truth
will not let go of said mis-information.

Originally Posted by philmcneal
those are segments, if I were to drive those segments over and over again and calculate my average then I would get a number. If I'm consistant of keeping that segment into the high 50's then my mpg would be around 50 yes no?

Quote:
By driving like a grandma with a load of eggs in the back, aren't you worried about carbon build up in your engine?

there are times I have to speed up (drivers behind me ;(), and I rip it up before an oil change. (redline that is)

Quote:
i sure would be. ^ thats just bad driving practice.

nah if you ride with me, you wouldn't even notice what I'm doing, in fact you can enjoy the scenery more and wouldn't feel any surges or jerks to my driving I try to be smooth even with my high pressure, jackrabbit go and stops will be a rough ride like gearbox said.
trying to swing around what you said in the beginning about consistenly getting an average of 50+ mpg in a regular civic, whjen now you're saying you take random measurements from periods of driving. that does not equal a full tank buddy. also what is this converting crap? you trying to turn yourself into a mormon gas-god? you find the chevron card of jehovah buried in the sand at the foot of a pump?

once again i state:

PHILMCNEAL FOR BAN
Old 05-20-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
I am glad I got out of this b!tch fest of a thread.
Old 05-20-2006

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Okay, so two weeks ago, you were getting 40 mpg average? Don't believe that's what you said? Here's proof

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...&postcount=209

Read last line

And now you're claiming 50 mpg in your sig? What changed? Other then you being a douchebag and trying to spread "THE TRUTH" OMG BOW DOWN TO THE TRUTH

By the way, this was a great thread, proving that it's not just us who think you're f*cking retarded and would suck your own d*ck if given the chance

http://www.cartalkcanada.com/forum/i...c,45824.0.html

I think what the problem is is that you're a poor motherf*cker. Seriously, why do you care so much? If you cared that much about saving a precious resource, you would either ride a bike to work, or take a horse and buggy wherever you needed to go. You don't though, so it's a matter of convienence, rather then principal. I think that the only reason you're saying this is because you want to believe that what you're doing is helping the earth, that you're not using as much fuel as other people, to stroke your own ego, and so you don't have to cry yourself to sleep at night for using one more unnecessary gallon of gas . Is it worth all this **** to "save" gas as you supposedly do? If you care that ****ing much, go buy a Prius, suck your own d*ck while driving it, and you'll be happier that you're getting 300 mpg and our eyes won't feel as stupid.

I second the motion for philmcneal ban. Feel free to sing this litle ditty I wrote
BAN!
BAN!
BAN!
BAN!

....philmcneal!

Last edited by 01hondercivic; 05-20-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-20-2006
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
turning off the engine while coasting? dont you lose your power steering if you do that?

Oh and about the 80 mpg for an instant, it doesnt mean ****, my parents rented a chevy uplander minivan with 3.9L V6 while we were in the east coast and the instantaneous mpg meter showed 70+ mpg every time the van was coasting or braking, so what? the average mpg indicated at 23 mpg for our 1 week stay.

Last edited by dalaw; 05-20-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
LOL wow the drama!
Old 05-20-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
PHILMCNEAL FOR BAN
If we got that much MPG wouldnt you think Honda would brag about it?
Old 05-21-2006
Registered!!

blk04civiclx is an unknown quantity at this point
"arguing online is like the special olympics. Even though you win, you're still retarded"
Old 05-21-2006
In love with Diana...te amo

boricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond reputeboricua_civic has a reputation beyond repute
I think youre going on someone's signature
Old 05-21-2006
Registered!!

Okay, so two weeks ago, you were getting 40 mpg average? Don't believe that's what you said?
I"ve improved, I learn new things everyday. And remember it takes weeks (1 month if i'm really lucky) for me to drain my gas tank, a lot can happen within those weeks since I try new ways to improve my FE everytime (in terms of driving ability).

turning off the engine while coasting? dont you lose your power steering if you do that?
yep, but since i'm already rolling at a certain speed it feels like I still have it, its only more noticeable when you slow down.

Seriously, why do you care so much?
i'm just trying to share info, wouldn't you want to use less and still get there with barely any time difference? (don't underestimate what a red light can do to your speeding) I'm sure many of you have the option of using less sooner or later but many of us still need to drive just because we have to. If you can convert one, and convert another then evenually everyone will start using less isn't that a good thing? Espically for the air.

I'll wait till you guys are more civil to discuss until then I'll go away for now and return sometime in the future when you guys are more serious about saving quite a few gallons in the city.

