Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

upgraded to powerslot

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005
You bought a used dog??

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
def01tones will become famous soon enough
upgraded to powerslot

i just finished cruzin around to work in my rotors and pads and i dont really feel a difference from stock to powerslot/hawk hps. hopefully it'll feel better once their brocken in. also i was looking at the rotors and noticed the pads looked like they were touching the rotor. is that right or is there supposed to be like .5mm gap or something???
Old 10-01-2005
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
The pads are always just touching the rotor.

And the main difference should be in the lower temps that the brakes will see and the loss of brake fade.
Old 10-01-2005
Registered!!

tamazoid is an unknown quantity at this point
Get some better brake fluid and stainless steel brake lines... It should give you better brake feel! I know I did! And I don't really notice fading when I go auto-x and track!
Old 10-01-2005
You bought a used dog??

def01tones will become famous soon enough
^^^yeah i do need to bleed the brakes and put new fluid, so ill be doing that pretty soon. how would stainless brake lines improve stopping??
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by def01tones
^^^yeah i do need to bleed the brakes and put new fluid, so ill be doing that pretty soon. how would stainless brake lines improve stopping??
They don't, they help with "feel".
Old 10-02-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
hmm i've heard they are supposed to stop better. Guess not. But as least they won't overheat and warp like stupid stock. Mine feel very shakey when using em more than a few times.
Old 10-02-2005
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
yea i still have a little shake in the steering wheel while braking, but they work fine and feel fine in the pedal, whenever the time comes im'a upgrade my rotors too.
Old 10-02-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
thats from the crap stock rotors. If you use em at high speeds especially they overheat fast.
Old 10-02-2005
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
try slamming on the brakes... you'll notice the stop distance decrease.
Old 10-02-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Blahman240
try slamming on the brakes... you'll notice the stop distance decrease.
A same size rotor serves no purpose for decreasing stopping distance. So he's not going to feel anything.

Honestly, why anyone bothers wasting money on anything more than blanks is beyond me.
This car doesn't weigh enough and can't go fast enough to overpower the brakes under anything but race track conditions.
Old 10-02-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
the pads looked like they were touching the rotor. is that right or is there supposed to be like .5mm gap or something???
When you realize how small 1/2 a mm is, you'll realize why you can't see it.
Stick a piece of paper between the pad and the rotor.... a piece of paper is between .007 and .010"
There will not be a visible gap, all there is is the pressure being released.
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by dariusld
They don't, they help with "feel".
the rubber brake lines expand when pressurized, (pascal's law) stainless steel is more reselent to streaching, since it's made of metal and all...so yes, it does improve braking. plus, SS does not rot, tear, or ware out as much as rubber.... you are less likely to die in a firey crash.
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

dariusld is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by civic-king
the rubber brake lines expand when pressurized, (pascal's law) stainless steel is more reselent to streaching, since it's made of metal and all...so yes, it does improve braking. plus, SS does not rot, tear, or ware out as much as rubber.... you are less likely to die in a firey crash.
I would like to see brake testing showing improvement.

Last edited by dariusld; 10-02-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
what do you mean, brake test? it would not decrease stopping distance, if that is what you're asking, but it would just resist corrosion more, and take less effort to produce maximum pressure on caliper pistons. i consider that to be an improvment.