Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Why am I skidding

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005
This is not my batman glass!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trusted
Why am I skidding

**** this happened three times since i got my car a couple weeks ago.. my brake is kinda stiff soo when i brake, like how i would normally break on my dads accord, my car skids like 1/4 of a car length almost hit a guy making a left turn,, what the hell is wrong with my brakes.. i have brand u bridgestone tires btw..

also i bought it at 51000km
Old 08-09-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
tires, not brakes. skidding is when the tires skit across the pavement/whatever your on. bridgestones are crap imo. michelins are the way to go, from personal experience from my family of civics of course. or it could be that your brakes are new and stiff like they are supposed to be opposed to the heavy *** accord.
Old 08-09-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
Dont drive so fast!!!
Old 08-09-2005

saugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trustedsaugashan should not be trusted
i dont 60 km/h isnt fast
Old 08-09-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
was it wet out?
Did you stomp on the brakes, causing them to lock up, while going 60km/h?
Old 08-09-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
actually its the fact that there is no abs and that u brake too hard too late...and bridgestones are not crap the old firestones are...bridgestones are some of the best tires out there...other than pirelli, yokohama/advan, kumho
Old 08-09-2005
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
whell if its an uneven surface and you dont have ABS...that can explain it
Old 08-09-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
abs, tread wear on tires, wet roads, freakin psi in the tires has everything to do with it. check it all out. and don't slam on brakes if you don't have to. do you drive a stick? know how to downshift? it helps alot. also check your brake/clutch fluid. if the brake fluid is overfilled it could have something to do with it. there is a fill line marked on the fluid cylinder right under the cap.
Old 08-09-2005
Registered!!

yeah definitly, too hard too late, or tires are old and it was wet out.
Old 08-09-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
but the thing is that he said he got the civic a couple weeks ago so im assuming its a new 04-05 unless its used...either way too hard too late sounds like it without the abs
Old 08-09-2005

its a 02 used civic lx auto, and the tires are brand new still has those spikey things on them and it hot as hell outside 31 degress celcius, no rain
Old 08-09-2005
Registered!!

Narfcake is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ragingSPAM
...and bridgestones are not crap the old firestones are...
Just as there are good Firestone tires, there are crappy Bridgestone tires too. Brand isn't everything.

-- Kane
Old 08-09-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Did you pounce on the brakes? meaning was this an emergency stop?

any way it seems to me as if you just haven't gotten the feel of the Civic's brakes Vs your dads Accord (you cant really compair the feel between them)

any way, My recomendation... Learn threashold braking...
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=11
to pratice, find an empty road and try to stop as quicky as possible, with out locking up the tires... if you lock the tires, reduce brake preasure... repeat untill you are consistant with it. (If you are on stock pads you may end up causing a bit of brake fade due to multiple hard stops... just let them cool down by driving around and lightly using the brakes, dont just park the car or you will glaze the pads.)
Old 08-09-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
the "big 3" is not just for cars...it's for tires too

Originally Posted by ragingSPAM
...and bridgestones are not crap the old firestones are...bridgestones are some of the best tires out there...other than pirelli, yokohama/advan, kumho

Originally Posted by NARKcake
Just as there are good Firestone tires, there are crappy Bridgestone tires too. Brand isn't everything.

-- Kane
Couldn't have sdaid it better

Firestone, GoodYear, and Michelin are the big 3 U.S. manufacturers. now lets see...aside from bridgestone, which one of those three has the word -stone- in it? they make those tires. so its not safe to assume that just bridgestone is bad or just firestones or the old ones...if it was Honda would NEVER let the dealer sites put those on the cars or the factorys put those on the cars...

anyways you might just need to practice your driving like ZZyzx said do some thresholding... maybe you just need to become a driver who is aware of his car and has a feel for how it drives...in other words practice makes perfect..but not complete...
Old 08-09-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Michelin is actually a French company...
Old 08-09-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
talking about the Michelin Tire and rubber co. of North America

french roots but brought over as a sort of sister company. I'm also referring to the sales as well in terms of the 3 largest retailers. Sorry I didn't clarify
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Michelin is actually a French company...