On the highway my techniques are useless so I just drive in the right lane.

edit: however on the plus side, i bought myself an electric scooter so I did take some of your guys advice. I will be using it when I feel I don't need to drive to work or school, since I realize my average speeds are as fast as this EV scooter will go. However when I feel I need the comfort of my own car, you'll know I'll be using as less fuel as possible to get to A to B.

See you guys later.

Last edited by philmcneal; 05-21-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
PHILMCNEAL FOR BAN
wtf close the thread
Old 05-23-2006
Registered!!

Who turns their car off while drving LOL
I mean think about it, coasterLOL
Old 05-23-2006
Registered!!

drive_fast_dail has a little shameless behaviour in the past
this escalated into a retarded argument, in what could have been a good dicusion. Too bad a lot of people are closeminded and just argue about things without really knowing much about it. I run higher tire pressure because I know when I run stock I rape the edges in no time. There is some gas mileage benifit, but you would have to get a really controlled test to see exactly what it is. Chances are type of tires makes more difference than pressure so long as you arent under manufacture recomended. philmcneal has some good and some bad suggestions. Im sure he has greatly improved his fuel economy even though he cant quantify how much each thing changes it. Main thing if you like fuel economy is just accelerate as slow that is reasonable, and take it out of gear and coast when going down a hill or approaching a light. The biggest gains are going to be simply with driving style. One thing that you just shoudnt do is turn the car off when you are coasting, this is a bad and dangerous idea. Idle is pretty efficient, while turning it off you loose all power assistance, steering is managable the main concern is braking, you really got to be strong with the foot to stop quickly without power assist. Keep the car running at all times when you are moving. Hes just trying to promote people who want lower gas consumption can easily lower it by what they do. You can get over EPA if you really care to, EPA hasnt a certain testing procedure honda can only advertise at that rating.

One thing to take away is just realize how bad running tire pressure low is. Whether you like buying tires or dont corner particularly hard and run stock pressure or run higher. Make sure its at least the 30 psi.
Old 05-23-2006

Aww, How noble, a self ban. If only we could make it permanent. Do yourself a favor, Don't come back, because we know you're full of **** now, and we know you'll be full of **** again in the future. Did you even read the article you originally posted? It reccomended that you inflate to the MAX SIDEWALL PRESSURE, not 20 pounds above it. I seriously hope that you blow a tire and hurt yourself, that way you'll realize that the rest of the people who share the roads deserve to live more then you deserve to get "50" miles per gallon in the city.
Old 05-23-2006
Registered!!

zadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation

Originally Posted by drive_fast_dail
...while turning it off you loose all power assistance, steering is managable the main concern is braking, you really got to be strong with the foot to stop quickly without power assist...
This is not entirely true.

Some models have electric power steering. Designed to run when the engine is not idling. Some models have reserve braking power, designed to run whent the engine is not idling.
Old 05-24-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by zadscmc
This is not entirely true.

Some models have electric power steering. Designed to run when the engine is not idling. Some models have reserve braking power, designed to run whent the engine is not idling.
neither of which are available on a 7th gen civic.....
Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

can we close this thread? 50mpg?wasnt he saying 80 before? higher tire pressure? wtf no go away 14 or 15' tires blown to those high pressure #'s sounds dumb hondas manual recommends 32 for a reason jeez didnt i say this already CLOSE PLEASE
Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

Well they recomend 32 for a comfotable ride. Pumping them up to 40-45 is prob not going to wear your tires. You can test with chalk if you would like. You will have better handleing and gas mileage at the expense of ride comfort. And they do test tires to rediculous amounts, but pumping your tires up to 60 psi is just pushing your luck, and has to wear the tires like crazy.

Truck dealers sometimes do not inflate their tires enough so that the trucks ride smoothly, but that is sooooo dangerous. My friend told me that that was the trouble with a lot of the firestone tires that were blowing, ford dealers were underinflating the tires, at like 25psi. I do not know for sure about the firestone cause it is hearsay, but it makes sense about dealers underinflating tires. It makes sense because when people test drive cars, they look for a comfotable ride, at least most people in the US.
Old 05-24-2006
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
The better handling part is debateable, as simply increasing the overall PSI will simply increase steering responsiveness. which doesnt mean the car is handling better, it will simply "Feel" as if it is.

From some one who uses their car for compitition, I've seen first hand what a 1-2 LB difference in psi can make in regards to handling balance.
Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

I know my tires roll over easier at below the recomended 32 so I would assume they would roll over even less if they were pumped up higher.
Is that not better handleing?

Quick Reply: Higher tire pressure can save your life!